Improving Tempo is Vital in Golf, Tennis and Pocket Billiards - What is the Secret?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is a transition time with every player, it's just a matter of how abbreviated it is. We call this "The Gathering of the Shot"....and players like Buddy Hall do it beautifully - this is one of the reasons he was known to have the best cue ball control in history.

It requires energy to take the cue back and it takes more energy to redirect the cue. Mentally (usually sub consciously) there's a calculation that must take place to equate the forward movement of the cue with the speed and length of the shot.

I like to practice exaggerating this technique so that there's a distinct forward motion of the cue......after all, we never hit the cue ball with our back-swing, it's just used to coil the cue back before the moment of release - or they say "the moment of highest tension".

There is one school of thought that the follow through doesn't matter because the cue ball is already gone. This may be true in one respect, especially if you just look at the stroke mechanically. However, from my experience it's vital to control the after contact movement of the cue ball WITH the length of the follow through.
This is what gives the player that high degree of touch and feel for the game that's essential for top notch performance under pressure......when you are in that "do or die" situation.

When I want the "after contact" movement of the cue ball to be exaggerated I exaggerate the follow through, when I want the "after contact" movement to be compat, then I compact my follow through.....even if I want the cue ball to jump slightly I'll use a "staccato type" follow through that creates that movement.

If I didn't have a very good understanding of how the cue moves FORWARD from the top of the back-swing I would not be able to play at the champion's level of performance. Whether a player is aware of it or not the follow through must connect to the "after contact" reaction of the cue ball....or you'll always be playing a "guessing game," and it really shows up under the pressure of a high dollar match or tournament.

The cue ball's reaction, at the highest level is a reflection of what the cue is doing......the more you can calibrate the cue's motion to coincide with the cue ball's "after contact" reaction the better off you will be.......this is one of the essential "differences that make a difference" in winning or just coming close.

The Game is the Teacher

www.masteringpocketbilliards.com

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I agree. Do you have any good practice routines to practice the follow through?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree. Do you have any good practice routines to practice the follow through?
Yes, I use a resistance cord (like a large rubber band) and a routine that I pull the band back and let it snap directly back to where my hand is when cueing the cueball.

I stumbled on this back when I was 21 and had a friend from Canada that was a top notch hustler. For 3 weeks I went into different pool rooms and would actually gamble with people using the rubber band. At first they thought I was crazy for doing it but you could count on them telling me it wasn't legal when I started beating them.....and of course, I would take it off and beat them even easier. lol

I did this for 3 weeks and my stroke got better and better, then I developed a training regiment to help other players get the same results. I still use it in my lessons to this day and it immediately gives the student the feeling of what it's like to POP the stroke like the champions do....much like POPPING a Whip or towel but shooter and not as amplified. Popping the tip is like Popping the whip, it gives the player tremendous speed and makes the cue ball go straight as an arrow, even on off-center hits.

I also use a 8 pound sword for players that want an even more powerful stroke, I have used the one I have for over 30 years.

The Game is the Teacher