Is this a dumb idea?

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve seen all the ball cleaning machines and they pretty much work on the same principle but ..

What if you took a cylinder, could be something as simple as 3 or 4 inch pvc pipe cut to around 20 inches, shorter for fewer balls, but 20 inches for maybe 8 balls. You would then maybe cut 8 holes in the top with a hole saw, or split the pipe in half lengthwise and hinge it so you could open the top. Inside you could line each half with a microfiber pad or carpet. They make 24” microfiber mop pads that are Velcro attached that can be cut to length.

You would then add 3 or 4 inch lined discs to make 8 compartments for the balls. You would then have pvc end caps with center holes for studs that would go into pillow blocks on a piece of plywood. You would then add the balls, spray them with a cleaner, close the top and spin it with a drill or get fancy and belt drive it with a small motor with variable speed dial.

The padding would be loose enough to hold the balls but actually spin around the balls on all sides , cheap setup .. dumb idea?

dquarasr

Registered
I like the idea. The use of a random orbit polisher in homemade ball polishers better randomizes the spin of the balls. I think that for your tube idea to work there would need to be enough slack room so you can roll the balls a little inside the tube laterally by tilting it left and right while also spinning.

Intriguing idea.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
"You would then maybe cut 8 holes in the top with a hole saw..."

What will prevent the balls from falling out of the holes?

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You’d have to have some kind of padded top for each hole that’s why I thought that maybe splitting it lengthwise with hinge would be better. I’m no engineer but thought I’d throw the idea out there so someone could take it and make it better

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I like the idea. The use of a random orbit polisher in homemade ball polishers better randomizes the spin of the balls. I think that for your tube idea to work there would need to be enough slack room so you can roll the balls a little inside the tube laterally by tilting it left and right while also spinning.

Intriguing idea.
I thought about that but if you have microfiber or fluffy carpet spinning around all surfaces of the ball there would be no reason to tilt it left or right to move the rotation of the ball like in the other machines

coolidge

Hmmm...two 8 ball round padded round ball holders...toss them on my dual drum rock tumbler overnight...✍️📐✏️

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmm...two 8 ball round padded round ball holders...toss them on my dual drum rock tumbler overnight...✍️📐✏️
Will a rock tumbler have enough speed? For overnight probably, but if you had more speed could probably clean 8 balls in a few minutes, spend next to nothing for the setup, and do a better job than some of the super expensive machines. I just don’t have the skills to put it together

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you seen the new Clean Gleam machine? It is somewhat similar to what you are describing (not exactly...).

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you seen the new Clean Gleam machine? It is somewhat similar to what you are describing (not exactly...).
I’ve seen it, looks nice. I was just wondering if something cold be setup on the cheap that does a great job. With the ball being contacted everywhere at once the ball would be rotating all over while the padding, rotating faster than the ball, would be cleaning it

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe just glue the caps on each end of the pipe then cut a rectangular piece tall enough to accept the balls and long enough to end one inch from the end caps on each end. You could then hinge this smaller cutout. There would be enough room to add the padding and then add the padded discs to separate the balls like those 3 or 4 inch buffing pads that you use on your drill.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could use a round piece of plywood small enough to fit inside each end cap for strength then drill a hole through the center of end cap and plywood.Then add a half threaded stud with threads long enough to add a nut on the inside and outside of end cap.The non threaded ends of studs could go into pillow blocks. Cut the rectangular opening, add padding, and I wouldn’t even need to hinge the small rectangular cutout just add the padding in the cutout, put the piece I cutout over the padding and add a hose clamp on each end and the middle. That would work till I came up with a better way