Idea for better analyzing a cue's value and other uses, too.

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wear

I don't believe that a cue's shaft "breaks down" with use. If anything - use would compact the fibers and season it. Just like a new tip firms up after it is used for a while.

Mrdodd72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an idea that cue makers might use. I've done a small prototype of it, but didn't get deep into making it perfect.

I'd like to have a way to count the number of times my cue has stuck the cueball. So, I put a pedometer on the butt of my cue and it does work sort of to keep track.

Why not a hit counter inside the butt? This would be valuable for several reasons:

It would tell a buyer how much use a cue has had (if that matters, I think it would)
It could be used for practicing by telling the player when he has reached a number goal for shots. For example reaching the HAMB threshold.
Instructors could know if their students are really practicing.
It could be improved to measure the force of each hit and be able to chart that to a computer for analysis.
I'm sure there are more uses, but those are just a few.

Any comments or ideas or cuemakers who already do this?

Jeff Livingston

I like your thinking outside the box, our sport needs more of that...but I'm not sure if this could help determine the value of a cue. There are too many other factors in that equation.

On another note. Wow! 42k + posts, now that is impressive! That's averaging 9+ Posts a day, everyday, for 13 years! Your keyboard should have the pedometer; HAMKS(Key Strokes). I salute your passion sir!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Here's a gadget I was a test pilot on in the 80s....
...it was supposed to be an aiming aid...
...it wasn't all that useful.

but I always thought my basic piston stroke was very level....
...it showed that it wasn't...that pinlight went up and down more than I liked.

image.jpeg

My stroke should be piston.....:cool:

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a gadget I was a test pilot on in the 80s....
...it was supposed to be an aiming aid...
...it wasn't all that useful.

but I always thought my basic piston stroke was very level....
...it showed that it wasn't...that pinlight went up and down more than I liked.

View attachment 433825

My stroke should be piston.....:cool:
I saw those and always wondered how well they worked with a bunch of chalk jammed in the hole in front of the laser (or maybe you weren't supposed to use chalk?)

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I saw those and always wondered how well they worked with a bunch of chalk jammed in the hole in front of the laser (or maybe you weren't supposed to use chalk?)

You don't need chalk in the middle of the tip.....
...I don't chalk my break cue unless I'm cut-breaking.

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't need chalk in the middle of the tip.....
...I don't chalk my break cue unless I'm cut-breaking.
Ahhh right on I thought the laser might penetrate the chalk.

Pretty sure the cue ball would end up behind the bar if I didn't chalk before breaking lol

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
Ideally an accelerometer would be perfect. A fancy one could tell you about stroke angle and speed as well...

there are plenty of nice accelerometers lying around in outdated Nintendo Wii controllers all you'd need is a little software and electronics experience to make it all work

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doubtful that any decent instructor could ever have taught you anything Dick...because you already knew everything (and obviously still do). A closed mind withers...yours must be about the size of a dried currant. You're a dinosaur with outdated ideas, and a shitty attitude about almost everything. :mad:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Its a good thing I never had a genuine 'Professional Billiard Instructor' to monitor my practicing!
I doubt I have actually 'practiced' for over 2 hours, combined, in my entire life!..Staying in action is how you improve..Practicing is for 'newbies', or people who don't know how to play! :rolleyes:

PS..Look at all that wasted time, that could better be spent drinking, partying, and chasing women! :p

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doubtful that any decent instructor could ever have taught you anything Dick...because you already knew everything (and obviously still do). A closed mind withers...yours must be about the size of a dried currant. You're a dinosaur with outdated ideas, and a shitty attitude about almost everything. :mad:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Can't argue about the dinosaur crack, but I do know one thing for sure!..Most, (if not all) "Professional Instructors" are severely frustrated pool fanatics who realized early on, they could never make it as a "Professional Player":rolleyes: (or even a decent trick shot artist)

PS..I will never come close to the number of boastful, 'negative posts' you and your hero, come up with!
..How do you guys have time for anything else?..Over 26,000 'free ads' between the two of you! :eek:

..Talk about 'shi**y attitudes'!..Heres a couple for you now! >>>

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=5653230&postcount=38
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=5657266&postcount=57

Last edited: