Installing 1/2 tip on a cue

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many pros have new tips installed and then ask for the tip to be cut down to 1/2 in thickness because it breaks in faster. I think it would be better to cut 1/2 half off of the bottom before installation because the top is already shaped and this would maintain the leather characteristics better. Does anyone have experience with this or have anything to add. Note: this may not apply to layered tips.

StrokeofLuck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many pros have new tips installed and then ask for the tip to be cut down to 1/2 in thickness because it breaks in faster. I think it would be better to cut 1/2 half off of the bottom before installation because the top is already shaped and this would maintain the leather characteristics better. Does anyone have experience with this or have anything to add. Note: this may not apply to layered tips.

I think they are taken down on the lathe after installing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
On a lathe, it's easier to glue a tip on and shave it down vs cutting a tip in the wild. Literally seconds to get 1/2 a tip gone. Shaving/shaping is really a non-issue on a lathe. Perhaps by hand you might cut it first.

-td

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
??! News to me. Why would anyone choose to double their tip replacements? Double the cost/effort/inconvenience. Would seem simpler to merely buy pre-compressed tips (milkduds?), if having to trim the initial mushrooming of a soft tip a few times is really too much bother (?).

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, most single layered tips come domed already - so there is definitely a top and a bottom. Elkmaster. Triangle. Le pro Etc.

Shape, yes but, the actual leather (the material, not the product), does not care if it's upside down or not. You could just as easily trim that dome down to a flat surface and mount the tip using that side.

The point I was trying to make is that, even if you did choose to cut a tip down PRIOR to installing it, you don't have to cut the back side down as there is no "top or bottom". Pick the part that looks the best and use it ;)

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
Your point is true, academically. An inanimate object doesn't know top, bottom, side, whatever. Agreed.

But, in reality - that's not how anyone actually installs tips. They come domed, you sand the flat side, glue and shape. I've installed many tips on a lathe and never once did I cut one in half to have two tops or two bottoms. ha!

-td
Shape, yes but, the actual leather (the material, not the product), does not care if it's upside down or not. You could just as easily trim that dome down to a flat surface and mount the tip using that side.

The point I was trying to make is that, even if you did choose to cut a tip down PRIOR to installing it, you don't have to cut the back side down as there is no "top or bottom". Pick the part that looks the best and use it

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your point is true, academically. An inanimate object doesn't know top, bottom, side, whatever. Agreed.

But, in reality - that's not how anyone actually installs tips. They come domed, you sand the flat side, glue and shape. I've installed many tips on a lathe and never once did I cut one in half to have two tops or two bottoms. ha!

-td

LOL, nor have I, I was informing the OP that it doesn't matter if you take the back half or the front half of the tip ;)

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On non-layered tips there is no top or bottom to the leather, it doesn't know the difference.
Really, no difference, the leather doesn’t know? One side is wind, sun, rain, snow. The other side is fat, muscle, blood, nice and cozy. I’m thinking the leather knows, exactly where it is.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
??! News to me. Why would anyone choose to double their tip replacements? Double the cost/effort/inconvenience. Would seem simpler to merely buy pre-compressed tips (milkduds?), if having to trim the initial mushrooming of a soft tip a few times is really too much bother (?).
Tips for players that play lots and/or participate as a source of income don't care about frequency of tip changes...or at least any considerations along those lines are secondary to performance.

Similar to tires for race cars. You race/ you replace.

DeeDeeCues

Really, no difference, the leather doesn’t know? One side is wind, sun, rain, snow. The other side is fat, muscle, blood, nice and cozy. I’m thinking the leather knows, exactly where it is.

I'm not positive I would make that conclusion. Provided the tip was pressed and then cut to a dome shape, then yes. If the tip is pressed with a dome shaped die, then there could be a lot of difference in the material, simply because the forces are different through the tip.

That is the academic side, the practical side asks if it matters and if a person can tell the difference. I don't care enough to find out.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not positive I would make that conclusion. Provided the tip was pressed and then cut to a dome shape, then yes. If the tip is pressed with a dome shaped die, then there could be a lot of difference in the material, simply because the forces are different through the tip.

That is the academic side, the practical side asks if it matters and if a person can tell the difference. I don't care enough to find out.
That is exactly why I posed the question. I was hoping a tip manufacturer would reply. Some tips must be turned down with a specific sharp tool or else it damages the tip. I will ask my installer when i get to his shop.

Recently I had a Ki-Tech tip reshaped after it became flat. That process made the tip spongy and by pressing a thumb nail in the side if the tip the tip expanded. It is now too soft for me. Nothing against Ki-Tech tips, I will continue to use them. I think Ki-Tech suggests a certain installation process.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Just looking at it mechanically, cutting in half may result in the side being glued to the shaft being uneven, making the tip crooked..tilted.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tips for players that play lots and/or participate as a source of income don't care about frequency of tip changes...or at least any considerations along those lines are secondary to performance.

Similar to tires for race cars. You race/ you replace.
Yes, but within reason. Back in the day, racers used to shave the tread off street tires also.

TrxR

Yes, but within reason. Back in the day, racers used to shave the tread off street tires also.
They still do shave tires. I know a few guys that race a mini stock class and they shave a good 1/2 to 3/4 of the tread off. If they dont the cars handle bad and the tires get big chunks ripped out.