I should (but don't) remember the 1986 Rule governing this interesting 9-Ball situation

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the I:22:50 point of the below 1986 Sigel-Garcia match (which had $40,000 first-place prize money) you'll see Mike scratch on the break -- then seconds later -- expert commentator, Jim Rempe says: "One-Ball goes down" and the ref is seen pushing the One into a pocket.

I don't remember the approx. statement of the then-current Rule Set which governed the ref doing so.
I believe it's related to "All Foul-shot Balls stay down" after Garcia's posture indicated that he was going to pursue the option of "incoming player accepts the layout" (rather than electing the option of having the balls re-racked, for him to break.)

Arnaldo ~ Thanks to those enviable Repliers who do remember what rule governed the circumstances. (Perhaps the same rule still governs.) ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It must have been bih behind the line and nothing ever spots. That may have been a transition rule between everything spots and the current spotting/bih rules.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure why they would have pocketed the 1 if it was still on the table. In the behind the line rule in 9 ball after the break if the lowest ball was also behind the line it would be spotted. Not sure why any would be pocketed if they were still on the table unless they added some odd rule to make it easier on the incoming player.

Cuedup

If a ball is sitting on the head spot then the 1 would be spotted behind it. It would makes sense to down the 1 to not penalize the incoming shooter.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a ball is sitting on the head spot then the 1 would be spotted behind it. It would makes sense to down the 1 to not penalize the incoming shooter.

I think under that situation they would spot the 1 in front of that ball. Similar rule in 14.1 and one pocket, if for some reason all the spaces on the spot to the rail are taken up (like if you had to end up spotting up 5 or 6 balls or something in a line), the next ball would be placed in front of the spot.

Cuedup

If the cue ball scratches on the break and the lowest number object ball is in the kitchen ,that ball is put down and the incoming player now shoots from the kitchen at the lowest number object ball.

Yeah, you could come up with a bunch of other spot rules. In front,behind, if , then ,but 9 ball is supposed to be simple an fast.

They put the 1 down. I believe that's why.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If the cue ball scratches on the break and the lowest number object ball is in the kitchen ,that ball is put down and the incoming player now shoots from the kitchen at the lowest number object ball.

Yeah, you could come up with a bunch of other spot rules. In front,behind, if , then ,but 9 ball is supposed to be simple an fast.

In the old days when everything spotted up, I believe you could pass the shot back if the spotted ball was behind others.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the cue ball scratches on the break and the lowest number object ball is in the kitchen, that ball is put down and the incoming player now shoots from the kitchen at the lowest number object ball.
I think you've nailed the precise explanation, Cuedup. It's likely that someone will eventually find the in-print 9-ball set of rules that were officially operating during the years around 1986, and those in-print rules will confirm essentially what was passed onto you at one time -- probably by older players in your various local pool venues. Thanks for your input and the input of others in this thread.

Arnaldo ~ Rempe and Sigel would doubtlessly remember it all from that day (seen in the video) just about like you've stated it.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure why they would have pocketed the 1 if it was still on the table. In the behind the line rule in 9 ball after the break if the lowest ball was also behind the line it would be spotted. Not sure why any would be pocketed if they were still on the table unless they added some odd rule to make it easier on the incoming player.
Texas Express was like that although it might've been derived from that everything behind the line goes down rule.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Texas Express was like that although it might've been derived from that everything behind the line goes down rule.
thumbs-up xxx3 - small version.JPG

Arnaldo ~ Good logic on your part, Straightline

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________