Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
mini aside
mika was in my town 2 weeks ago
all we did was work on my stroke
he definitely believed that elbow drop to get thru the cue ball was good
i hope i understood correctly what he tried to show me
Did he explain how elbow drop helps "getting through the ball"?

pj
chgo

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mini aside
mika was in my town 2 weeks ago
all we did was work on my stroke
he definitely believed that elbow drop to get thru the cue ball was good
i hope i understood correctly what he tried to show me
Lucky you! I believe Mika has adopted quite a bit of Filipino influence into his game. I'm sure you got a great perspective from him on the concept of stroke. Some of that probably came from Efren himself.

Reactions: bbb

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
While one cannot discount Mika's legacy. I do wonder about using his current game as a model for 'how it should be done'. Success has not been Mika's friend the passed while.

Whether his current play that has a shoulder pivoting Filipino type stroke is the cause for his inconisstency, or an effort to remedy it..., I don't know.

Just saying it's odd to justify one side of the discussion on the sub par play of a well known individual. I could cite countless players at the top of their games that don't pivot their shoulders.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While one cannot discount Mika's legacy. I do wonder about using his current game as a model for 'how it should be done'. Success has not been Mika's friend the passed while.

Whether his current play that has a shoulder pivoting Filipino type stroke is the cause for his inconisstency, or an effort to remedy it..., I don't know.

Just saying it's odd to justify one side of the discussion on the sub par play of a well known individual. I could cite countless players at the top of their games that don't pivot their shoulders.
I think it's unfair and gossipy for you or anyone who doesn't know him to insinuate such a thing. For all you know, his priorities in life may have changed. His tremendous body of knowledge certainly didn't go away. My friend Gene Nagy put it best about how fickle people are when it comes to their opinions about the pros. When they're winning, they're everybody's idol and then when they're not winning, regardless of the reason, they're bums.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I think it's unfair and gossipy for you or anyone who doesn't know him to insinuate such a thing. For all you know, his priorities in life may have changed. His tremendous body of knowledge certainly didn't go away. My friend Gene Nagy put it best about how fickle people are when it comes to their opinions about the pros. When they're winning, they're everybody's idol and then when they're not winning, regardless of the reason, they're bums.
Try to put your personal feelings aside, and reread my comments objectively. If it needs explaining/repeating, I don't have any bais against Mika, and couldn't care less about anything other than results over the passed while. He may also have a bunion that hampering his prefered stance. Who the hell cares. The bottom line is, he is a professional who's results haven't been what they were in the past, so people within this discussion using him as a poster child for the way things should be done, might not be the best approach.

The biggest issue with forums are people waving a righteous finger at someone rather than practicing exactly what they preaching at the moment. Maybe you should stop trying to insinuate that I have some sort of axe to grind against pros. The only thing I may have insinuated was that I respect Mika's game (legacy), which is a positive opinion. What I said was, I did not know why he is currently using that type of stroke, which is a fact not opinion, and his results the past while have not been "friendly" which is a very nice way to not great. Not sure how more nicely I could have put it. Anything else construed is on you.

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try to put your personal feelings aside, and reread my comments objectively. If it needs explaining/repeating, I don't have any bais against Mika, and couldn't care less about anything other than results over the passed while. He may also have a bunion that hampering his prefered stance. Who the hell cares. The bottom line is, he is a professional who's results haven't been what they were in the past, so people within this discussion using him as a poster child for the way things should be done, might not be the best approach.

The biggest issue with forums are people waving a righteous finger at someone rather than practicing exactly what they preaching at the moment. Maybe you should stop trying to insinuate that I have some sort of axe to grind against pros. The only thing I may have insinuated was that I respect Mika's game (legacy), which is a positive opinion. What I said was, I did not know why he is currently using that type of stroke, which is a fact not opinion, and his results the past while have not been "friendly" which is a very nice way to not great. Not sure how more nicely I could have put it. Anything else construed is on you.
I said he spent a lot of time with the Filipinos and learned their way of playing and likely had some great info to pass along. What the heck is wrong with that? Do you seriously think you know enough to analyze his life by claiming the Filipino influence in his game was a negative thing? I will stand up against that kind of childish nonsense all day long. Why don't you post behind your own name instead of hiding? What are you afraid of? Judging by your posts, I see a lot of analysis but very little practical info from actual experience. Either you don't know how to express yourself or your practical experience is very little. I put my name behind every word I write, which means I think before I write. Posting anonymously makes people careless. Put your name behind your posts and then think before you type.

Last edited:

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While one cannot discount Mika's legacy. I do wonder about using his current game as a model for 'how it should be done'.
I’m the one who pointed at Mika as an example of someone who blatantly shoots without a frozen upper arm. There are tons of other example players like Ronnie O’Sullivan who could be the poster child for the technique. That was not the point or Frans point. The relaxed fluidity you find in Mika and the Filipino players, like Effren is compelling. Many European players have the upper arm drop extended under body follow that I showed with the old Joe Davis photo.
That upper arm drop is part of what clears the cue to pass under the body. It has to be a rotation at the shoulder joint. This seems to have become a “lets take sides“ discussion of right or wrong. There is no right or wrong, just different situations creating different challenges with different ways of addressing them. Pigeon holing is only restrictive. It’s time to take off the training wheels and constraints we use to take our initial steps in learning, reduction to the simplest. Adding complexity is how we move past modest beginnings. We are not out there doing masse shots the first day we play. Nor should we say that an elevated cue is bad and never learn to swerve or jump, because of the developed biases. Things like center ball bias will keep a multitude of players mired in mediocrity. Every position has its element of truth. Those truths are situational.

Fran just showed natural curiosity in what Mika might have shared with bbb that related to things he may have learned from Filipino players and was pounced on. Back off!!

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Ok so, I never addressed Fran in regards to Mika until she accused me of being some sort of Mika hater. Which I never did, so maybe Fran can move passed that. Maybe not, whatever. Not sure why you're piling on.

The conversation up until Fran decided to attack my character was about using shoulder rotation and it's use to control pace. You (Imac007) I guess mentioned Mika as an example of a fluid upper arm. I then pointed out that Mika's success has suffered in later years, and I was unaware of this more fluid arm movement may or may not be a cause of his decline in results, or a possible adaptation to correct something. One more time for the bleachers, I dont know. I thought branching the conversation into age and shoulder fatigue/deterioration would have interesting. Guess I was wrong on that one.

Now I have you two launching spit balls in my directon. If we can't continue the discussion because the Mika/Fran nut hugging to is distracting, well that's fine. However moving forward. When reading my posts, take them for what's writen and not subjective bais you normally default to.

Regards,
Jarrett Vibert

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok so, I never addressed Fran in regards to Mika until she accused me of being some sort of Mika hater. Which I never did, so maybe Fran can move passed that. Maybe not, whatever. Not sure why you're piling on.

The conversation up until Fran decided to attack my character was about using shoulder rotation and it's use to control pace. You (Imac007) I guess mentioned Mika as an example of a fluid upper arm. I then pointed out that Mika's success has suffered in later years, and I was unaware of this more fluid arm movement may or may not be a cause of his decline in results, or a possible adaptation to correct something. One more time for the bleachers, I dont know. I thought branching the conversation into age and shoulder fatigue/deterioration would have interesting. Guess I was wrong on that one.

Now I have you two launching spit balls in my directon. If we can't continue the discussion because the Mika/Fran nut hugging to is distracting, well that's fine. However moving forward. When reading my posts, take them for what's writen and not subjective bais you normally default to.

Regards,
Jarrett Vibert
2/6/21 appears to be beat up JV day. Can't join in cause I kinda like the guy. It could be due to me having no practical experience. As far as Mika goes or the nuances of his stroke goes or Filipino influence goes I seriously doubt it has anything to do with his games decline. Actually, nobody knows. I can guess but I'm not saying cause I don't want to get beat up too.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
As far as Mika goes or the nuances of his stroke goes or Filipino influence goes I seriously doubt it has anything to do with his games decline.
Well if Mika is anything like me..., I'm sure it has more to do with his eyes going to hell. Hopefully I won't get torched again for speculating on his eye sight....lol

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as Mika goes or the nuances of his stroke goes or Filipino influence goes I seriously doubt it has anything to do with his games decline. Actually, nobody knows.
I've openly wondered why some stars of the 2000s aren't competing as well as they did
mika is a prime example, I think..the guy is as smooth as silk and can run out like water
I did notice in a more recent match of his that he was winning, but getting a lot of rolls..
and then wondered if the technical proficiency of today's players had outpaced the past
there are always exceptions- straight pool guys playing spot shape, forever-young filipinos
maybe mika was better back then..maybe he had more patience and confidence
I'm going on about not a lot, but it is interesting to think about..
anyway, without comparing generations and players
I guess the table will get us all eventually

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do wonder about using his current game as a model for 'how it should be done'
Nobody claimed he was a model of how things should be done. He was an example of a pro without a frozen upper arm.
Just saying it's odd to justify one side of the discussion on the sub par play of a well known individual.
Nobody tried to justify anything based on Mika’s play. Sub par play that happened to keep pace with the highest rated American player of the last decade in the sample video, is that what you meant your message to mean? And when did this suddenly become a sides issue?

Rating communication from the standpoint of shared communication has some provisos. The communication that was received/interpreted is the effect of the message. The intent matters little if that isn’t the message experienced. Communicators should never complain about how their communication was interpreted. Acknowledge the wrong message was experienced, owning the interpretation. Then offer the same communication using different words, analogies or metaphors. The things I’ve highlighted are where we saw a message that was negative and responded to that.

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Nobody claimed he was a model of how things should be done. He was an example of a pro with a frozen upper arm.

Nobody tried to justify anything based on Mika’s play. Sub par play that happened to keep pace with the highest rated American player of the last decade in the sample video, is that what you meant your message to mean.

Rating communication from the standpoint of shared communication has some provisos. The communication that was received/interpreted is the effect of the message, never the intent of the message. communicators should never complain about how their communication was interpreted. Acknowledge the miscommunication, owning the interpretation. Then offer the same communication using different words, analogies or metaphors. The things I’ve highlighted are where we saw a message that was negative and responded to that.
I've quoted your post just so you'd get the notification. I have moved on... This melodrama is a shame. I was curious how the conversation could have gone if you and Fran did not assume the worst.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Gene Nagy, there is a name I haven't heard in a long time. Stand up Fellow.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
roger federer at the top of his game
asked tony roche to be his coach
it had nothing to do with how well tony played NOW
it was his knowledge and experience he wanted
you guys (jv ) are killing me to put down a guy for how he plays NOW
IF he is so bad now
i will back him at 1k a set at 9 or 10 ball against any of you. (jv):eek: :eek:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well if Mika is anything like me..., I'm sure it has more to do with his eyes going to hell. Hopefully I won't get torched again for speculating on his eye sight....lol
You better believe you're going to get torched. How many years must a player be at the top of his game to prevent you from criticizing him? 20? 25? 30?

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
.....Fran just showed natural curiosity in what Mika might have shared with bbb that related to things he may have learned from Filipino players and was pounced on. Back off!!
EXACTLY! Thank you. What a crappy, low-life type of response from that Junior Varsity person.

gerryf

It is an interesting question though, why do players deteriorate? Earl Strickland is still in the top 10 in the USA according to his Fargo rating. He knows more about the game than pretty much everyone. What specifically changed that he isn't competing for the top prizes anymore?

I remember an interview with a snooker player who was asked that question, and he said 'life comes along'. You have a marriage, kids, other interests, and you just don't practice as much as when you were young.

I've heard that Earl still practices a lot. Could Earl whose now approaching age 60 get back into peak competitive mode? What if he had a coach and worked at it?

Where are his deficiencies now?

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is an interesting question though, why do players deteriorate? Earl Strickland is still in the top 10 in the USA according to his Fargo rating. He knows more about the game than pretty much everyone. What specifically changed that he isn't competing for the top prizes anymore?

I remember an interview with a snooker player who was asked that question, and he said 'life comes along'. You have a marriage, kids, other interests, and you just don't practice as much as when you were young.

I've heard that Earl still practices a lot. Could Earl whose now approaching age 60 get back into peak competitive mode? What if he had a coach and worked at it?

Where are his deficiencies now?
Fine motor control skills (nerves) can become a problem. Think "yips" in golf. However, in my uneducated opinion the biggest thing is motivation. There is a big difference between being young and trying to claw your way to the top of the mountain vs trying to get back up on a mountain peak where you stood for 20 years.