Is it time to play one pocket??

For your first one pocket lesson, and this is just my opinion, based on my experience, with all due respect.

You don't get weight for cheap one pocket where you are essentially paying for lessons. If you can get a good player to teach you for $10 a game - and you can ask questions - then you're essentially paying for lessons. If a good player is going to give you weight like you are mentioning, it's no longer an "ask questions" match. It is a serious match, and the value of the match will reflect accordingly.

That's pretty much it.

I've had some of the younger guys play me $20 a game just to see how they measure up and I give a lot of respect to those guys doing it "old school." One I recently played told me it was his ambition to be able to play me even (not there yet, lol). I can tell you this: if I give up crazy stupid weight AND you're asking me questions... you better grab hold of your butt cheeks because you're basically asking me to tell you how to beat me getting crazy stupid weight and honestly... I'm going to recommend some crazy ca-ca : -)

Lou Figueroa
was never expecting
to become the old dog
gray beard
 
Last edited:
That's the one I'm having trouble wrapping my head around Matt.
I absolutely must get rid of my preconceived notions on one pocket if I'm ever going to play the game well.

Need to come down to Buff's for one of the big gambling events. The event itself, the brand of spectator these events draw, you will see power one pocket played. Some games last thirty minutes or an hour, a lot don't last ten minutes. Welcome to power one pocket!

The tournament game in particular is often eight and out.

Hu
 
That's pretty much it.

I've had some of the younger guys play me $20 a game just to see how they measure up and I give a lot of respect to those guys doing it "old school." One I recently played told me it was his ambition to be able to play me even (not there yet, lol). I can tell you this: if I give up crazy stupid weight AND you're asking me questions... you better grab hold of your butt cheeks because you're basically asking me to tell you how to beat me getting crazy stupid weight and honestly... I'm going to recommend some crazy ca-ca : -)

Lou Figueroa
was never expecting
to become the old dog
gray beard
That is how I came up. You don’t ask for weight playing cheap. You have to pay for an education.
 
why would you pay to learn. make games with players that you can win at.

winning is more fun.

you can watch better players and see what they do. and learn from that.
 
why would you pay to learn. make games with players that you can win at.

winning is more fun.

you can watch better players and see what they do. and learn from that.

IMO, if you're really interested in being competitive and improving your game, you have to take the ocassional beating.

You've got to see and experience the situations better players come up with, develop responses, execute said responses, and see what you get back.

There's is no substitute.

Lou Figueroa
you can't learn much
clubbing baby seals
 
there is no substitute for just winning. and not during any thing that is ev negative.

better players always seem to say you got to pay to learn or pay to play. but they are not doing it.
 
there is no substitute for just winning. and not during any thing that is ev negative.

better players always seem to say you got to pay to learn or pay to play. but they are not doing it.

If you don't play better players you're always going to be a player of limited means.

Lou Figueroa
always stuck
never better
to each their own
 
you can play better players just get a spot that you can win with, only a sucker gambles when he knows he is going to lose.

if a good player will play with you for fun have at it.
 
If you always want the best of it you are generally considered a nit.

Lou Figueroa
Lou, you said it all in your responses. If you want to be a better player you HAVE to challenge yourself. It isn't about being a locksmith. There is NO substitute for real world experience. Playing under the kind of pressure and within the kind of situations a better player will put you in.
 
Back
Top