I think Predator needs to go back into the laboratory on their new cloth.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many pros, active pros, over 50 are there? Two?

They are the past. Too many people still living there. Who was the one pro that said anything bad about Diamond tables?

I like Gold Crown tables. But they are the past. Brunswick basically abandoned pool players decades ago. Welcome to the 21st century.
……..Lots are still alive🙄🙄🙄

Mike, Earl, Johnny, Buddy, Nick, Jim, Busty, Alex, Danny, Kim, Keith, etc.

Any of those names sound familiar????? Or do they not play good enough? Or their credentials not up to par for you.

I’m not here to hold hands and lead the blind,
Have a nice day,
Fatboy

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
……..Lots are still alive🙄🙄🙄

Mike, Earl, Johnny, Buddy, Nick, Jim, Busty, Alex, Danny, Kim, Keith, etc.

Any of those names sound familiar????? Or do they not play good enough? Or their credentials not up to par for you.

I’m not here to hold hands and lead the blind,
Have a nice day,
Fatboy
I said ACTIVE. I would consider them semi active. They are not out there pounding the tournament turf.

Name any of then that bitch about Diamond tables. That after all was the point of my post.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I said ACTIVE. I would consider them semi active. They are not out there pounding the tournament turf.

Name any of then that bitch about Diamond tables. That after all was the point of my post.
Well then you are right. The children just don’t know better.

Cheers,
Fatboy

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well then you are right. The children just don’t know better.

Cheers,
Fatboy
You are probably correct. Things change. I try to change with the flow, but it is hard sometimes. When it comes to pool, I guess the phrase that comes to my head is....
"This isn't your Daddy's Oldsmobile"

mnsneakypete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played on Predator cloth for the first time this past weekend in a tournament. I have Simonis 860 at home and I find it to play at a medium speed. I previously had 760 and it played fast but I really enjoyed playing at that speed. I have also played quite a bit on Andy 988 and I found that it played very similar to Simonis 760 - it is excellent cloth.

The Predator cloth makes 760 look like shag carpet. I absolutely hated it. I overran everything, even on the third day of play. I guess I am a slow learner, but I would never purchase it. Thinking back, any English seemed to grab the rail way too much and the cue ball would rocket away. Stick with Simonis.

RD123

I think it's called either precocious or psychosis. The jury is out. Of it's mind.

Here is the last paragraph of my July 2001 article in Billiards Digest:

If you would like to see what a very tight rack at 9 ball plays like, send me email (jewett@-----.com) and I will send back a "PRN" attachment that will let you make your own racking template. You will need a computer printer and a paper-hole punch.
I'm not claiming to be the first inventor, but I made my first racking template a long time ago. Like 1980.
Are you still sending the tacking template?

CanadianGuy

Wherever there is a sport/game where a surface is involved there seems to be a never ending discussion as to varying surface conditions. In golf it is usually the varying speed of the greens. In bowling it is the lane conditions. In tennis we have the courts. Here, with pool we have the tables and everything that is associated- cloth, rails, pockets, balls, now it seems even chalk.

Personally my favorite game is 14.1. I never enjoyed the game as much as when I played it over 40 years ago on a Gold Crown 1 with standard GC 4 7/8 corner pockets and high quality worsted cloth. I could control my speed and pocket balls and truly feel like I had some control of the table, even though I was just a part time player with a full time job and all the reponsibilities of a family, a house, etc.

I think that Brunswick had an idea, post 1961, that somehow the game should be made available to the masses for ENJOYMENT as the number one objective. Something that could be sustainable as a family recreational outlet for all generations to come forward. They produced equipment to meet that goal.

Somehow, along the way, I don't honestly know why; some people decided and also dictated that basic billiard room equipment should be so challenging in speed and ball pocketing that it would take almost full time dedication in order to achieve an even reasonable level of proficiency to actually enjoy playing the game. So we got super fast cloth, super fast rails, smaller pockets with deeper shelves, and more elastic balls.

I know, a lot of folks on here will say they love it, they need the challenge, the game ( 9 ball) was too easy ( for the pros). Great for all of you. I hope you are all very happy now - our pool rooms are mostly gone, very few young people in America dedicate any reasonable time to the game, older folks who played a lot in the 60s and 70s find the equipment way too challenging today and not fun at all, we here in America are losing the game for many reasons, of course - I will guarantee you the continued proliferation of pro cut pocket Diamond speed tables with super fast cloth will be a death call to this sport.

So to the OP here, I say, why are you surprised? This has been evolving in pool for the last 40 years. In a society that has evolved more and more to instant gratification; the pool equipment geniuses have created equipment for the masses that does just the polar opposite.

I say make the equipment more user friendly to the masses and create competitive games for the pros that have little to do with break shots . Pool can never be successful by trying to push the game from the very best players down to the masses. You need to bring the masses to the game first, as a sense of enjoyment, an outlet, recreation - and that means less challenging equipment.
another 40 years ago things were great grandaddy wish list
*shakes head*

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
another 40 years ago things were great grandaddy wish list
*shakes head*
Next time do me and you a favor and just don’t read or comment on my writings - Ok? Do you enjoy negative comments on a Sunday morning - for what purpose?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are you still sending the tacking template?
Here are the templates, http://www.sfbilliards.com/Misc/template.pdf

but....

The hole punches I've been able to find lately are useless for punching holes in sheets of mylar. Paper is much less durable.

There are lots of commercial templates available at reasonable prices.

Another option is the PermaRack which allows you to position donuts accurately. I think you could also use it to tap or train the table.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Next time do me and you a favor and just don’t read or comment on my writings - Ok? Do you enjoy negative comments on a Sunday morning - for what purpose?
easy solution is just put the guy on 'Ignore'. you can't stop someone from posting what you don't like.