I need expert advice on selling cues over the internet.

mjdoutdoors

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a couple of high end cues I want to sell by posting them online (like AZ For sale items and FB). However I am nervous about not getting paid or scammed. The buyer will get the cue just like I promise, as I will not cheat anyone, but I want to make sure I get paid. How do experts here on AZ that sell cues often go about selling safely? I know PayPal can hold funds but I am not sure how that works. I bought something direct from the seller awhile back using Pay Pal and I remember I had to release the funds when I received the item. That seemed safe. Looking for advice.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a couple of high end cues I want to sell by posting them online (like AZ For sale items and FB). However I am nervous about not getting paid or scammed. The buyer will get the cue just like I promise, as I will not cheat anyone, but I want to make sure I get paid. How do experts here on AZ that sell cues often go about selling safely? I know PayPal can hold funds but I am not sure how that works. I bought something direct from the seller awhile back using Pay Pal and I remember I had to release the funds when I received the item. That seemed safe. Looking for advice.
Beyond easy to get screwed.
List here and sell in person.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Deal only with people that have a solid history of reliable transactions. It's not that hard.
98% of the time, people get into trouble when they get greedy and fall for tall tales from people that have no history.
Learn how to explore the profiles of the people that respond to your ads and then apply some critical thinking to what you learn about them.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Deal only with people that have a solid history of reliable transactions. It's not that hard.
98% of the time, people get into trouble when they get greedy and fall for tall tales from people that have no history.
Learn how to explore the profiles of the people that respond to your ads and then apply some critical thinking to what you learn about them.
Strongly agree

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
If you don't sell in person, Escrow is the only option.

Unless you want to roll the dice.

Why would you want to roll the dice?

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
OK first off, you are the seller. Tougher to scam the seller, than to be a scammer as a seller. You will be on the receiving end of the cash. The theoretical way you could get scammed is someone reverses a charge on a G/S payment, or CC payment. The reason is irrelevant because they will 99% side with the buyer. He sends you back some stick, or dowels or an empty box. Now you are in trouble. At this point assume the position. This has happened, there are as many bad buyers as there are sellers.
There is no 100% way of leaving yourself fully protected of anything. One mans straight in another mans taper roll. No matter how good you describe it. I do say that you should have a scale, calipers and be as descriptive as you can be.
From the point of view as an escrow agent: I am not responsible after I ship it. You have to pay an extra shipping cost PLUS my time. If I have to verify your cue measurements and description, repackage the cue, and then go ship it.. my time is valuable.... Surely you will want to have someone that actually knows cues to be your agent.
What about ivory? Do the cues have it? What is your responsibility in that regard?
Just some things to consider...
JV

Reactions: bbb

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
open a separate bank account you only use for the transactions. have him wire the money in from a bank.