Interesting show on the Discovery Channel

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The name of the program is Dirty Jobs, they show a variety of different jobs. This week one of the jobs was a company that uses a side scan sonar to pick submerged logs. They then cut them, put them in a kiln and eventually make furniture out of them.

They said the submerged logs don't rot because the water is cold, and the number of rings is far greater than on a tree you would cut down. One of the logs they brought up was a curly maple which made me think of cues.

Last edited:

lignum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been told that they're very stiff but "lifeless" feeling in the hit , all the resins have been leached away leaving the wood with too little flex . Probably good for jump cue shafts !

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
lignum said:
I've been told that they're very stiff but "lifeless" feeling in the hit , all the resins have been leached away leaving the wood with too little flex . Probably good for jump cue shafts !
A few years back there was a guy in the business of making 360 radial laminated shaft and he also sold wood. I talked to him about this wood and he said the reason it hass that "lifeless" feel is because even though the cold water had preserved the wood from rotting, that some kind of enzyme had eaten up the wood and cause it to lose it's lively feel and compression strength, therefore making it useless for shaft wood. That is what he said he was told by someone who had invested many thousands of dollars hoping to create a shaftwood fad and almost lost his shirt.
Chris
www.cuesmith.com
www.internationalcuemakers.com

Last edited:

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first impression is that the wood may have been on its way to petrification, and the sap in the wood would have set up differently than if it had been kiln or air dried. I think it would make great furniture. Another guy here in Louisiana pulls up petrified cypress from Lake Pontchartrain and makes furniture, but needs equipment made for milling stone as the wood is so hard. But it is very stable to work with.

pawnmon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old Growth Shaft

Bought a one off Jacoby from Billiards and Bagels in Oregon some years back. It came with 2 shafts. One was something stamped "Superior". Jim Oswald (shop owner) said it was the brand name of the wood the shaft was made of. Said it came from the bottom of Lake Superior, was old growth wood, and had more growth rings than regular shaftwood. Don't know if all that is of any use or if that shaft is any better than a regular shaft. It plays ok as far as I'm concerned, but nothing special. It's a good story however.

JimBo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
alstl said:
The name of the program is Dirty Jobs, they show a variety of different jobs. This week one of the jobs was a company that uses a side scan sonar to pick submerged logs. They then cut them, put them in a kiln and eventually make furniture out of them.

They said the submerged logs don't rot because the water is cold, and the number of rings is far greater than on a tree you would cut down. One of the logs they brought up was a curly maple which made me think of cues.

Jim Buss as well as a few others offer shafts made of this wood.

Jim