In Philippines again - loving it as usual

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
I'm in Philippines again, and like so many times before I got another chance to play Efren.

Last Monday he drove hours from his hometown Angeles to Manila just to play me some cheap one-pocket, and then drove back home. That's how much he loves to play. Amazing. Can you imagine Tiger Woods doing the same for a golffan? :)

We agreed to play later this week, but then in his city, so I went to Angeles. We played in a bar on the mainstreet that had 1 pooltable, no aircon and all windows/doors open. People could sit in two floors watching, and the room got packed with hundreds of locals within minutes when people realised Efren was there.

Dozens of people standing outside hoping to get a look at Efren, and loud applause for whatever he did!

Of course I lost, as always, but what a pleasure it was to play him somewhere else than a poolhall, but in a place with just regular people watching.

If you had been there you would have seen what a hero he is here! Everyone wanted pictures and autographs of him, and he was just smiling and giving everyone what they wanted.

If you ever get a chance to play Efren like this - do it! Memory for life :)

I LOVE the Philippines!!!

The Chinchilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm in Philippines again, and like so many times before I got another chance to play Efren.

Last Monday he drove hours from his hometown Angeles to Manila just to play me some cheap one-pocket, and then drove back home. That's how much he loves to play. Amazing. Can you imagine Tiger Woods doing the same for a golffan? :)

We agreed to play later this week, but then in his city, so I went to Angeles. We played in a bar on the mainstreet that had 1 pooltable, no aircon and all windows/doors open. People could sit in two floors watching, and the room got packed with hundreds of locals within minutes when people realised Efren was there.

Dozens of people standing outside hoping to get a look at Efren, and loud applause for whatever he did!

Of course I lost, as always, but what a pleasure it was to play him somewhere else than a poolhall, but in a place with just regular people watching.

If you had been there you would have seen what a hero he is here! Everyone wanted pictures and autographs of him, and he was just smiling and giving everyone what they wanted.

If you ever get a chance to play Efren like this - do it! Memory for life :)

I LOVE the Philippines!!!

Wow, great story, what an experience. Thanks for sharing.

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
Haven't been playing pool this time apart from the two clashes with Efren. Just vacation this time, didn't even bring my cue. Last time I played was in May in Las Vegas, but how could i turn Efren down? :)

Got some motivation back now, and will try to go back here for a month after New Year just to practise :)

Still been at One Side quite often, and everything stays the same. Moneygames and action all the time.

John Morra is in action every day, and he is doing good. Looks like a champion in the making + he got world class skills when it comes to getting the better end of handicaps.

Manila is without a doubt a mecca for poolplayers

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would love to make it to Manila someday. I would like to take about $5-10k down there and play $50 sets for two months.

Maybe someday

"T"

Son of Da Poet
Silver Member
How cool is that! That will be a great story for the kids back home! Very nice.

Did you ask Efren if he ever met Travis Trotter? :D

fishcake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lucky!how did you contact efren?nice experience:smile:
wish i could play with efren.:smile:

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
I would love to make it to Manila someday. I would like to take about $5-10k down there and play $50 sets for two months.

Maybe someday

Your game would improve - no doubt about that!

How cool is that! That will be a great story for the kids back home! Very nice.

Did you ask Efren if he ever met Travis Trotter? :D

He said that his two idols are chuck norris and travis trotter :)

lucky!how did you contact efren?nice experience:smile:
wish i could play with efren.:smile:

I tried smokesignals, but that didn't work well so went over to text-messages ;)

Efren will most likely play anyone that asks for a match. He can play small races against challengers for hours if he's in the mood. Untill the music got to loud on Thursday, he played everyone that wanted a race to 2 for 500 pesos after our match.

Reactions: "T"