I want to play at Hard Times... info appreciated

ghosttown

Registered
Hey guys,

I've heard this place is really nice, and since I'll be in the area, I'd like to see it, and play in the sunday 9 ball tourney....

Being that Im from Canada and will be travelling down by Van from Vancouver BC Im
gonna be a guy with a backpack and a cue case hailing a cab from the closest spot my buddy can get me.
i may be a little out of my element...
if anyone lives around here, or knows the area, id appreciate tips on where to stay cheap...
im not above hostels.... id rather save the cash.... also, last time i spent a period in the LA area i got to the airport by going to a
"Shuttle Hub" (a place where you can park your car and get shuttled in to the airport) for liek 7 bucks... that was from Van Nuys....
is bellflower gonna cost alot more than that? are there services like that in bellflower?

i know these are slightly stupid questions that i could find out for myself, but i guess Im also looking for
somebuddy out there in the area that may wanna hit some balls too....

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
Hey guys,

I've heard this place is really nice, and since I'll be in the area, I'd like to see it, and play in the sunday 9 ball tourney....

Being that Im from Canada and will be travelling down by Van from Vancouver BC Im
gonna be a guy with a backpack and a cue case hailing a cab from the closest spot my buddy can get me.
i may be a little out of my element...
if anyone lives around here, or knows the area, id appreciate tips on where to stay cheap...
im not above hostels.... id rather save the cash.... also, last time i spent a period in the LA area i got to the airport by going to a
"Shuttle Hub" (a place where you can park your car and get shuttled in to the airport) for liek 7 bucks... that was from Van Nuys....
is bellflower gonna cost alot more than that? are there services like that in bellflower?

i know these are slightly stupid questions that i could find out for myself, but i guess Im also looking for
somebuddy out there in the area that may wanna hit some balls too....

Going to Bellflower, you will either have to take a bus or taxi. Its maybe 20 minutes from the airport without traffic (fat chance), and double or triple that going by bus. The taxi will cost you, but Hardtimes isn't in the best of areas so you might not want to risk getting lost from the bus stop to the pool hall. As for a place to stay, there are a bunch of motels in the area, just check online for the cheapest one. There isn't much as far as hostels go, but if you look on the internet, maybe you can find one.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can fly into Long Beach, you will only be6-7 minutes from HT. It's a great pool room but dont expect a real upscale look.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a cool adventure

Beware the Jack-in the Box across the street from HT. Bring some Immodium or liquid cement Pepto Bismo.

It coulda just been me-both times.

Take care

Edit:More seriously:

HT is a great old school room-a pool hall. -Watch before you join the 'golf game' on either 6x12-the local crew can play some. There are about 6 nice heated 3 cushion tables.

The main room is directly in front of you as you enter the main front door. These tables are user friendly. The tournament room tables(note bleachers) are tougher. The 1st table you see as you step down from the counter mezanine is brutal-think snooker pockets(probably a taste less than 4 inch corner pockets).

Sunday tournaments every weekend. 1st Sunday , March 6 is a bigger tournament. $added. The bigger boys show. Goes late. If your schedule allows-that's the one that will provide the HT flavor.

Enjoy. Take care. As you would anywhere-Stay alert.

Last edited:

ric23

no stroke!!!
Silver Member
Beware the Jack-in the Box across the street from HT. Bring some Immodium or liquid cement Pepto Bismo.

It coulda just been me-both times.

Take care

LOL! If you head North on Bellflower Blvd, just past Artesia and right before the freeway entrance, there is a little family ran italian place, hole in a wall, but great tasting food! Another is Chris and Pitts bbq. east of bellflower blvd.

ghosttown

Registered
thanks to everyone who offered help.... i took a look at the hotels around HT and there seems to be some cheap ones... also looked at the italian deli, and the rib house! good to know. Im looking at flying out of LAX and just taking public transit. itll take 2 hrs to do it, but may be a good way to tour the city anyhow....
Not gonna be gambling very high stakes, but I wouldnt mind playing some 20-30$ sets with an AZBer... spread the word if you know somebuddy who'd be into that... we can work out a spot whatever way it needs to work...

demonrho

Registered Amuser
Silver Member
If you like one pocket you should stay at the Youth Hostel in Santa Monica ($22/day - Hostelling International) and catch a quick bus up to House of Billiards in Santa Monica where you can find some cheap action. If you go to Hardtimes in Bellflower, the Jack-in-the-Box across the street is fine for cheap eats.