Increasing your level of competition and bringing guests

SoundWaves

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Recently I had made a post regarding loosing the bar my APA team played out of. The truth of this is, that I have been waiting for something like this to happen. Playing out the bars was a lot of fun but was very unproductive a lot of the time. Not to mention a lot of other risks that go hand and hand with bar play. I try to play in as many tournaments that I can fit in, but there is very few in my area. So in an effort to elevate my game, I have moved our team to a pool hall in my area. Somehow I have convinced 5 out of my 8 players to drive farther, have no alcohol or food, play on big tables and increase their level of competition. I am very happy this is working out so far. The level of play should really help my game. As for the rest of the team, I'm not sure. This could work out, or it may cost me all my pool buddies. Time will tell. I think my biggest concern is what really motivated me to excel at this. I think performing for my peers is a big factor. I strive for perfection from myself, but with out some one to show it to, is there a point? Or will this grow into a new group of more serious players replacing the weaker of my peers.

Anyone have advice or want to share a similar experience?
 
I dunno your buddies but I hope at least some of them are in the league because they have been bitten by the pool bug, instead of just doing it as a social thing. You can usually spot the difference by whether or not someone pays for a table to practice by himself.

I think you did the right thing (pretty much the only thing?) and I really hope it's successful. I love to see people gradually get into pool and learn to love it for the game itself.

You are in no danger of being friendless and without teammates I think... for one thing, you can attract more in a pool hall than you can in a bar, and they will probably be the pool-loving type, who are the best types to have on a team imo.
 
CreeDo said:
I dunno your buddies but I hope at least some of them are in the league because they have been bitten by the pool bug, instead of just doing it as a social thing. You can usually spot the difference by whether or not someone pays for a table to practice by himself.

I think you did the right thing (pretty much the only thing?) and I really hope it's successful. I love to see people gradually get into pool and learn to love it for the game itself.

You are in no danger of being friendless and without teammates I think... for one thing, you can attract more in a pool hall than you can in a bar, and they will probably be the pool-loving type, who are the best types to have on a team imo.
I think you are very right. I think I am happy about this move for personal reasons. I am also nervous because the players that didn't come with me were my strongest.
 
Hiya Soundwaves. :cool:

I would think it'll work out fine. Everyone is just trying to have fun, and you're making the best decision you can with the situation the way it is. And you also have to trust that your teammates will make the best decision for themselves. If most of the team came with you that's great! If you guys can deal with some adversity together then you'll probably be playing together for some time (if you haven't been already).

I've always been willing to travel to be part of a bigger/better pool division. Hopefully they'll appreciate the change. :)
 
SoundWaves said:
I think you are very right. I think I am happy about this move for personal reasons. I am also nervous because the players that didn't come with me were my strongest.

Your strongest shooters were bar players who didn't want to drive a little extra to play some 9 footers? I'd expect your new pool hall to have some even stronger players roaming about and learning from them and everyone else in the room you'll forget about those 3 that stayed behind. Until you go back and give them the 8.
 
Koopa said:
Your strongest shooters were bar players who didn't want to drive a little extra to play some 9 footers? I'd expect your new pool hall to have some even stronger players roaming about and learning from them and everyone else in the room you'll forget about those 3 that stayed behind. Until you go back and give them the 8.

Two of the three had scheduling conflicts with playing a different day of the week. I'm sure you are right I can recruit some new blood.
 
Well today was a dry run of our new pool hall experience. First impression.... Damn thats a lot of people. Never played on an in-house league. Makes for a lot of people, has a lot more of a tournament feel to it. I think as a teem we will be fine, just need to find one more player. Hey Puck what are you doing on Thursday nights? ;)
 
my 2 cents

Get set up with a good instructor and tell him that you want to
learn the tools that you'll be able to pass along. It'll do things
for your game that you didn't expect and the guys that are into
the game will be eager to learn what you've learned.

-cOOp
 
SoundWaves said:
Well today was a dry run of our new pool hall experience. First impression.... Damn thats a lot of people. Never played on an in-house league. Makes for a lot of people, has a lot more of a tournament feel to it. I think as a teem we will be fine, just need to find one more player. Hey Puck what are you doing on Thursday nights? ;)
Hehe, I'm still trying to promote an in-house division from the Corner Pocket on Thursdays...but we're stuck on having just three teams that night. :rolleyes:

Our Wednesday in-house division has had at least 10 teams for over two years now. The talent level is going up too, as we have one or two A-players there now. Typically when we get bar table teams coming in, they stick around. In-house does make for an interesting and dynamic environment. You get to see the best shooters on other teams play/practice every week...instead of only once or twice a session. Everybody knows everybody pretty well, so you typically get more rivalries and more interesting competition. Also word gets around real quick so it's tough to have a "secret weapon". Good luck! :cool:
 
Back
Top