Improved ball marker

heater451

Registered
Here is how it looks in use, from the side and from above.

View attachment 748341

View attachment 748340

It doesn't stick out much.
I would maybe add drill across the back corner sides, so if anyone desired to, they could loop a small cord through it for extraction. From the pics, it looks easy enough to remove without a string though. The Cube tip shapers have a hole like this, although they attach a small chain and keyring loop.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1062/7500/products/cue_cube_keychain_large.jpg?v=1491246124

I would buy (at least) one too, although it would likely get more use as a pocket marker (APA 8-ball), than for the intended purpose. I would pay more for the brass too, assuming a price difference.

DrDan

Here is a ball marker @iusedtoberich and I designed and he had made in China in brass and aluminum.

The ball contacts the marker on the flat, sloped surface on each leg. This allows it to work for various sizes of balls. (Markers with semi-circular shapes have a problem with this.)

If you nest two of them, the hole of the inner one is the position of the base of a ball that was sitting against the outer one. This allows you to place a ball exactly on a spot or to mark a spot where the ball was sitting.

The legs are the length of the radius of a ball. This allows you to see if a ball will spot or if its edge is over a line. This also means the marker is fairly small.

I really like the brass version. The aluminum is a little light to stay put.

This is overkill for most people but referees need to do those things sometimes. Usually a piece of chalk is OK.

View attachment 747897
Hi .

Where can I get one of these ball markers in brass...???

Best, Daniel.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Due to the interest, here's my offer: $25 each for the brass pool markers, which is what I paid. $10 for priority shipping for any number items.

Also available:
aluminum marker, $10
sets of the simpler design, brass L and aluminum square, for pool, snooker and carom, $30
PM sent

MamboFats

Just ran across this thread.
I designed and 3D-printed my own ball marker a couple of years ago

Ball marker.jpg

Total width = 1 ball = 2¼ inch
Height = just over ½ ball = 1½ inch
As a marker it works with any size ball, but with that centerpoint sticking out, you can check if a poolball can be spotted.
I donated a couple of these to poolfriends.
I've been thinking of making one with the width of a snooker ball (I have a lot of snooker friends)

I did not put a Copyricht or patent on this design... :cool:

Love to hear your feedback, y'all

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
if you are checking to see if a ball can be fitted in to be spotted then you cant have a marker bigger than the ball.
that is exactly why the piece of chalk works for replacing balls.

the only possible better invention would be a suction cup with a release button and being able then to put a ball in position from above.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
.... the only possible better invention would be a suction cup with a release button and being able then to put a ball in position from above.
I've seen spotting situations on a snooker table where the ref really needed something like that. They ended up marking one or two close balls and removing them, then spotted the ball, then put the marked balls back.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
that would be something to see. imagine in the pool world where the opponent had to watch that and maybe go nuts.