IRISH LINEN

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have always had leather wrap or no wrap on my cues. I now have 2 cues with white Irish Linen.
What do you use to clean them, I dont want to mess them up.

Thanks

middleofnowhere

Registered
I have always had leather wrap or no wrap on my cues. I now have 2 cues with white Irish Linen.
What do you use to clean them, I dont want to mess them up.

Thanks
If you clean it you then have to press it if it gets fuzzy. Not saying others should do this but it is what I do. I coat mine with Butchers wax and press and polish it. It also provides a little tackyness that I like.
Some people I know use spray starch. Some cuemakers use thinned Elmer's glue to seal it.

Last edited:

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a touch of Woolite diluted with water on a damp cloth if they are real dirty. Damp, not wet. For touch up I use a magic eraser. I take my time and work top down or bottom up. Works for me. Then I use an old piece of leather or freezer paper to seal it back up.

If they are flat filthy, you may need to take them somewhere and let someone with a lathe clean them.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Keeping hands clean is the easiest answer. Then you have few dirty problems.
doesn't work for me. I am right handed and always chalk with my right hand holding the cue to the side.. Inevitably my palm gets full of chalk over time. I guess I should keep a damp cloth with me and clean my hand more.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I clean my linen wrap with a damp paper towel before each session.
A few swipes.
Amazing how much chalk comes off on to the paper towel in a single session.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I clean my linen wrap with a damp paper towel before each session.
A few swipes.
Amazing how much chalk comes off on to the paper towel in a single session.
Pete Tascarella told me to take a very slightly wet paper towel (wring it out until almost dry) and wrap it around the linen wrap and turn it in the direction of the linen strands. Basically, grip the cue with the paper towel and gently turn the cue in your hand. It does take a lot of stuff off. I also learned to chalk with my bridge hand instead of my grip hand. This helps keep chalk off the wrap.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
doesn't work for me. I am right handed and always chalk with my right hand holding the cue to the side.. Inevitably my palm gets full of chalk over time. I guess I should keep a damp cloth with me and clean my hand more.
Learn to swipe the chalk more gently. You will get way less chalk falling off.

buyit

Bavafongoul cleans his linen handles before they get too dirty, then burnishes them with a thick glass to get rid of the fuzziness:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/threads/help-with-value-of-tim-scruggs-cue.536990/#post-7105919

I'm getting ready to try that method myself. I think by "wiping the linen in a circular motion" he means you should wrap the cloth around the handle then turn the cloth in the same direction as the wrap. From reading his post, I'm not quite sure in what direction you should rub with the glass. Up and down the length of the handle, or only in the direction of the wrap?

Last edited:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After cleaning you can rub the wax side of wax paper on it, then use smooth side of a paper bag to press in. Comes out as good as new.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
its all in what you prefer. i like my linen a little fluffy. and only clean it maybe once every few years. with just a damp towel and rub it a little.
cues of old never had the linen ironed by the maker.