Inlay machine recommendations...

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like sharp inlays and would like to learn how to do them. Many of today's available inlay machines appear to do mostly rounded types of inlays. What machines would you recommend from entry level on up? Are good CNC machines becoming more affordable and are any of them cue industry specific? Some portability would be preferred--I don't want a 800lb. industrial pantograph. Thanks in advance guys.

Martin

RSB-Refugee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jazznpool said:
I like sharp inlays and would like to learn how to do them. Many of today's available inlay machines appear to do mostly rounded types of inlays.
ALL inlay machines, do rounded types. If you want them sharp, you have to finish the pocket, by hand.

Tracy

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can play with the stylus and bit size to reduce, and then cut them in sharp with a knife using My manual setup, but the problem with using a smaller endmill is they break easy, and the good ones are expensive when they break like that. I like to setup for a endmill that can take alittle more, and just knife the corners when I want them sharp, but sometimes I just fit them to the exsisting pocket the way it is. If i did them all sharp, and was to sell the cue, then the price would have to reflect the extra work, and cost.

It is also possible to hog the pocket out with larger bit, stylus change, and smaller endmill in a way to get it closer, and save on bit breakage some, but It's all about mixing the stylus and bit (endmill) sizes correctly to do what you want, so takes some experiementing, and several size endmills and stylus to get a system down. Inlaying cues manually can be tricky also, so this is one that can test you alittle, and is better learned hands on IMO. Alot can go wrong, so practicing on scrap is also a good idea here as well.

Some guys have cnc machines cutting them out pretty close with their setups these days. I would think their tool paths, and bit changes may have something to do with that, but someone already using one of those could probably give better info on how they go about it.

Greg

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My Manual Inlay Machine runs $1795 and my small CNC runs $4500 and both can cut sharp parts. But you need to knife in the corners of the pocket. THe small CNC I have is ready to go except for computer and you are pretty much on your on learning to use it. So the Blud or Alignrite might be better as they offer better customer support and are better machines but three or four times the price. Mine is only for inlays whereas there machines will taper also.
Chris
www.cuesmith.com
www.internationalcuemakers.com

blud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cnc

jazznpool said:
I like sharp inlays and would like to learn how to do them. Many of today's available inlay machines appear to do mostly rounded types of inlays. What machines would you recommend from entry level on up? Are good CNC machines becoming more affordable and are any of them cue industry specific? Some portability would be preferred--I don't want a 800lb. industrial pantograph. Thanks in advance guys.

Martin
Hello Martin,
I build machinery that is a bit heavier than Chris's machinery. Mine cost more, but as Chris mentioned, mine can do more.
I have CNC saw/lathes, that start at $3,250.00, also have a 4-headed CNC saw/lathe as Mr. Hightower is purchasing from me.

My CNC mills, [parts and pocket machines] start at, $12,500.00 full blown CNC 4 - axes, and can be fitted with a lathe operation for turn-cutting shafts and or butts.
I build floor models and bench models of this machine.
Please call me for more information, { 830-232-5991 } or e-mail me @

poolcues@hctc.net.
thanks
blud

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Blud, Thanks for the info. Your CNC mill fitted for a lathe operation sounds attractive. I'll give you a holler down the road if I become genuinely interested. In the meantime I'll get busy with my exacto knife, magnifying glass, and band-aids.

Martin

blud said:
Hello Martin,
I build machinery that is a bit heavier than Chris's machinery. Mine cost more, but as Chris mentioned, mine can do more.
I have CNC saw/lathes, that start at $3,250.00, also have a 4-headed CNC saw/lathe as Mr. Hightower is purchasing from me.

My CNC mills, [parts and pocket machines] start at, $12,500.00 full blown CNC 4 - axes, and can be fitted with a lathe operation for turn-cutting shafts and or butts.
I build floor models and bench models of this machine.
Please call me for more information, { 830-232-5991 } or e-mail me @

poolcues@hctc.net.
thanks
blud