If you could only play on bar box's in bars would you hang up your cue?

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would only play if a dedicated sports bar with excellent tables and fit and healthy people. Also, at least 8 foot tables.

I play in 3 leagues. The two in non alcoholic settings are by far more interesting people and conversation. The one that serves alcohol is a sports bar and half the players don’t drink... many are our hiking and dancing friends.

The most fun is at our community centre. Squeaky clean tables , natural light and no distracting music or TVs. It’s as much about the friends as playing the game. ...some top notch players.

That brings up another point. There is a bar in town that blasts the music so loud you have to shout just to talk to the person next to you. I hate it. I dont know how many times I could play in that place.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That brings up another point. There is a bar in town that blasts the music so loud you have to shout just to talk to the person next to you. I hate it. I dont know how many times I could play in that place.
My recommendation for you is to take a month off and don’t even think about pool.

Then quit.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My recommendation for you is to take a month off and don’t even think about pool.

Then quit.
I think things will turn around once I get back to playing pool. Maybe I will like leagues in october. Hopefully I can do this stuff this year.

whiteoak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a perfect world there would be room in my basement for a 9 ft table(instead of my 7 ft) and there would be a bunch of rooms with full size tables near. Of course the world is far from perfect, It's about 2 hours to Memphis or Nashville where the big tables are. On a positive not this area(especially Mississippi) is hosting several massive bar box tournaments(not bars but pool rooms) that draw pro players and very strong local and regional player with incredible payouts so there is an incentive for me to practice and go two and out:):) then watch some great matches.

whiteoak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont like the bar scene of most small bars I have been in. I would still play bar table pool at a game room atmosphere or a pool room atmosphere. There is a difference in the atmosphere between a pool room that has a bar and a bar that has pool tables.
🤙

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I only play on pool tables. I don't do anything else on them. Not even sex.

Jeff Livingston

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right now I only have access to a handful of bar tables. They are light years better than none tables. Drunks OTOH...

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
If you saw the bars in my little town you'd understand why I stay out of them. "Dives" are upscale by comparison. You get hit by the smell of urine & barf when you open the door. Pay no attention to the blood stains on the torn cloth of the ancient Valley tables.

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not a pool player but if I could only play carom billiards on a 6 or 7 foot table, I still would. I'd probably use it as an opportunity to focus on other variations of the game.

The only places I can shoot firearms are short distance but I still do, and focus on other elements of shooting.

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only play on pool tables. I don't do anything else on them. Not even sex.

Jeff Livingston

Dude every time I see your screen name all I can think of is the Nick Kroll character 'Ref Jeff':

Not sure your brand of comedy, but I think it's great.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Dude every time I see your screen name all I can think of is the Nick Kroll character 'Ref Jeff':

Not sure your brand of comedy, but I think it's great.

My brand? A little dry mixed with a little something.

Thanks for the video. Not sure it's my cup of tea but I get it.

Jeff Livingston

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
So I am curious if you could only play on coin op bar box's in bars and there were no more 9 footers would you hang up your cue? Or would you continue playing? Why or Why not?

Thanks

I thought someone else had asked this but I searched and could not find that thread. If someone else can find that thread please link it here.
Sure I'd play. Why wouldn't you? 7' might not be a 9', but it's a hell of a lot of fun. Lots of clusters and more opportunity for strategy based on congestion. The better player will still still win, but the smarter player of similar skill levels will win.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sure I'd play. Why wouldn't you? 7' might not be a 9', but it's a hell of a lot of fun. Lots of clusters and more opportunity for strategy based on congestion. The better player will still still win, but the smarter player of similar skill levels will win.

One reason there was so much bar table action was they were great to be able to hide your speed while being most amazingly lucky! I did have a few people quit playing me, "I am a better player but I just can't outrun your luck!" Most came back over and over. UJ Puckett's interview on Sixty Minutes was great. It sounded like he had intended to apologize to all of the people he had robbed on a pool table but in the end he just couldn't bring himself to do it! He had robbed them but he knew if he had it all to do all over again, he would!

HU

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
One reason there was so much bar table action was they were great to be able to hide your speed while being most amazingly lucky! I did have a few people quit playing me, "I am a better player but I just can't outrun your luck!" Most came back over and over. UJ Puckett's interview on Sixty Minutes was great. It sounded like he had intended to apologize to all of the people he had robbed on a pool table but in the end he just couldn't bring himself to do it! He had robbed them but he knew if he had it all to do all over again, he would!

HU
Yep, it's amazing how unlucky I get while playing on a bar table. That ball just misses the pocket by an inch or two... oh dang, sorry about that leave man, but look at the great shot I had on my next ball! ;)

It can be quite fun hiding your speed, even if you don't have much speed to begin with. With the congestion, you can easily take your time lining your balls up after your opponent shot down to his last 2 balls in 8 ball. Even better if you're playing BIH and make them try some trick shots to even contact their ball. I'm not terribly good or anything, but I think it's fun when people start blaming luck/good rolls/bad rolls for what happened on the table.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not a pool player but if I could only play carom billiards on a 6 or 7 foot table, I still would. I'd probably use it as an opportunity to focus on other variations of the game.

The only places I can shoot firearms are short distance but I still do, and focus on other elements of shooting.

Two hundred yards from my back yard fence to the woods until you find a place to put in a longer range in the woods.

Speaking of variations, a friend was shooting thousand yard matches between the wars for Uncle Sam. The afternoon before a match Larry was spotting for and coaching a teammate. A shooter from another team passed by, "Can't get them in the five?" "We have been in the five, trying to keep them in the V" Nothing like putting a little heat on the other team but it was also true!

Hu

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two hundred yards from my back yard fence to the woods until you find a place to put in a longer range in the woods.

Speaking of variations, a friend was shooting thousand yard matches between the wars for Uncle Sam. The afternoon before a match Larry was spotting for and coaching a teammate. A shooter from another team passed by, "Can't get them in the five?" "We have been in the five, trying to keep them in the V" Nothing like putting a little heat on the other team but it was also true!

Hu
You tempt me twice and I'll come out there and shoot with you !

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
7 x 4 , not 7 x 3.5?

I thought pool tables were designed to be twice as long as wide.
A pool table 7’ x 4’ would alter the Diamond system for kick shots.
That would be akin to playing on a 9’ x 5’ table which seems screwy.
They are often called "7 × 4s" but the playing area is just like any other billiard table - the length is double the width. English pool tables come in 3 sizes - 6, 7 and 8ft. 8ft tables are sometimes used in the televised stages of pool competitions but 7ft is the standard. I think of the 8fts as the equivalent of a "bigfoot". A 7ft English table is tougher than a 7ft American table and is imho the equivalent of a 9ft American. For English pool I consider 6ft to be a "bar box" and the smallest acceptable size.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Easy peasy, just shut the heck up. :) Then everybody's happy.