interesting source for marblite looking material

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its well documented i am not a cue maker, i cant change a tip, but i know a good bit about cues and their construction. So being the good Samaritan i am:rolleyes: LOL I was thinking of you guys who do make sawdust when I came across this idea:

http://www.crisloid.com/product-category/smooth-marbleized/

those checkers are 1.75" and could be cut up for rings, real easy. there are many other backgammon checkers I saw online today, i'm not exactly sure why i was looking at them, i saw some slate gray ones that would make STRONG looking rings, (assuming they dont crack or melt when they are milled down, or what ever process you use. I dont have the link on this machine to those checkers, it was a european site on a different machine. I will add it to this thread.

found it in english:

http://www.shop.gammoner.com/Checker---8.html?XTCsid=6e821048411dec425dba3aaba53cf070

The reason I made this thread is I miss the pearl shower rods Bushka used and Viking(what ever they used.) There are lots of Hopie ring cues the past couple years. And that fad will fade, so perhaps maybe the colored marblite looking rings will come back. I thought the checkers was a inexpensive source for some interesting ideas/

Thanks Guys

Eric:)

Last edited:

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Thanks Eric, it does make one think of ideas. I actually have a guy that wants me to make him a cue using marblized rings like he had on his Abe Rich cue....before his ex wife broke it and threw it away...:eek:
I told him it'd be awhile due to no good source, until now.
Dave

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think some collars with the dark brown marlblized rings would look cool, 2.5MM wide. would take the right checker to cut up so it would have enuff marble look to it,

aslo have to see how soft and or brittle it is, if its suitable at all.

I looked at 25 more sites yesterday and there is some amazing looking checkers that are not very much $$$-could lead to some interesting cue design work we havent seen in a long time if ever. I know this is not new, just been a very long time. If I was a cue maker i'd waste a little time playing with it in my spare time(i make spare time even when i dont have it)

hope it works, if anyone wants me to look and post more links to better looking checkers let me know, i'm glad to do it-in my spare time:grin:

best eric

Russell Cues

Maverick Cue Builder
Silver Member
Very interesting ! Im going to look into this real soon... as in, as soon as I find the old backgammon set I have laying around !! Im sure if one tried hard enough a rod of this stuff might be attainable? ??

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
Warning!!!!

Cue building is an addiction. Seeing cue parts in checkers is a very strong sign you are succumbing to the addiction!

Fatboy! You have been warned!

Larry

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Warning!!!!

Cue building is an addiction. Seeing cue parts in checkers is a very strong sign you are succumbing to the addiction!

Fatboy! You have been warned!

Larry

thanks for the warning:grin:

I know many cue makers well and i sure love cue building. I been around cue building since I walked into SW back on 7-1-87(my dads b-day-that's why i remember the date). then I met Billy Teeter in 88 when he started building cues we became friends instantly.

that was the early days for me around cues.

I am not very handy with tools, changing a light bulb is a possibility for me. If I has a remote chance to build cues, I might stop playing pool to build cues.

i really admire cue builders and their work/art/passion.

best
eric:):)