If you hate stupid questions don't read this

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I notice that right handed snooker players all have the same stance, they keep their right leg straight and bend their left leg. They also all have their chin either on the cue or just above it. Why not the other way around, bend the right leg and keep the left leg stiff? I find that I can get lower doing it that way.
 
alstl said:
I notice that right handed snooker players all have the same stance, they keep their right leg straight and bend their left leg. They also all have their chin either on the cue or just above it. Why not the other way around, bend the right leg and keep the left leg stiff? I find that I can get lower doing it that way.
With a title like that it is almost impossible not to read. :) FWIW I don't think it is a stupid question I just don't have the answer.

BVal
 
alstl said:
I notice that right handed snooker players all have the same stance, they keep their right leg straight and bend their left leg. They also all have their chin either on the cue or just above it. Why not the other way around, bend the right leg and keep the left leg stiff? I find that I can get lower doing it that way.

I think the issue here is stability. Take a moment and make a pool-like stance on your desk/table what have you. Now I'm assuming the stance is textbook, which means your back foot is about a 90 degree angle with your cue position, and your lead foot is pointing towards the table.

Lock your back leg and bend your lead leg. Notice that the bend of your knee is pointing in the direction of your weight shift, which is forward. It's not incredibly easy to get a lot of side-to-side movement with your hips. Now if you need to get lower, you'd just take a small step backwards, reposition and bend your lead knee a bit more. Either that or bend further down to the table, but you might end up being a bit closer to your bridge hand than you'd be comfortable with.

Now do the opposite, locking your lead leg and bending your back leg. When I do this, the first thing I notice are my hips. I can move my hips a lot more in this position. This stance feels like I can fall in on myself, like my stroking shoulder wants to turn to the ground. It feels a lot less balanced.

If you want to think of your body as a tripod when you shoot, you've got your three "legs" : your two legs and your bridge hand. The two "legs" that give you the most stability with the least strain (they're the furthest away from your center of gravity) are your back leg and your bridge arm. Your lead leg in this situation just serves to make sure you don't fall side to side. With the other stance, your back leg has a degree of freedom that would allow your center of gravity to fall with your knee bending.

I just thought about it another way while writing this, too. Make your stance, but keep your lead foot just a few inches off (above) the ground with your back leg locked. You could virtually shoot this way without much correction. Now if you try to stay steady while bending your back leg, you have to put much more effort into keeping your whole stance straight.

I'm sure someone could explain this a bit better than my drivel. Maybe Pat Johnson should ring in here?

/rant

EDIT: You know, I always thought that snooker players had a very wide, almost spread-eagle stance in which both of their legs are locked and they're bending at the waist more. I think their stance resembles an actual tripod a lot more than a pool player's stance.

Oh, and I saw my stance in an old book by Nick Varner, so I must be doing it right. :p
 
As stated above... snooker players are very still on the shots and require 3 contact points like pool, however, snooker players tend to rest their forearm on the table along with their side. Bending the front leg twists the body toward the table allowing them to lie on table. This movement also gives room for the back hand to stroke straight and use the left tit as a guide. So, they have 3-4 points of contact for balance and 3-4 points of contact cueing (grip, bridge, chin and chest).

Pool players tend to hold their bridge arm in the air, only the hand touches. They stand straighter than snooker putting more weight on their legs causing all the different stances that you see in pool.

Thats my take...
 
Thanks for the replies. I normally do it backwards, bending my right leg and keeping the left leg straight but I messed up my lower back a while back and had to change to the snooker stance. I'm finally back to where I can do it backwards again and that works better for me. I don't have a scientific explanation except it just works better.

Of course, I'm still just a banger either way.
 
Back
Top