Is one phenolic cue tip better than another?

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The Pool Dawg Elite is $4.00.

Are all phenolic tips the same?

I am going to replace the Water Buffalo tip on my Howard break/ jump cue and would appreciate any advice from those who know about such things.

Thanks

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mike Gulassey say's his phenolic tips are best, they hold chalk better and don't crack as easy as others.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
There are several different grades and makers of phenolics.. At one point Atlas had sewed them all up so you pretty much couldn't go direct to the manufacturer and had to go thu them.... Times may have changed... Or I could be dead wrong...

As far as Mike's tips... I think he attempted to patent the one piece ferrule tip but lord knows I am no certain on any of this...

What I do know is that not all of it is the same... Some has more elasticity to it than others... I don't know where predator is getting theirs but to me it seems to be the best I have seen....

I had one of the original sledgehammers and the phenolic seemed to be run of the mill Atlas stock... During the same time the bunji jumper was the rage and the phenolic on it seemed to be pretty good stuff too...

I spoke to Lomax on the subject a few years ago and while I don't recall specifics I do recall that he confirmed there were indeed differences and he had to deal with them in designing the Lomax jump cue that many many players are in love with......

Chris

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member

I am going to replace the Water Buffalo tip on my Howard break/ jump cue and would appreciate any advice from those who know about such things.

Thanks

I found this article on Phenolics that was interesting. http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-phenolic.htm#slideshow

I once was visiting Mark Bear in his shop and he said there were rolled phenolic tips and molded phenolic tips and he preferred the molded I believe.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks

:eek:

There is all kinds of stuff out there! Different people like different things. There are different types of phenolic tips. But what works for one person doesn't mean it's the best.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221208385120?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

This is not phenolic...but works great for some people.:)

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the information.

Here is what I learned so far.

Predator sells a leather layered tip.

Gulassey does not appear to sell tips (except as installed on his cues).

I haven't found any info on rolled versus molded tips.

Looks like thee is not much information on tip comparison.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you haven't seen this yet, you can check it out---------->

http://www.cuestik.com/store/?DEPARTMENT_ID=45

If you have a lathe and want to try something I have, I can send you a piece.:wink:

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Tons of types of Phenolics out there , of the many if not most sold by retailers, probably have no idea what the actual phenolic is they are selling.

Myself, being a machinist/engineer, I buy phenolic rod stock and mill my own tips. Then I know what it is and even a small piece of rod can last a lifetime for the cost.

And I do have my favorite which I would put up above anything on the market and no, I don't sell them commercially. ;)

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member

Predator uses a phenolic tip on their BK2 line that tests higher than any other phenolic tip I have tested for COR... I have only tested their tip and some custom phenolics on break and jump cues in my area.....

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you sure you want a plastic breaking tip? I found that while the speed can go up, you can't get the same control of the cue ball as you can with a regular hard leather tip.

I tried a few dedicated break cues and got the best break and control combination with just using a house cue.