Is gambling required at the higher skill levels?

Cuedup

I love pool and play daily. As my skill level increased I've noticed a reoccurring theme. Whenever I match up with higher skilled players it always ends up with a proffer to gamble. Always.

I'll gamble sometimes. When I do I usually end up ahead, unless it's in doubles but that's another thread altogether, but gambling isn't why I'm there. Pool is why I'm there. I'll play rack after rack alone or practicing different aspects of the game by myself. I spend a lot of time coaching and playing with lower skill players and never have a problem finding someone to play with but inevitably whenever equally matched or higher skilled players come around it always ends up with a proffer to gamble.

I love to match up with equally skilled or higher skilled players. It makes my day. I love the competition and there is nothing I like better. However, within a few racks it inevitably turns into an offer to gamble and if the offer is declined there is no interest left.

Am I alone in this? Is it about the game or the gamble? Are the two inseparable? Does anyone want to match up for fun?

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I do not play for money. Does nothing for me. Plus I’m a hot dog. Call me Oscar Myer. I enjoy playing stronger and my level. As for playing a stronger player 1p I don’t expect to win. I’m
not suppose to. I’d pay for the time .. that’s it.

DeeDeeCues

I love pool and play daily. As my skill level increased I've noticed a reoccurring theme. Whenever I match up with higher skilled players it always ends up with a proffer to gamble. Always.

I'll gamble sometimes. When I do I usually end up ahead, unless it's in doubles but that's another thread altogether, but gambling isn't why I'm there. Pool is why I'm there. I'll play rack after rack alone or practicing different aspects of the game by myself. I spend a lot of time coaching and playing with lower skill players and never have a problem finding someone to play with but inevitably whenever equally matched or higher skilled players come around it always ends up with a proffer to gamble.

I love to match up with equally skilled or higher skilled players. It makes my day. I love the competition and there is nothing I like better. However, within a few racks it inevitably turns into an offer to gamble and if the offer is declined there is no interest left.

Am I alone in this? Is it about the game or the gamble? Are the two inseparable? Does anyone want to match up for fun?

I'm with you. I spent a lot of years playing at bars for drinks or low stakes. I've played a lot of ring games with friends. Most of the time I want winning or losing enough to change my life.

I like playing with people who have the game above the gamble.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I must suck at communicating.

Gambling isn't really my thing. I just like to play but those of similar skill level or higher always end up wanting to gamble.
Try to find a weekly game with a regularly that is on the same track.

GentlemanJames

For me, it depends.

When you are playing a guy who has a very healthy respect for himself and for you, even without the money, when it feels like a "showdown" it is much like the same vibe as gambling, because both of you are acknowledging that you are "gambling" with the proof of who is better - you are going to live with the undeniable result - every time you see each other.

When playing with someone who is just playing for play-sake and no esteem involved, nor any money, that dynamic is not present. So, if the guy is doesn't really care about you as "a guy worth trying to beat", then yes, the money helps increase the tension.

So, for what it's worth, my answer is to the question of: "Is gambling required?"; my answer is: "it depends." - GJ

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool for me has been different things at different times in my life.

I’m too lazy to go down memory lane and talk about my story.

If you want to play better players the best way is to put value on pool and play for $.

I can’t play unless I’m in action, I could the first few years. I love pool, but after so many years of pool for $-free play isn’t possible. Unless it’s a social situation for a few games and I’m done.

Gambling on pool gives it value and most solid players value their time and their game. Get better and win some, lose some.

It’s possible to have a friend who plays better and not gamble. I have a couple people out of 1000’s I’ve known over the decades who play better than me and we don’t gamble. But it’s extremely rare. Same is true for weaker players, I have a couple friends who play weaker than me that I’ll play on a rare occasion and don’t gamble with.

It doesn’t have to be big action, $20 1P or races to 7 in a retention game is enough $ to keep score and try. Which is the point after you have played a zillion hours to gain a skill that you want to earn $ with. That’s pool.

At lower levels, and beginners free pool is cool and more normal. The higher you go up the ladder the fact is you have to pay to play a champion a challenge rack at an exhibition.

That how it goes

Fatboy<——-rail bird, just blowing his $ on rail bets now-less work that way.

Cuedup

When you are playing a guy who has a very healthy respect for himself and for you, even without the money, when it feels like a "showdown" it is much like the same vibe as gambling, because both of you are acknowledging that you are "gambling" with the proof of who is better - you are going to live with the undeniable result - every time you see each other.
I completely feel that though I can't be sure the other guy is on the same page, but I've had that feeling.

I haven't been playing that long. I played a session of APA but I really didn't like the format. Too much waiting around and not playing. I ended the session as a 7. I've since joined an in-house league with a round Robin format I really like and I've started logging some fargo matches to get a rating established.

However, I just have a hard time finding quality players to match up with
and hone our skills without gambling becoming involved and I'm wondering if that's just how it is or am I in a bubble and need to search eslewhere?

Edited for fat fingers

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
So,my question for you is where do you find your competition at? Do you just play alone? Leagues? Amongst friends?
Honesty, if you like competition at the highest level, you will get no higher level than when someone has to dig in their pocket.
There are usually 2 to 3 groups of pool players.
League players and recreational pool hall players.
League players who will play cheap sets.
Gamblers who bet from small to big.

You just need to find someone in the first category who will give you their A game with just pride on the line.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So,my question for you is where do you find your competition at? Do you just play alone? Leagues? Amongst friends?
Fortunately I connected with a few local players from AZB. The others are students of my instructor. I love playing with them. It’s the best yet. They are competitive. We get a chance to spar and compare notes. I have to stay on my toes to keep up. Nobody acts out. Money is never introduced. Most of us have home tables. Otherwise I was going into a local room and was asked to play 1p after someone was watching me. Said I’d like to but not for money. If you go into a room and feel comfortable ask the owner/manager to set up a game with someone that has the same interests. You are not alone.

Cuedup

I always feel like gambling when my opponet is considerably weaker than I am. If my opponet is equal to me in skill level, there is no way I am going to gamble. Does that make me a bad person?
I'm always looking to exploit my weaker fellow man for personal gain. Does that make me a bad person?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First, I like stealing. Betting is more the word. Propositions usually mean, "I want into your bank account." no matter how they are worded. I've found that while money/action sense is fundamental to the game and I would recommend it casual players as requisite, it's also restrictive and stifling. You may be a Florian Kohler at heart but an action bias would put a damper on the creative aspect. One or the other...