Install pin first in but

slim123

How many of you cue makes install the pin first in the butt. i had a cue maker, that has since passed, from florida, tell me years ago that they will always be true to the pin if you do it this way.

PracticeChampion

Makes sense but assuming your equipment runs true it should all be centered however you go about it. I'm definitely new at things but my pins are last to go.

Douglas Custom

Douglas cues
Pin should always be last only reason to put pin first is because you can't get it straight when it matters .If you put it first and you have any movement in the cue then you have a cue that is truly off center .I don't put cue together until forearm is .875 at joint then you have cue that is on center at A joint and everywhere else we won't even talk about keeping points even doing pin first

DeeDeeCues

Pin should always be last only reason to put pin first is because you can't get it straight when it matters .If you put it first and you have any movement in the cue then you have a cue that is truly off center .I don't put cue together until forearm is .875 at joint then you have cue that is on center at A joint and everywhere else we won't even talk about keeping points even doing pin first

Right on.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many of you cue makes install the pin first in the butt. i had a cue maker, that has since passed, from florida, tell me years ago that they will always be true to the pin if you do it this way.
There was/is a few who installed first. I remember the discussions on here.
What ever works for them.
I do it last.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
There was/is a few who installed first. I remember the discussions on here.
What ever works for them.
I do it last.
I remember Judd installing the screws on his 8-point blanks.
Amazingly, he was known to have great 8-pointers.
Did the pencil trick on the tool post in recentering the bottom. Won't work for cored handles these days.

slim123

Yes, i do remember who it was and one of those guys doesn't make or work on cues anymore, just that he is older and gave it up