Instroke cases questions

perspicaz

o-^-*-^-o
Silver Member
Hi!

I need a new case to carry my cues and after buyin a J&J rolling 4x8 case that is not really that good (tubes are not lined and cues rattle, besides it is darn heavy, 6.2 lbs empty, and wheels make it unstable), I think an Instroke is the better option for cue protection and functionality without spending too much (I don't want to take more care of my case than my cues).

I have a Jacoby with 2 shafts and break cue + jump cue (around 1000$ in cues) so 2x4 is the minimum size for me, although 3x6ish would probably be better if I ever want to carry more shafts or another playing cue, but weight is also a concern... or maybe 2 cases? :confused:

What instrokes are the lightest? is the 3x7 (or 3x5) with a 2x4 content much heavier that the 2x4? And also are the leather ones more durable than the vinyl or the other way around?

I've read that the predator instrokes are the lightest, but I wonder if the weight difference is significant, although I like the zippers but the logo might be too flashy. :eek:

I wish JB started mass producing simple instrokes with the "lovable hug" interior ;)

Thanks.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Your wish is my command. Actually we are bringing out a bunch of new lines with all the best features I gave developed over the past 15 years.

Watch the board as I will be certain to brag about them when they hit the market. :)

The interiors won't be exactly the same as the "Lovable Hug" that I did for GTF but I think you will be pleased with the funtion and protection for the money.

sygfrid

alaskador
Silver Member
JB Cases said:
Your wish is my command. Actually we are bringing out a bunch of new lines with all the best features I gave developed over the past 15 years.

Watch the board as I will be certain to brag about them when they hit the market. :)

The interiors won't be exactly the same as the "Lovable Hug" that I did for GTF but I think you will be pleased with the funtion and protection for the money.

Any hint as to when? I hope in a few days `coz I'm in the market for a new case as I've just sold my Instroke Buffalo last night... a PM may be good :)

Last edited:

Rift

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm curious as well, I was in the market for a case and just ended up buying the first thing I saw that I liked. But of course as soon as I got it in someone saw it and went to go get them one just like it so I'm thinking another change is in order. If it's possible could you put me on a mailing list of some sort, or a PM list for your new cases?

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
I have a 3x5 Instroke Buffalo that I could let go pretty cheap.
It's just starting to gather some dust these days.....lol
I figure that the weight difference is just that much more protection for my cues.
I'd rather carry around a 7 lb case for several thousand dollars worth of cues, than put a $1,000 cue into one that I'd worry about the bottom falling off, or being able to squeeze the case together with my hands, or cracks from the inside without alot of abuse.
That kind of defeats the purpose of protecting your cues.
I've never had a problem with any of my more expensive cases over the years, but generally just give away the inferior ones that don't meet my criteria.
I guess I'm not so lazy that I can't carry 10 lbs worth of cues and case around to play pool.

It's not like you're carrying 90 lbs and doing a 30 mile hump or anything.

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I will give everyone a hint as to the protection and weight factors.

After several months of development we have come up with a lightweight shell that is incredibly tough.

You can jump on it and beat it with a hammer and it won't break.

Most tubes used in other cases are made using plastics that are fairly weak over large areas. They often use a lot of recycled material which leads to weak spots and inconsistencies in density and wall thickness. This also makes the weight vary.

So I wanted to develop the lightest and strongest tubes possible. I don't know that I did but we did come up with the strongest one available. These tubes are just a few ounces heavier that what is currently available on the market and they are much stronger.

The "recipe" for the plastic is a secret. During the course of this development process it has been very educational and fun to play with so many different base materials trying to find the right balance.

All of my designs will be put on top of these shells. We can do any size from 1x1 to 5x10 using our method of making the cloth and foam interiors.

Lastly, we have developed an interior that allows the cues to come up a little when the case is opened. Sort of like a spring except that there is no metal, nothing to harm the cue, and nothing to take space away from the space available for the cues. Thus where a one inch spring means that the case has to be one inch longer to accomodate it, ours does not need to be and the cavity is fully usable.

perspicaz

o-^-*-^-o
Silver Member
So will this new cases be available as mass produced, or are they a new development for your custom line? Any timeline? :)

I personally think it is the way to go, outer hard shell for protection, and soft cradling interior that prevents movement and moisture to keep it lightweight. Make a 3x6 that is functional, protective and lightweight and I am sold ;)

BLACKHEARTCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might want to take a look at < nittanyleather.com > . A guy named Brian Bonner makes them, right here in the USA. On the web site is a picture of a case he made for me. I own 2 of his cases & have one on order. They are light weight & very well made...JER

perspicaz

o-^-*-^-o
Silver Member
Oh thanks, I will check out nittanyleather too. ;) The ones that have the foam interior seem to be rather cradling and soft with the cue. Do cues rattle in them or are they tightly secured?

As for the instrokes, are the vinyl ones lighter than the leather ones? Is vinyl less durable or just less nice?

Thanks.

robertno1pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Light Cases

How about someone using Carbon Fibre tubes and outer jacket in a case? It would be light weight, tough, and protect your cues during a drive-by shooting.

:D

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
perspicaz said:
So will this new cases be available as mass produced, or are they a new development for your custom line? Any timeline? :)

I personally think it is the way to go, outer hard shell for protection, and soft cradling interior that prevents movement and moisture to keep it lightweight. Make a 3x6 that is functional, protective and lightweight and I am sold ;)

They will be available on Sterling mass production cases after the BCA, with the first shipments due to arrive around August/September.

Also I will use the same shells on all my custom cases unless otherwise requested by the customer.

You are sold then because the new cases fill the bill on all points.

I do want to mention the efficiency of the cases as well. Another aspect of the way I developed this new line is that the cases are smaller than similar capacity ones. For example our 3x6 is not much bigger than most 2x4 cases. Basically I was able to shift the overall size down so that more parts can go into the next size down. You'll like it.

D_Lewis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
robertno1pool said:
How about someone using Carbon Fibre tubes and outer jacket in a case? It would be light weight, tough, and protect your cues during a drive-by shooting.

:D

Carbon fibre is big bucks!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$!
:)

sygfrid

alaskador
Silver Member
robertno1pool said:

I remember suggesting this to JB last year since I wanted a more modern case design with good resistance against heat. When John was asking around for CF, I was already researching for the cost of the CF to be used as the outer shell, &, if I remember it correctly, a sheet of CF (I forgot its thickness) for a size of 2x4 would be approx $250 :eek: So, I decided to scrap the idea, for now :D

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Cuephoric said:
I guess I'm not so lazy that I can't carry 10 lbs worth of cues and case around to play pool.

It's not like you're carrying 90 lbs and doing a 30 mile hump or anything.

Yeah, I was thinking the same exact thing. I mean for God's sake, I walk from my front door to my car then from my car to the pool table. I think I can handle that without straining myself.
MULLY

perspicaz

o-^-*-^-o
Silver Member
Of course, the weight is not an issue if you park your car at the door and just carry your case inside... but when that is not the case (you actually walk 15-20min to the pool room for example) it is certainly an issue, especially since they are hardly "ergonomic".

Anyway, the original idea for this post was to find out what instroke would be better for me considering they all offer the same protection and JB has stated that some of them are lighter than the others depending on the design etc. I was also interested in the durability between leather and vynil since I have never had a leather case.

After reading JB posts I have decided to wait and see what he comes up after the summer. I will use a cheaper soft or cloth divided hard case for the moment and I can always sell it later when I decide what to buy.

I wonder why online retailers don't put a picture of the interior together with the weight of each case... that would be helpful! The exterior is nice, but the interior is probably more important.

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JB Cases said:

Hey John,

I emailed you off your website a few months back about a case I wanted to get designed but I never got a response. Are you all so full with orders that you are backed up? Or did you ever get my email?

Thanks,
Scott Lilly

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
txplshrk said:
Hey John,

I emailed you off your website a few months back about a case I wanted to get designed but I never got a response. Are you all so full with orders that you are backed up? Or did you ever get my email?

Thanks,
Scott Lilly

I have a lot of emails that I haven't answered because I am backed up. Often I mark it to answer and somehow the days go by and those emails don't get answered. Others I thought I answered but didn't.

I will check back and answer your tonight.