I think Johnny will want to win the Busty match more

thebighurt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Johnny Archer wants to win this match up with Busty even more than the one with Shane. The match with Shane was more of a match to prove to everyone that Johnny is still here. 15 or so years ago Johnny put a 15 pack on Busty(between 2 sets) and came out on the losing end of the session. That has had to eat at him for all those years. A 15 pack!!! and lose. Are you kidding me? I can see the headlines now Busty wins Day 1. Johnny runs the Day 2 set out( a 25 pack)! Busty wins the Day 3 set and Johnny Archer checks into the insane asylum. LOL

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think Johnny Archer wants to win this match up with Busty even more than the one with Shane. The match with Shane was more of a match to prove to everyone that Johnny is still here. 15 or so years ago Johnny put a 15 pack on Busty(between 2 sets) and came out on the losing end of the session. That has had to eat at him for all those years. A 15 pack!!! and lose. Are you kidding me? I can see the headlines now Busty wins Day 1. Johnny runs the Day 2 set out( a 25 pack)! Busty wins the Day 3 set and Johnny Archer checks into the insane asylum. LOL

I doubt he much cares about that one at this point, but the reputation of America in ten ball is something he cares about.

There have been four major ten ball events played in 2012: Derby City, Super Billiards Expo, HardTimes and the US Open 10-ball.

Derby City Fatboy Challenge: Bustamante wins the title with Archer and Shane in the field
Super Billiards Expo: Shane wins, but Orcullo and Bustamante are absent
Hard Times: Orcullo wins, Shane is in the field, Archer is absent
US Open 10-ball: Orcullo first with Shane and Archer in the field

In short, whenever these two Fillipinos have participated in 10-ball events on American soil in 2012, one of them has walked away with the title.

Count me among those who think that Dennis and Francisco are the two best ten ball players on the planet right now. American pros will have to start beating these guys if they want their ten ball games considered comparable to these two Fillipino superstars.

If he plays the kind of pool he did in set 3 of TAR 26, Archer has a chance to beat Francisco and restore some of the reputation of the American 10-ball player. I'm guessing that this will provide great motivation for Archer.

Wishing Johnny the best.

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
I think it was a 13 pack at 2500 a set.

Busty then asked him if he wanted to double the bet and JA said no. Then Busty beat him the last set.

Somewhere there is a picture of the table with an inscription by Johnny.

Your main point is still the same. Play like God, the guy asks to double it after you run a HUUUUGE package, and then you lose. WTF does it take to break FB's spirit if a run like that won't?

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, but then Johnny ran two games to start the third set. Hence -- 15 in a row.

I was there that night at Mariott Hotel in Toledo,ohio. Nick varner was on Johnny`s side. Pittsburg Flash was there too and played an important role. Willi Munson was also there. There were other well knowns but I now don`t remember. It was night that stays in the History Books. The guy who staked Busty was loaded with money. That dude had diamonds everywhere on him. :cool:

Last edited:

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
archer and django should be a great matchup and one i'll watch for sure, but it'd be really hard to bet against busty. the guy might run out better than anybody in the world on any size pockets, and still breaks as well as ever. and the fact he won the one-pocket and 10-ball events in mountain view back-to-back just shows how good he's playing. he lost to dennis, who's probably the best in the world right now, in the us 10-ball, but johnny's really gonna have to come with something just to keep it close. maybe i'm wrong, but i doubt it.