I love my Z2 but it cracked.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love my Z2, but the thin ferrule cracked, so I epoxied the chiped out area until I could get it to San Diego to be repaired. I continued playing with it for a couple of months, until the shaft cracked apart in two for about 6 inches.

The crack was in a straight line in half. I was expecting to see a pin wheel crack as the sections are laminated, but the wood must have cracked/sheared, but not at the pin wheel bond line.

I have now epoxied the crack and will bond/add a Kamui Clear, or similar, to it. I see the soft material in the hollow center, but I don't know what purpose it serves for it isn't structural. This material is also depressed in the tip edge creating an air pocket under the leather tip.
 
It's to make mass weight at the tip end lighter, results in low deflection.

Predator put 10 pieces together, then bore a hole in the center of the shaft, put some epoxy (I think) in there, it is sure lighter than wood itself, to make the shaft less hollow, but still generate low deflection.

Mezz does the same with the tip end of the WD/WX700 shafts, but the shafts are solid one piece maple.
 
If possible can you post some pic's of the shaft?
I've heard of this happening but have never seen it.
Or can anyone else with cracked or falling apart predator shafts please post pic's.
 
A Predator ferrule failing - what are the odds?

How long after you noticed the small split in the ferrule did it fail? Was it a long time or did it go quite quickly?

I have a small crack in my 314-2 and want to know how long I've got until it needs replacing. Some pictures of yours would be good too, as a mate has a shaft where the glue lines have failed, and I'm going to try to epoxy it for him.
 
A Predator ferrule failing - what are the odds?

How long after you noticed the small split in the ferrule did it fail? Was it a long time or did it go quite quickly?

I have a small crack in my 314-2 and want to know how long I've got until it needs replacing. Some pictures of yours would be good too, as a mate has a shaft where the glue lines have failed, and I'm going to try to epoxy it for him.

Well, after epoxying the chip out and playing for a couple of months like that, the ferrule cracked in half, splitting the shaft behind it for about 4-5 inches. The ferrule must not be very strong and brittle.

I epoxied the crack and tennon, it doesn't look like it is cracked now, and I will put a leather tip on a G10, glass filled and stronger than the plastic that cracked, disk and epoxy that on top of the tennon without a ferrule. I am now shooting with my OB and Tiger LD shafts.

No biggie.
 
A Predator ferrule failing - what are the odds?

Some rare British humor by my friend from across the pond, what are the odds?
I've seen quite a few failed Predator ferrules in the years that my Exploding Ferrules Company has been in business.
My partner is an expert at repairing cracked Predator shafts.
Predator, some old Meucci's & Vikings, are directly responsible for the company name.
 
I found a marking pen cap at Office Depot that was a tight fit to the diameter of the cracked ferrule and I epoxied it to the end of the shaft. The cap was injection molded with a plastic that isn't as brittle as the original ferrule and won't crack - I hope.

I cut the end off of the pen cap and filled the cavity with epoxy and epoxied the original tip to the end. I can't tell any difference at the table even though it maybe a couple of milligrams heavier.
 
I found a marking pen cap at Office Depot that was a tight fit to the diameter of the cracked ferrule and I epoxied it to the end of the shaft. The cap was injection molded with a plastic that isn't as brittle as the original ferrule and won't crack - I hope.

I cut the end off of the pen cap and filled the cavity with epoxy and epoxied the original tip to the end. I can't tell any difference at the table even though it maybe a couple of milligrams heavier.

Lol.

..........
 
I found a marking pen cap at Office Depot that was a tight fit to the diameter of the cracked ferrule and I epoxied it to the end of the shaft. The cap was injection molded with a plastic that isn't as brittle as the original ferrule and won't crack - I hope.



I cut the end off of the pen cap and filled the cavity with epoxy and epoxied the original tip to the end. I can't tell any difference at the table even though it maybe a couple of milligrams heavier.


Hahaha. Magruber would have done the same


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top