Is gambling required at the higher skill levels?

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
when you bet your car crashes or your house burns and lose that bet year after year you dont face it or think about it

but when you bet on a game of skill and lose you have to face it right then and say to yourself,, i made a bad game or i am not as good as i think i am. or i made a stupid bet.

some can do that, but most have to hide behind their righteousness

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
At this stage of my life, I couldn't care less about the winning or losing a few bucks playing the game I enjoy so much. I just like to bet something to keep score and make us both play hard.
Yup, that is the point. Otherwise, 99% of the time that you play for nothing, both players play like they don't value it. That's fine for casual socializing or practicing new things. I can count on one hand players that I have known over the years that I felt like we competed seriously without gambling. They are an unusual person. I do find I end up bearing down against them because they bear down so hard simply over pride and/or respect -- but in my opinion it is a rare very few players that can consistently and truly bear down competitively with nothing at all at stake.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
when you bet your car crashes or your house burns and lose that bet year after year you dont face it or think about it

but when you bet on a game of skill and lose you have to face it right then and say to yourself,, i made a bad game or i am not as good as i think i am. or i made a stupid bet.

I bet wide open

Only way to get action is being the action

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
some need something to play for to help them focus, others are trying to take you out if your comfort zone, others just need the money! Having something to play for always increased my focus .. hell, if my wife came downstairs today and said she would only sleep with me tonight if I ran the next 5 racks .. I’d pretty much be in the Zone 😎

dendweller

Yup, that is the point. Otherwise, 99% of the time that you play for nothing, both players play like they don't value it. That's fine for casual socializing or practicing new things. I can count on one hand players that I have known over the years that I felt like we competed seriously without gambling. They are an unusual person. I do find I end up bearing down against them because they bear down so hard simply over pride and/or respect -- but in my opinion it is a rare very few players that can consistently and truly bear down competitively with nothing at all at stake.
I played this afternoon, asked a guy to bang them around. He's a better player than me, I know, I've played him before. First time I've played with out a small bet on the line in quite a while. To be honest, we both played pretty hard and it was kind of refreshing. Surprised me.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member

Its a game of pool for small money that everyone will forget about next week lol talk about self righteousness