IS IT BAD/WRONG TO SLIDE YOUR BRIDGE HAND???

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
a friend of mine took a lesson
when he comes down to shoot
he tends to slide his bridge hand along the shot line on the cloth as he comes to his final resting place
the instructor wanted him to come down directly on the final resting spot
is one way preferred?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some instructors will forbid things because they are not standard. Others because they have good reasons. Does it cause a problem? If there is no problem, leave it alone.

Your friend should ask his instructor. It may have something to do with some other problem your friend has.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I like the principles of visualizing the shot line and placing the bridge accurately on it, but I’d get over the sliding pretty quickly.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
he tends to slide his bridge hand along the shot line on the cloth as he comes to his final resting place
is one way preferred?
Why does he slide it? It could be a mobility thing. I've seen sliding move the CB move before on loose cloth.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would rather not say fran
But will say his other advice was very good
I was sure you would have answered that way. I just wanted to put you on the spot the way you put us on the spot. I'm sure you didn't realize you were doing that, but you are.

How is that fair to us, the instructor in question, and your friend? And even if you named that instructor, we still don't know the circumstances. And even if we knew the circumstances, should we discuss the content of a private lesson publicly like that? See the problems with what you're asking?

I think Bob Jewett's response is the best one.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbb

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was sure you would have answered that way. I just wanted to put you on the spot the way you put us on the spot. I'm sure you didn't realize you were doing that, but you are.

How is that fair to us, the instructor in question, and your friend? And even if you named that instructor, we still don't know the circumstances. And even if we knew the circumstances, should we discuss the content of a private lesson publicly like that? See the problems with what you're asking?

I think Bob Jewett's response is the best one.
I see your point fran
Even tho i was not trying to put him on the spot
I see how it could be interpreted that way
I guess I should have left off the Instructer part
And just asked if sliding the bridge hand towards the cue ball when coming down for the shot is a bad thing to do

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Its like elbow drop
Some instructors are adamant about it others not so much
Just wanted to know if the hand slide fell into a category like that or was not recommended

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see your point fran
Even tho i was not trying to put him on the spot
I see how it could be interpreted that way
I guess I should have left off the Instructer part
And just asked if sliding the bridge hand towards the cue ball when coming down for the shot is a bad thing to do
Right. I think that's a better way to ask the question, as in general terms.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
is one way preferred?
Do pros slide the bridge hand into play on (most) shots? They do not.

You will often see newbies and low-level league players get into the stance with a very large tip gap, then slide their stroke hand forward to close this gap--which ruins the angle of their shooting arm before practice strokes are taken.

Some stronger players correct large tip gaps with the type of bridge hand slide you described, which slide action tugs the stroke hand a small distance forward--not as bad as moving the stroke hand directly, but bad for the stance regardless.

IMHO, the correct way to tighten a tip gap at address is the feet--standing closer to the balls to begin the stance process.

This is true in all stick-and-ball sports, for example, we tell the batter to stand closer to home plate, and would never tell them to instead stand too far from home plate then stretch their arms an added distance to swing and contact the baseball.

I believe the pool instructor was correct unless the stance and all else were superb after the slide for all shots during the lesson--something I've not before seen with bridge hand sliders.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do pros slide the bridge hand into play on (most) shots? They do not.

You will often see newbies and low-level league players get into the stance with a very large tip gap, then slide their stroke hand forward to close this gap--which ruins the angle of their shooting arm before practice strokes are taken.

Some stronger players correct large tip gaps with the type of bridge hand slide you described, which slide action tugs the stroke hand a small distance forward--not as bad as moving the stroke hand directly, but bad for the stance regardless.

IMHO, the correct way to tighten a tip gap at address is the feet--standing closer to the balls to begin the stance process.

This is true in all stick-and-ball sports, for example, we tell the batter to stand closer to home plate, and would never tell them to instead stand too far from home plate then stretch their arms an added distance to swing and contact the baseball.

I believe the pool instructor was correct unless the stance and all else were superb after the slide for all shots during the lesson--something I've not before seen with bridge hand sliders.
How about sliding the bridge hand forward during a stroke. Would that ever be a good thing to do?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
PJ and bbb, I don’t understand why you guys are laughing at me. I asked a very important, legitimate question and was scoffed at.
I'm not sure we can be friends anymore
i took your post to mean
the backhand and front hand move forward together as the cue moves forward
i thought you were being sarcastic not serious
i have never seen that
i dont know who you are so we cant be friends
amicable on line acquaintances is possible …..;)

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i took your post to mean
the backhand and front hand move forward together as the cue moves forward
i thought you were being sarcastic not serious
i have never seen that
i dont know who you are so we cant be friends
amicable on line acquaintances is possible …..;)
No, I'm serious. I've never seen it either. Just wondering if it could be beneficial on some shots.
PJ'S still laughing, I don't know why.