I wonder

chin0

"Chino Miss-A-Lot"
Silver Member
Hi all,

I don't know if anyone has thought of this or a thread has been posted about this, I really want to see Ronnie O'Sullivan shoot 14.1. I think 14.1 and Snooker is a very similar game, and I think Ronnie O would dominate the game just like he did on 9-ball. Wonder how many balls he can run. Just wondering and wanted to see what everyone thinks.

Happy shooting! :)

Chino

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Ronnie never dominated 9 ball. When the IPT was starting out he played in some 9 ball tourneys and I believe he had a runner up but that is about it. He did alright in the IPT but he was still an underdog to the top players.

You are right though, there are a lot of similarities. Pattern play, breaking into the clusters, nudging balls are apart of both games. I've taken elements from both games and cross introduced each other.

Ronnie is in my opinion up there with Walter Lindrum as one of the greatest players to ever touch a cue, regardless of discipline. But he would have to dedicate himself to pool in order to dominate. If he entered the World 14.1 Championships this year I think he would make it out of the Round Robin stages, but I don't think he would make it to the round of 16.

As good as the snooker players are, we have to remember pool players are just as good at pool. He would have a rough time with John Schmidt, Danny Harriman or Thorsten Hohmann. Marop recently posted that John Schmidt ran 20 100+ runs (including some 200's) over the course of 5 days, that is ridiculously good.

The games require different skill sets. If I may use myself as an example, I have been focusing almost exclusively on snooker and playing very limited pool. My game has been pretty good recently, I've made a couple of centuries and a couple of 90sumthins within the last few weeks.

By contrast my neglected 9 ball game is in the pits. Where I used to be able to consistently beat the 9 ball ghost, it's now a battle and if I do win it's not by much. Furthermore it's been a while since I had a run over 40 in straight pool.

I believe Ronnie could make it to the top of the pool world, but he would have to dedicate himself to it and it would be at least a couple of years until it all comes together.

Last edited:

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always wondered the same thing. I think he would do very well at 14.1, it's much more like snooker than 9-ball. I always thought he had the talent to possibly break Mosconi's 526 but I think Ronnie would get bored after about 300 balls and quit. I think John Higgins would be even better at it, he's a great player and has more patience than Ronnie, it seems.

MJR77

Strong D Player
Silver Member
I wondered the exact same thing I was just too lazy to make a thread lol. I think they would be very good with little practice at games such as this and maybe even one pocket.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
When he played a challenge match with Mizerak in the late 1980's consisting of nine ball, snooker and 14.1, Steve Davis showed solid 14.1 skills, despite having never tried the game before. He had a tough go of it at nine ball, and cruised through the snooker.

Snooker skills, not surprisingly, translate well to 14.1, and I agree that the premier snooker players would make excellent 14.1 players if they focused on it.

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When he played a challenge match with Mizerak in the late 1980's consisting of nine ball, snooker and 14.1, Steve Davis showed solid 14.1 skills, despite having never tried the game before. He had a tough go of it at nine ball, and cruised through the snooker.

Snooker skills, not surprisingly, translate well to 14.1, and I agree that the premier snooker players would make excellent 14.1 players if they focused on it.

Stu, how well did Mizerak play snooker?

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wondered the exact same thing I was just too lazy to make a thread lol. I think they would be very good with little practice at games such as this and maybe even one pocket.

There are a few snooker players that I've always thought would make good one pocket players - Steve Davis, Ken Doherty and Alan MacManus. these players are known for their great strategic skills and their tenacity, and they're great at winning the end game when snookers are needed, especially Doherrty, he'll out maneuver his opponent when it's down to 2 or 3 balls on the table in snooker which is similar to the end game of one pocket.

chin0

"Chino Miss-A-Lot"
Silver Member
Ronnie never dominated 9 ball. When the IPT was starting out he played in some 9 ball tourneys and I believe he had a runner up but that is about it. He did alright in the IPT but he was still an underdog to the top players.

You are right though, there are a lot of similarities. Pattern play, breaking into the clusters, nudging balls are apart of both games. I've taken elements from both games and cross introduced each other.

Ronnie is in my opinion up there with Walter Lindrum as one of the greatest players to ever touch a cue, regardless of discipline. But he would have to dedicate himself to pool in order to dominate. If he entered the World 14.1 Championships this year I think he would make it out of the Round Robin stages, but I don't think he would make it to the round of 16.

As good as the snooker players are, we have to remember pool players are just as good at pool. He would have a rough time with John Schmidt, Danny Harriman or Thorsten Hohmann. Marop recently posted that John Schmidt ran 20 100+ runs (including some 200's) over the course of 5 days, that is ridiculously good.

The games require different skill sets. If I may use myself as an example, I have been focusing almost exclusively on snooker and playing very limited pool. My game has been pretty good recently, I've made a couple of centuries and a couple of 90sumthins within the last few weeks.

By contrast my neglected 9 ball game is in the pits. Where I used to be able to consistently beat the 9 ball ghost, it's now a battle and if I do win it's not by much. Furthermore it's been a while since I had a run over 40 in straight pool.

I believe Ronnie could make it to the top of the pool world, but he would have to dedicate himself to it and it would be at least a couple of years until it all comes together.

That is an interesting thought. I saw Ronnie played at the mosconi cup only on youtube, and it seems like he did pretty good and has made some amazing shots. Comparing to of course the great Earl, Schmidt, SVB and Danny, or the out of the world hero Efren :grin: he would struggle a lot. Another thing I wonder is, why is it hard for a snooker player to adjust to 8-ball and 9-ball? It seems that their cb controls are phenominal and their pocketing abilities are just simply amazing. Playing snooker/safe are also a large part of the game for snooker, and it is a big thing in 9-ball as well. Many times I see pool players kick, carom and, bank shots in, which is a rarity in snooker. All those things are required in 14.1, hmmm...... It would definately be something I'd want to see happen. Danny Harriman or Schmidt vs Ronnie O in 14.1 :eek:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Stu, how well did Mizerak play snooker?

Not nearly men's world class. He did manage to win a frame against Davis in what I seem to recall was a race to four, but he was badly overmatched.

muddawg

Chill Out
Silver Member
That is an interesting thought. I saw Ronnie played at the mosconi cup only on youtube, and it seems like he did pretty good and has made some amazing shots. Comparing to of course the great Earl, Schmidt, SVB and Danny, or the out of the world hero Efren :grin: he would struggle a lot. Another thing I wonder is, why is it hard for a snooker player to adjust to 8-ball and 9-ball? It seems that their cb controls are phenominal and their pocketing abilities are just simply amazing. Playing snooker/safe are also a large part of the game for snooker, and it is a big thing in 9-ball as well. Many times I see pool players kick, carom and, bank shots in, which is a rarity in snooker. All those things are required in 14.1, hmmm...... It would definately be something I'd want to see happen. Danny Harriman or Schmidt vs Ronnie O in 14.1 :eek:

I think it's hard for snooker players to adjust to 8 ball mainly because of the break... snooker players never have to slam the break. The difficulty of adjusting to 9 ball could be can number of things... like the different angles because of the smaller table, banking, kicking, jumping, etc... plus there's a different kind of mind-set for playing a rotation game than a game such as 14.1 or snooker

chin0

"Chino Miss-A-Lot"
Silver Member
I think it's hard for snooker players to adjust to 8 ball mainly because of the break... snooker players never have to slam the break. The difficulty of adjusting to 9 ball could be can number of things... like the different angles because of the smaller table, banking, kicking, jumping, etc... plus there's a different kind of mind-set for playing a rotation game than a game such as 14.1 or snooker

That's true, moving from a 9ft GC down to a BB is hard for me to adjust

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member

The problem with adjusting to 8 ball and 9 ball is due to the break, position play and safety play. The ability to string racks together is reliant entirely on the ability consistently make balls on the break, control the one ball and squat the cue ball in the centre of the table. If you can't do that, then your relying on luck (I rely on luck:eek:).

In snooker the positional shots you need to be comfortable with are stun and snip draw shots. A lot of it is relying on speed control, but since there are usually a bunch of reds to choose from you tend to play position on two or three reds at a time.

If you try to rely on speed control in a game of 9 ball you need to be playing well. It's not until snooker players learn to take two and three rails in to the path of the ball that they find consistency. There are a lot of simple shots that when learnt increase your room for error.

Safety is another important factor. Top players don't just hook you, they lock you up tight. This kind of stuff requires a lot of experience to learn, many snooker players don't have that right out of the gate.

Guys like Daryl Peach and Tony Drago who came from snooker and have had success played for a long time before they got to where they are.