Impressive Looking Tournament Management Software

pooladdict

no doubt about it
Silver Member
Been sent this video and I have to say at first glance it looks pretty decent.

Has anyone on here come across it before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLmXZ8ctZ_I

Its developed by a Norwegian company, and is available also in English

Fantastic stuff, both for round robin and double elimination / single elimination tournaments. Draw and table assignment is done in seconds.

Anyone can follow any tournament via internet - you dont need any particulat software. Cuescore.com - check it out

pooladdict

no doubt about it
Silver Member
Do you have links to anyone using it?

The Norwegian billiard federation use it for all ranking tournaments - and also most of the billiard clubs in Norway now use it for their weekly tournaments.

If you go to cuescore.com, and click on the US flag to get the english version, it should be pretty self-explanatory. Check out Tournaments, ranking and so on.

You can contact the developers directly - from cuescore.com
"For now the site is free and accessible for anyone to use as they please. In March 2016 we will introduce a payment model for countries/federations we don't yet have an agreement with. By then we will also have significantly more functionality in place, and we will keep you informed about them as they get ready.

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have questions or suggestions for improving the service. You can reach us at support@cuescore.com, or send us a message on the CueScore facebook page."

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you have to have it on their server?

What if they go bust or you fall out or whatever?

That puts me off hosted solutions immediately.

pooladdict

no doubt about it
Silver Member
So you have to have it on their server?

What if they go bust or you fall out or whatever?

That puts me off hosted solutions immediately.

I am not affiliated with them, so you should direct these types of concerns to them directly

I sent a message on FB to the guy responsible for the system - encouraging him to post here in the forum

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is really good but like all hosted solutions I would be concerned over escrow in the event of issues.

I know blackball use the cuesportfever solution but are uncomfortable using a third party for this reason

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use excel. Have been for over 20 years. Delivers lots:

1. usable off line - important if dodgy connections
2. familiar to users
3. very flexible

Not reliant on someone elses hosting.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

2. familiar to users
3. very flexible

This seems much nicer than using Excell which is a very extensive 'general purpose' software.

This one is targeted specifically at pool tournaments.
World of difference.

I used to be the tournament director for years in many local chess tournaments and used Excell.
Finally got an actual chess tournament software and it made everything sooooooo much easier.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Same here, I use Google drive's version of excel, and send it out a read only link. Works on any web browser enabled phone, tablet, or computer.

2. familiar to users
3. very flexible

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This seems much nicer than using Excell which is a very extensive 'general purpose' software.

This one is targeted specifically at pool tournaments.
World of difference.

I used to be the tournament director for years in many local chess tournaments and used Excell.
Finally got an actual chess tournament software and it made everything sooooooo much easier.

depends on how advanced you are at excel I suppose.

I use excel for the front end, great for the top table. easy and familiar and very flexible in the layout. I then push the data out (using vb) into XML, that I then upload to the web server using more VB (again automatically).

I use simple web pages, again posting to XML for the individual tables and they are also sent to the server using some VB.

I don't like or trust the internet connections in the hotels I use so would resist strongly anything web based for that reason alone.

With the excel based system if the internet goes down (or in the case of one of the hotels, kicks you off after 20 minutes) then the tournament carries on regardless.

XML can be formatted in a manner that easy to read using web side apps/pages.

Mind you, I'm an IT consultant so it's easier for me to develop my own than use others.

pooladdict

no doubt about it
Silver Member
Message from the developer

The guys responsible for Cuescore have tried to make a post, but are not yet approved by the administrator.

So in the meantime, I have been asked to post this on their behalf:

Hi,

I represent the Norwegian company that has developed CueScore, the Tournament Management Software.
First of all, thank you for your interest in Cuescore.

I will start off with some general information and will answer all questions as best I can. :)

CueScore is developed by a 10 year old software company, where several of the employees are active players and tournament managers.
As tournament managers we are used to the whole range of "tournament systems", from paper to excel and google docs, but all of these systems have their limitations (pros/cons).

Typical for the billiards in Norway is that managing a tournament is based on volunteers that recive no payment whatsoever for their efforts.
With lots of experience running tournaments, we saw that a spesialized software would be very helpful and free up a lot of time for the tournament managers.

CueScore is based on the idea to simplify, promote and develop cue sports in general.
After several years thinking about how a system like this could be built technically and visually, the year 2015 was the time when we could finally realize our ideas.
A cooperation with The Norwegian Billiards Federation was essential for us and made it possible to have a long perspective and to develop a system with the global need in mind.

The latter has made us focus on a system that is very flexible when it comes to customization.

Apart from managing club tournamment there is also a federation level in the system. A federation can register all sanctioned tournaments and give manager access to the local clubs that arranges the actual tournament. When the tournament is finished, the result list and ranking lists are immediately updated. All tournaments can be followed live and match results are updated live without the need of refreshing the browser window.

We focus on simplicity for tournament leaders, players and a general audience. Through the system players can enter tournaments and pay the entry fee online (customization), they will be notified when their next tournament and match is and they can keep track of the schedule through mobile phones. Tournament leaders can seed, draw, choose different playing formats (round-robin, single elimination or double elimination charts in various sizes), start/stop matches and communicate with both players and audience through the same page.
For the general audience CueScore makes it easy to follow live results from home or wherever you are. By making brackets and tournament progress easy to understand/read we believe there is a huge potential for increasing the public interest for billiard events.

Our idea is that players register once and then they can use this profile to enter both local, national and international tournaments and participate across borders as long as CueScore is the system used. All results will be archived as history for the player.

The first release of CueScore has now been in use by the Norwegian Billiard federation for 4 months, with great success. The system is also used by some clubs in Greece for test purpose, but everone is free to sign up and test it by themselves.
Now we are entering a period where we are doing some simplification, improvements and adding more functionality.

The upcoming weekend we will be visiting the IPA World Championship in Bradford, England. If anyone reading this is attending, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

We have great plans for CueScore, and I hope you all will register, test it and give us feedback for future improvements.

Please also "Like" our facebook page (facebook.com/cuescore/) to be informed of updates.

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guys responsible for Cuescore have tried to make a post, but are not yet approved by the administrator.

So in the meantime, I have been asked to post this on their behalf:

Hi,

I represent the Norwegian company that has developed CueScore, the Tournament Management Software.
First of all, thank you for your interest in Cuescore.

I will start off with some general information and will answer all questions as best I can. :)

CueScore is developed by a 10 year old software company, where several of the employees are active players and tournament managers.
As tournament managers we are used to the whole range of "tournament systems", from paper to excel and google docs, but all of these systems have their limitations (pros/cons).

Typical for the billiards in Norway is that managing a tournament is based on volunteers that recive no payment whatsoever for their efforts.
With lots of experience running tournaments, we saw that a spesialized software would be very helpful and free up a lot of time for the tournament managers.

CueScore is based on the idea to simplify, promote and develop cue sports in general.
After several years thinking about how a system like this could be built technically and visually, the year 2015 was the time when we could finally realize our ideas.
A cooperation with The Norwegian Billiards Federation was essential for us and made it possible to have a long perspective and to develop a system with the global need in mind.

The latter has made us focus on a system that is very flexible when it comes to customization.

Apart from managing club tournamment there is also a federation level in the system. A federation can register all sanctioned tournaments and give manager access to the local clubs that arranges the actual tournament. When the tournament is finished, the result list and ranking lists are immediately updated. All tournaments can be followed live and match results are updated live without the need of refreshing the browser window.

We focus on simplicity for tournament leaders, players and a general audience. Through the system players can enter tournaments and pay the entry fee online (customization), they will be notified when their next tournament and match is and they can keep track of the schedule through mobile phones. Tournament leaders can seed, draw, choose different playing formats (round-robin, single elimination or double elimination charts in various sizes), start/stop matches and communicate with both players and audience through the same page.
For the general audience CueScore makes it easy to follow live results from home or wherever you are. By making brackets and tournament progress easy to understand/read we believe there is a huge potential for increasing the public interest for billiard events.

Our idea is that players register once and then they can use this profile to enter both local, national and international tournaments and participate across borders as long as CueScore is the system used. All results will be archived as history for the player.

The first release of CueScore has now been in use by the Norwegian Billiard federation for 4 months, with great success. The system is also used by some clubs in Greece for test purpose, but everone is free to sign up and test it by themselves.
Now we are entering a period where we are doing some simplification, improvements and adding more functionality.

The upcoming weekend we will be visiting the IPA World Championship in Bradford, England. If anyone reading this is attending, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

We have great plans for CueScore, and I hope you all will register, test it and give us feedback for future improvements.

Please also "Like" our facebook page (facebook.com/cuescore/) to be informed of updates.

It looks really good and I have tagged my pals in the governing bodies so they are aware.

jgpool

Cue ball draw with this?
Silver Member
Cuescore

I just tried to register on this site, I received an email that I need to respond to so my registration is completed. I responded to the email and got an "error message" saying something went wrong try again later. :confused: