Is it bad etiquette when ......

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
My friend hates that saying so much that when someone uses it towards him, we all turn and look at each other knowing there will be words and maybe even a physical fight. The poor guy that muttered it will know what he did in no time.

We now use it to shark him....hee hee hee...so, there ya go.

Jeff Livingston

For some reason that brightened up a rather unhappy day.

Thank you so much for that

Peace
Ted

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't car if my opponent sits when I am at the table as long as he stands away, and i mean away from the table. Yup. It's a shark move.

The one that gets me is after running balls and getting on an easy shot on the money ball your opponent leans his stick against the wall like the game is over. I usually say "thanks." He'll usually say "for what?" I'll say "for conceeding, I thought you were getting up to rack." Then comes the "I wasn't conceding." I get back on the shot. This only happens once no matter how often I play that particular opponent.

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't car if my opponent sits when I am at the table as long as he stands away, and i mean away from the table. Yup. It's a shark move.

The one that gets me is after running balls and getting on an easy shot on the money ball your opponent leans his stick against the wall like the game is over. I usually say "thanks." He'll usually say "for what?" I'll say "for conceeding, I thought you were getting up to rack." Then comes the "I wasn't conceding." I get back on the shot. This only happens once no matter how often I play that particular opponent.

Or they yell Nice Shot and scare the soup out of you. That does annoy/effect my next move.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
The one I see often is someone will stand nearby holding his cue, after you sink 4-5 balls he will lean his cue against the wall. That apparently is the point in the game where he determines he wont be coming back to the table.

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I completely disagree with the people saying if your opponent does that, you should stand up and wait, or tell him to sit down, or respond in any way. If you do that, you've been sharked. The only thing to do is ignore it.

What's worse than poor etiquette? Overreacting to it.

I agree. Especially since the original post isn't even that big of a deal as far as things go. Having stuff that bothers you and effects you over multiple games is much worse.

Same reason I don't get into arguments during a set. I'd rather not fight you on this ball in hand, then have this tension and bad blood just hanging over the rest of the match.

One minor disagreement though. If they unscrew their cue, that bothers me, and I will ask if they concede. I can't stand the look of glee on their faces and how fast they screw their cues back together if their opponent misses.

At the very least on those, I'd like to watch them screw their cue back together before I win and make them unscrew it again.

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After the first time, I'd tell him kindly to remain seated when I'm shooting.

If he keeps doing it, I will tell him not-so-kindly.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. Especially since the original post isn't even that big of a deal as far as things go. Having stuff that bothers you and effects you over multiple games is much worse.

Same reason I don't get into arguments during a set. I'd rather not fight you on this ball in hand, then have this tension and bad blood just hanging over the rest of the match.

One minor disagreement though. If they unscrew their cue, that bothers me, and I will ask if they concede. I can't stand the look of glee on their faces and how fast they screw their cues back together if their opponent misses.

At the very least on those, I'd like to watch them screw their cue back together before I win and make them unscrew it again.
Right, I'd even say it would be reasonable to go shake hands and say "good game" if they unscrew. Most rules say it IS a concession, whether they intend it to be or not.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
An interesting fact about playing on a pool table is this. It's well LIT, like an operating table, everyone can see everything/hear/feel your moment of pain/pleasure, thus learning quickly/good or bad, about human Nature. Pool, more than life, offers up more instances of interaction with other two legged animals and others, and it's well LIT :). What you see/feel/LEARN, when someone picks up that piece of wood and starts 'swingin it' their true character surfaces. Being around large pool events, your getting this X10 compared to the rest of your breathing day. :grin-square:

So once in awhile, to prepare for an event, I will play/match up with guyz I can't stand to play with. All I'm doing is learning to control my actions, it works. Only bad thing, is the idiot you don't like to play with, NOW thinks you are enjoying yourself. lol

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Don't let them off the hook. Once they start unscrewing their cue, or they walk away from the table when you're on the hill and running out, match is over, no discussion. They'll learn real quick not to do it again!