Interest in slot cutters ground concentric to arbor?

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is time for me to replace a few slow cutters. I mount them to an arbor, trim excess, dab a bit of 5 minute epoxy, and send them off to be ground/sharpened concentric to the arbor. While I'm getting a quote, anyone interested if I decide it is worth it?

Whiteside, 1 - 7/8" diameter, 1/4" LOC, 1/4" or 1/2" shank. Three or 4 wing, the 4 wing more expensive. Price depends on machining quote. Modest up charge for my time and effort.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For tapering shafts & butts?
or for actual slots or something else?

Either way, is it the cutters, the arbors, or a sloppy fit between them that is off?

Making the arbors a very snug fit in the straight/unthreaded section is a good start for concentricity.
Also, I often find (when it matters) that a hand hone is a quicker way to develop ultimate concentricity that setting the tool back up in one of the grinders, for small discrepancies. Then there is the collet, spindle seat, & bearings the tool is mounted in for working......

smt

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I would be if it's 3/32 Kerf, snug fit as mentioned .
And not overly expensive .

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the issues is that commercial shanks have to fit a standard ball bearing. So that is the control size for a stock shank which has enough slop to slide one on, though usually that fit is pretty good. Then the cutters are sometimes made with a little clearance....& it can add up. Also, ball bearings have metric bores. Shanks often seem to be made to imperial dimensions. '5/16"', e.g.

Does your set up retain a bearing? If not, the shank size can be "improved" when making them.

What is the proposed app for the tools?

Thanks,
smt

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the issues is that commercial shanks have to fit a standard ball bearing. So that is the control size for a stock shank which has enough slop to slide one on, though usually that fit is pretty good. Then the cutters are sometimes made with a little clearance....& it can add up. Also, ball bearings have metric bores. Shanks often seem to be made to imperial dimensions. '5/16"', e.g.

Does your set up retain a bearing? If not, the shank size can be "improved" when making them.

What is the proposed app for the tools?

Thanks,
smt
I discard the bearing that comes with the arbor. I take an extra thick washer that has an undersized hole and bore the hole to fit the register.

I turn wood with these cutters. Shafts, butts, forearms, cores, nunchucks, whatever the case may be.

JC

Coos Cues
I use three wing cutters and some are better than others based on observing the wear patterns on the teeth after a while. I cannot however notice much difference in the quality of cut when one tooth is doing most of the work or all are somewhat equal at 10,000 rpm. They are in essence a single wing cutter with counterweights for balance. I have intentionally dulled the proud tooth on some of them to shorten them after a fair amount of cutting time to allow the others to then get involved and again the results don't seem to change much.

I assume your results have varied from this due to your desire for cutter concentricity?

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use three wing cutters and some are better than others based on observing the wear patterns on the teeth after a while. I cannot however notice much difference in the quality of cut when one tooth is doing most of the work or all are somewhat equal at 10,000 rpm. They are in essence a single wing cutter with counterweights for balance. I have intentionally dulled the proud tooth on some of them to shorten them after a fair amount of cutting time to allow the others to then get involved and again the results don't seem to change much.

I assume your results have varied from this due to your desire for cutter concentricity?
I can't say I have taken a slot cutter off the shelf that showed .003-.004" run out, cut with it, then had it ground concentric, then cut the same stock with it again using the exact same parameters to witness first hand any observable differences.

I believe multi toothed cutters cut better if all of the teeth are actually cutting their share. That may not apply or manifest itself in observable results for all operations, but I believe in general it is a sound concept. I was helping someone over the phone recently who was using a 6 wing cutter that had around .010" TIR. The concept of buying a 6 wing cutter due to the perception they are better for our needs than a typical 2 wing router bit, but the runout is so bad only 2 or 3 teeth will be doing the cutting just seems odd to me.

When I was using the Makita router I set up a boring bar on my CNC and wrote a program to grind the taper of the router (router was on, no collet installed in case this sounds puzzling) to improve the runout of the router. (Thanks Neil!) I now have a quality spindle which cost quite a bit, with nice collets. I know turning a cue isn't the same as cutting an inlay with a .005" endmill, but after all that effort I don't care to be satisfied with one tooth of a 3 wing cutter to do all of the cutting. This is even more so given my first go round doing this I found a place that ground the cutters at a very reasonable rate.

If I'm alone in this, I certainly don't mind.

Reactions: JC

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't say I have taken a slot cutter off the shelf that showed .003-.004" run out, cut with it, then had it ground concentric, then cut the same stock with it again using the exact same parameters to witness first hand any observable differences

I have. Well, all but "the same stock" part. New/other stock.
I agree, cutting on all 3 or 4 or close to it is probably "better". Since they are present and accounted for anyway.
The book "Chisels on a Wheel" addresses the effect and the discrepancies can be tiny, yet have observable results in the finish in apps such as mouldings.

I believe multi toothed cutters cut better if all of the teeth are actually cutting their share. That may not apply or manifest itself in observable results for all operations, but I believe in general it is a sound concept. I was helping someone over the phone recently who was using a 6 wing cutter that had around .010" TIR. The concept of buying a 6 wing cutter due to the perception they are better for our needs than a typical 2 wing router bit, but the runout is so bad only 2 or 3 teeth will be doing the cutting just seems odd to me.

OTOH, the only reason to buy more teeth is to cut (feed) faster.
No cutter will ever be as concentric and cut as smoothly as a dynamically balanced single lip (tooth) cutter, at the correct feed speed. However, that feed speed will be limited by a lot of factors. At that point, you add teeth (& HP) in proportion to the increase in feed desired. People are often confused that extra teeth are for smoothness. It will never work that way compared to a (balanced) single tooth, at the optimum feed. But the more teeth added, the faster the cutter can be fed with average discrepancies. (I agree - if the teeth are present, they should be working)

When I was using the Makita router I set up a boring bar on my CNC and wrote a program to grind the taper of the router (router was on, no collet installed in case this sounds puzzling) to improve the runout of the router. (Thanks Neil!) I now have a quality spindle which cost quite a bit, with nice collets.

Nice!

I know turning a cue isn't the same as cutting an inlay with a .005" endmill, but after all that effort I don't care to be satisfied with one tooth of a 3 wing cutter to do all of the cutting. This is even more so given my first go round doing this I found a place that ground the cutters at a very reasonable rate.

With some wing cutters it can be astounding how far from concentric some teeth are with each other or with the bore. Even worse are often metalworking slitting/slotting blades. Years ago it was a revelation when i broke one mid job and had to set up and sharpen an old one to finish. Suddenly, compared to the new blades, the re-sharp was smooth, cut on all teeth, just purred through the rest of the job. I had thought the arbor was bad! I make and modify a lot of tooling, including stellite and carbide tipped tools and slotters for myself, and for a contractor who sent me millwork (woodwork) projects for decades. The specialty tooling is for their install crews. There's nothing overly complex about the tooling, but some can take days' worth of scale labor out of a multi-month project, so it is worth a lot of money to them that would not make sense "retail".

If you can grind spindle tapers, why not make your own arbors, sized for a push fit for the cutters, and use a straight, non-threaded section where the cutter seats? Some i make are flush cutters, so the arbor is threaded (tapped) internally for a #10-32 or sometimes 1/4"-28 FH socket screw. The arbor stem needs to be counter sunk, and the cutter body itself the same, for a true flush cutter set up (cutter that will cut right down on the end, like a face mill) with the head of the 10-32 screw flush below the cutter teeth. For peripheral cutting only, that part (full flush) is not necessary. I like 4140 prehard for arbors, but drill rod will work though not quite as strong.

Also, i was not joking about evening up high teeth with a hand (diamond) hone. I hate setting stuff up on the T & C grinder for one at a time, and it is not fool-proof that it will correct things it the cutter is not both face and top ground. Or maybe done top only, very carefully, with a repeatable finger rest. The hand hone can get them all exact, in the spindle the cutter is running in, relatively rapidly. I note the high tooth by the dust and varnish build up, hone it, and run some more. Do this over a period of time and the cutter will be very sharp and very concentric. If the preference is to get them all concentric, right now, use a DTI indicator and hand hone while keeping track. Naturally the safety bulletin message is "ALWAYS unplug the machine while hand honing the cutter"

smt

Burnett Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use 2” 3 wing slot cutters by Freud and send them to a guy that sharpens them on the arbor. The guy doesn’t charge much, $7 a piece, and they are sharp and more concentric than they were from the factory. I don’t think they need to be perfect to cut a nice clean taper. I think feed, speed and the depth of cut is the most important factors to get a nice smooth cut.I found out I wasn’t taking enough of a cut and it was causing more chatter than when I took a lil deeper cut. IMO a person really needs to experiment with different speed, feed rate and depth of cut to keep from getting chatter with their machine. I think all machines can be a lil different.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I did my cutters, I had the sides tapered. So that all of the cutter in the stock is cutting with no rubbing. I tapered both sides, so that if the shaft was spinning in reverse or the cutter was on the other side, it would still be cutting the same.