IQ Infinity LD Shaft Review

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Needs taper by the joint.
Making it straight makes the drop down/taper past the first 3 inches too steep.
And having no taper at the joint looks funky and serves no purpose imo.

That's some of the reasons people don't like them, me included.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's one of the things that makes the taper stiff, which I like.

Julian

After my humble experience as a builder I could say it's possible to achieve stiffness while the tapers of the forearm and the shaft at the joint area look as one whole being in one line... but I'll better be consequent ... the main thing you're happy with the look:thumbup:

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's one of the things that makes the taper stiff, which I like.

Julian

I've played stiffer hitting cues that fit and looked much better.

But, as you said earlier, they are cheaper. You get what you pay for.

You seem to be happy with it. Why are you worried about others thoughts with your cue.

If I like my cue, I play it and don't care what others think.

Last edited:

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Low deflection and stiff do not mix well.

On the contrary, I think the general consensus is stiff + low end mass is the best combination. That's why carbon fiber shafts are gaining popularity. The opposite of that would be whippy, and that's usually a complaint.

To me it makes perfect sense that this particular taper helps create a stiffer shaft. I have also read on here that other reputed custom makers use the same method. This may not be your preferred approach, and that's OK. If want to educate the audience, you can elaborate on what other ways there are to achieve that.

Julian

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
On the contrary, I think the general consensus is stiff + low end mass is the best combination. That's why carbon fiber shafts are gaining popularity. The opposite of that would be whippy, and that's usually a complaint.

To me it makes perfect sense that this particular taper helps create a stiffer shaft. I have also read on here that other reputed custom makers use the same method. This may not be your preferred approach, and that's OK. If want to educate the audience, you can elaborate on what other ways there are to achieve that.

Julian

What other reputed custom cue makers make a shaft with a straight taper by the joint ?

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played one before. It's been a bit though.

IMO, people that want the performance of LD cues but cannot get past the dead feeling and sound of extremely low LD shaft like the revo and becue, well, they would probably be better off with the IQ or "ANY other cue" that is old wood with pretty much "ANY type rod inside it" that will keep the weight down but still be stiff.

To me, the performance of the IQ was in between solid maple and super-LD shafts.

So, if a person wants really low LD the IQ is a no, but if they want a some LD performance and still have the solid maple feel/sound, the IQ is a yes.

My thoughts on the IQ:

I do not like "some" deflection. I like either solid maple or LD all the way but have a problem with anything in the middle.

I have a friend though......that has two of them and plays very well with them.

They are just another shaft. Some will like them, some love them, some hate them and then some that do not really care either way.

Bottom line:

I'm glad you found a cue you like. I'm sure you will do great with it.

Rake

Have you tried Mezz ??
Imo , the best bang for buck if u r looking for one piece un-laminated shaft which hit super stiff , yet with low deflection.
Try the Wx 700 shaft.

For lower deflection and even stiffer hit.
Go for their Ex-pro or hybrid pro 2 shaft !!

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Between IQ shaft and Mezz Hybrid Pro 2 which one has the stiffest hit and more feedback? I'm looking for a new shaft for a Joss cue, and want a stiffer, crisp hit.

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Between IQ shaft and Mezz Hybrid Pro 2 which one has the stiffest hit and more feedback? I'm looking for a new shaft for a Joss cue, and want a stiffer, crisp hit.
I can't comment on the Mezz, but the IQ does have all the things you are looking for. It's also cheaper and easier to get in Romania. Heck, you can jump on a cheap flight and take delivery in person in Athens.

Julian

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Imo , the best bang for buck if u r looking for one piece un-laminated shaft which hit super stiff , yet with low deflection.
Try the Wx 700 shaft.

That's a pretty radical statement. Have you consistently tried all the LD shafts in existence, including IQ ?

Julian

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played one before. It's been a bit though.

IMO, people that want the performance of LD cues but cannot get past the dead feeling and sound of extremely low LD shaft like the revo and becue, well, they would probably be better off with the IQ or "ANY other cue" that is old wood with pretty much "ANY type rod inside it" that will keep the weight down but still be stiff.

To me, the performance of the IQ was in between solid maple and super-LD shafts.

So, if a person wants really low LD the IQ is a no, but if they want a some LD performance and still have the solid maple feel/sound, the IQ is a yes.

I had the opportunity to test my IQ against a friend's Revo last night. I replicated the exact same shots switching back and forth between my and his cue. To me there was no difference in aiming with sidespin. The owner of the Revo also agrees. They both have noticeable deflection over a long distance on a 9ft table.

Julian

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the opportunity to test my IQ against a friend's Revo last night. I replicated the exact same shots switching back and forth between my and his cue. To me there was no difference in aiming with sidespin. The owner of the Revo also agrees. They both have noticeable deflection over a long distance on a 9ft table.

Julian

I didn't have the same results as you did.

Either way, it really doesn't matter what you think or what I think......it is what it is.

You like your Cue? Yes. Why the need to confront very knowledgeable people such as joey and disagree with him even when science and experience is on his side?

Go play pool,

Rake

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't have the same results as you did.

Either way, it really doesn't matter what you think or what I think......it is what it is.

You like your Cue? Yes. Why the need to confront very knowledgeable people such as joey and disagree with him even when science and experience is on his side?

Go play pool,

Rake
It's a discussion I couldn't comment on that before because I hadn't compared but now I did and I'm sharing my findings. It's not directed at you or anyone else.

Julian

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a discussion I couldn't comment on that before because I hadn't compared but now I did and I'm sharing my findings. It's not directed at you or anyone else.

Julian

I understand.

Typed words on a screen show wrong meanings at times.

All good here,

Rake

iqcues

Registered
hi

i am very happy to have different opinion about the shaft because ,both you have right ......!!!
my shaft is very old wood and Kiln Dried,and after 20-25 years in air ,so is down to 6% humidity !!!! over 20 cut any 15-20 days to stop in 13.2 mm ,then i make one or two final cut to finish the shaft ,my shaft is solid wood and with my patent i make it low deflection !
i give guaranty in my shaft and i am here if any of my customer have problem ,and send new shaft in 4-5 days!

i hope some time try my shaft many of the players in usa , hi hit like a solid shaft is very very low deflection in more different hit or speed ,
in my opinion the shaft play perfect with kamui clear soft tip......

i hope to help you

iq cues team

dimitris

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a pretty radical statement. Have you consistently tried all the LD shafts in existence, including IQ ?

Julian

Hi Julian, i tried most Ld shaft and a couple of custom shafts.

All pred shaft, jacoby hybrid , musashi , lucasi hybrid to custom shafts such as southwest, olney, gilbert.
And in my humble opinion , mezz is the perfect hybrid between custom and productiom cue as it delivers an extremely stiff hit with lots of power n cue ball action yet maintaining reasonably low deflection desspite it being a solid maple unlaminated one piece shaft.

I wld say my opinion is unbaised as i play with a mezz butt but predator 314-2 shaft.
Reason being i prefer a softer hit and im able to control the cue ball better .
However in terms of bang for buck , fit n finish n quality, ifeel that mezz cues and shafts are hands down the the leaders in the industry for any serious pool players.

Unfortunately its my 1st time hearing bout iq shafts so i havent tried it yet and i hope to try it if i have the chance :)

Thanks