I'm not good enough for this cue!

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ruthless said:
A 5/16 x 18 Pred shaft fits those $5 Budweiser cues very well :)

Yes but how well does the Predator shaft work as a bottle-opener? I mean, has anyone considered that perhaps the Predator 314 might not be good for this?

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
That brings up an interesting point! Should losing players who happen to be great pool enthusiasts carry custom-made racks? I mean, where is their time spent? Which are they going to handle more?

Whenever I got some smart a** sharking me while I'm playing him and I happen to lose one game, I would go down and start racking the balls, stop, and look up and say, "You mind coming down here and show me how to do this again since I don't got down here very often?"

One year for Christmas presents for my good pool playing friends, I got nice wooden racks with their names engraved on brass plaques. Everyone got a big laugh out of that.

MattRDavis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bah! This is all irrelevant. Just move out here to the boondocks with me and nobody will ever pay attention to your cue.

99% of the places you go here, including pool halls, if you were to pull the finest Tascarella, Hercek, etc. out of your case this is the response you would be met with:

"Nice cue, bro. I have one just like that at home, 'cept its fiberglass." The offender would then release a sly smile in the comfort of having cornered you with his totally awesome oneupsmanship.

-Matt

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stones said:
"You mind coming down here and show me how to do this again since I don't got down here very often?"

I had to read this twice. I'm very glad this was about pool. This is a family forum, you know.

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
I had to read this twice. I'm very glad this was about pool. This is a family forum, you know.
LOL. Now that I reread it with my mind in the gutter. LOL

suckershot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cueandcushion said:
I am in the bottom 10% of players on this board I bet.

Me too! Heck, the bottom 10% might even be pushing it.

Getting back on topic, I don't understand that perception, that if you have a nice cue, you should play good. Having a nice cue because you appreciate nice looking cues, or because you like nice things in general, is enough reason for me.

If skill was the determinant, I would be playing with Cuetec. But I'll stick to my Rick Howard, thanks. ;)

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I learned a long time ago two very valuable lessons about pool;

You don't have to be a good pool player to collect cues;

You don't have to be a good pool player to gamble money on pool games.

DawgAndy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never lived up to my cues ability:D The great thing is you can still appreciate their potential. A friend of mine commented once after I said I couldn't justify having a $1k cue, 'Hell you don't have to fill out an application, just pull out the cash'. Now I have less cues but each one makes me smile for one reason or another.

MattRDavis, I know where you 're coming from Bro, If it ain't a Meucci it ain't sh#t in these parts.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone

Andy
Gonna go stare at my cues for awhile, heck might even play some too

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DawgAndy said:
I've never lived up to my cues ability:D The great thing is you can still appreciate their potential. A friend of mine commented once after I said I couldn't justify having a $1k cue, 'Hell you don't have to fill out an application, just pull out the cash'. Now I have less cues but each one makes me smile for one reason or another.

MattRDavis, I know where you 're coming from Bro, If it ain't a Meucci it ain't sh#t in these parts.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone

Andy
Gonna go stare at my cues for awhile, heck might even play some too

Can I have your cue then?

Ok ok, seriously! It's sports equipment. Personally, I don't think some professionals should be walking around with $5k cues. Do you want to know who deserves to have such merchandise? Those that can afford it. I use a simple P2. Why, you ask? Because I feel no need to get the custom-made Southwest with granite points, birdseye maple sleeve, obsidian inlays, ivory ferrel and ebony butt-cap just yet. When I win the WSOP, I'll give them a call.

StormHotRod300

BigSexy
Silver Member
Back in Feb of 2000, I got the pool bug, after seeing a exhibition done by Ewa Laurance. And by the end of the week i had bought me a nice Schon LTD that cost me 700$, retail was 1000$.

Yet i could hardly make 2 balls in a row. But I had a 1000$ cue lol.

And I remember i would walk into a pool hall thinking i was big and bad, cuz i had a 1000$ cue. Boy did i find out i was wrong wrong wrong.

And even when i started to get better and was able to beat most players, and i would see new players come in and play, and would notice they had a ncie custom cue, i would give the sly remark, WTF are they doing with a nice azz custom cue when they cant run 4 balls if thier life depended on it?

Now i just dont care! I figure i'll just beat them and they can stand thier with thier nice cue looking all pretty, while i take thier money! lol

trueblu8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hilarious...

MattRDavis said:
Bah! This is all irrelevant. Just move out here to the boondocks with me and nobody will ever pay attention to your cue.

99% of the places you go here, including pool halls, if you were to pull the finest Tascarella, Hercek, etc. out of your case this is the response you would be met with:

"Nice cue, bro. I have one just like that at home, 'cept its fiberglass." The offender would then release a sly smile in the comfort of having cornered you with his totally awesome oneupsmanship.

-Matt
Dude, that's hilarious, lol! I especially liked your choice of vocabulary: "the offender", and "sly smile". I swear you could pursue a career as a professional writer!

Last edited:

Matt90

Trust the Process
Silver Member
Nice cue vs skill to use it

Ok heres the story , I started playing agian last year probably around the 1st of summer . I quit playing when I was 20 and I am 36 now (another long story) After playing a few weeks I went and bought a vicking which I liked alot . Then one night I met a guy at the pool room who told me about Chris Hightower and Hightower cues . I checked out his website and there was one cue on there that I really liked . As fate would have it I run a big screen tv shop and was given a 60"HDTV the following weekend . I sold it to a friend for the same price as the cue and went way out in parts of Georgia this Carolina boy had never been and bought that cue from Chris . I bought the cue cause
I wanted it .If it had anything to do with my game I may have just stuck with the vicking and wore the shaft out .I play alot better than I did a year ago and I hope one day my game will live up to my equipment . :D I also have
a Meucci original sneaky pete I got from ebay .The Meucci hits real good and
if I do not want people eyeballing my cue I play with it . What can I say I am addicted to this game ,the cues, the stories......etc.. So I will keep at it
but it does kinda feel funny getting beat by a guy with a house cue LOL

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
To argue the flipside...should one not buy a Porsche unless he can drive like Hurley Haywood? The market for custom cue makers would be awfully slim if only top pros bought them.

DawgAndy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jude
I don't think you'd like my cues. Saving up the money to buy them is part of the fun for me.

Andy

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pwd72s said:
To argue the flip side...should one not buy a Porsche unless he can drive like Hurley Haywood? The market for custom cue makers would be awfully slim if only top pros bought them.

YES, but on the flipidity flip side, ...who would name their kid "Hurley Haywood"?...j/k

I had an experience like these early on. I bought a Black Boar before I could even rack correctly!....what the hell, they were selling them at 1/2 price:eek: yea I know, I should have bought em all, but hey, I've always been an idiot! SO, I'm practicing with my new $1400/$700 beauty and one of the best players in the northeast walks up asking me to play some. I said sure, and proceeded to miss a few balls while He ran about 87348764 racks on me. Then mid stroke He pulls up and said....you can play now, and quit all that stalling!...I was like ....HUH? whaddaya mean? He said anyone with a cue like that HAS to be able to play!:D

After I stopped laughing, and explained that I really do suck! He showed me a few things....I think He just wanted to keep hitting balls with my killer Boar;)

Funny thing was He didn't ask to play for cash in the beginning because of the cue, and figured I was a road agent. Again I laughed, and told him I was gonna pay $1000 for the cue, but only had to pay $700, so He could have won a few hundred!.....I love that blank stare you get from people when they wanna just slap themselves on the forehead!

Gerry

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Funny story Gerry. I get some of that when I would play with the Palmer a friend talked me into buying many years ago...a Model M, 2nd catalog. You see, he was really into pool, and could get a great deal if he bought two...$125 with 2 shafts & case. So really, I bought it as a favor to him.
I still have the cue, though I seldom play with it. The unwanted attention thing, plus...to be honest...my entry level plain jane jacoby has a much sweeter hit. The old Plamer, a revered collectable, may have been nice in it's day, but it hits like playing with a length of rebar.

Wh would name their kid Hurley? I guess the parents of the guy who has won Lemans several times, and the 24 hours of Daytona more times than anybody. In the world of endurance sports car racing, Hurley is the driver equivalent to say, Reyes, Strickland, etc.