Is This a Gold Crown?

canadafred

Hi everyone. I'm looking at an older Brunswick table that I might buy. I'm trying to figure out if this is a Gold Crown or not. The pictures that I have aren't that great - sorry for that. They're all the advertiser has. I have owned 2 different GC's in the past and this one looks like them in most ways, but has some significant differences. As far as I know, Brunswick never made a table that was nearly identical to a GC so I'm thinking this may just be a different version? The apron is not a solid color - it is a strange pattern of squiggly marks. The plastic skirt underneath is also a strange pattern of similar marks. The table has no ball return, no ball box, and perhaps most notably no score counters built into the rail. Any help will be much appreciated!

Attachments

• pool table 1.JPG
    pool table 1.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 291
  • pool table 2.JPG
    pool table 2.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 300
  • pool table 3.JPG
    pool table 3.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 291
  • pool table 5.JPG
    pool table 5.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 278
  • pool table 6.JPG
    pool table 6.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 282
  • pool table 7.JPG
    pool table 7.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 287

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes it’s a Gold Crown. I think the blinds have been custom painted. As far as no ball box, not sure but thought all had a ball box, no matter whether it’s drop pocket, or ball return. My guess is that it’s been modified, maybe parts from different versions of GCs. Mostly a GC I though.

canadafred

Yes it’s a Gold Crown. I think the blinds have been custom painted. As far as no ball box, not sure but thought all had a ball box, no matter whether it’s drop pocket, or ball return. My guess is that it’s been modified, maybe parts from different versions of GCs. Mostly a GC I though.
Thanks for the feedback. What is telling you that it's a GC I vs 2 ?The paint job on the apron and blinds is super ugly. The paint job does look professionally done though - it is very consistent.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not a mechanic: That is a weird one. Does look like a GC in many ways. But there is no score counter on the end rail. All GC1, 2, 3 had that as far as I know. The formica wood grain pattern on the top of the rails also looks off. I'm voting its not a GC.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was another table that was very similar to the GC, I can't recall the name. But the long rails were one piece. They were not broken up by the side pocket like a GC is, and like this table is.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the feedback. What is telling you that it's a GC I vs 2 ?The paint job on the apron and blinds is super ugly. The paint job does look professionally done though - it is very consistent.
The pedestals, stretcher, and blinds with the plastic aprons says GC I, but still trying figure out the top half. Iusedtoberich might be right though, the rails without counters and ball box are kind of a mystery. At first I thought someone took the end rail and blind from another table and installed on this table to delete the ball box and counters.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was another table that was very similar to the GC, I can't recall the name. But the long rails were one piece. They were not broken up by the side pocket like a GC is, and like this table is.
I was trying to think of it as well...and I finally remembered that it’s the Medalist, but like you said, this table has the side pocket castings, the new modern Medalist didn’t.

canadafred

Yeah I thought the formica pattern was a little different, but from my experience, they are all a little different. I also have never seen a GC without the scorecounter but I'm not aware of another Brunswick table that is so similar to the GC that it becomes confusing. The Medalists I've seen are quite different. I'm liking the theory of someone having swapped out the ball box end & score counter to another table, leaving this particular one destined to the island of misfit toys.

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like a Gold Crown turned into customized Frankentable. My impression it was pieced together from spare parts.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
If the formica on the rails (or maybe just the foot rail) was replaced they could have eliminated the score keepers by just not cutting the holes for them in the new material.

Sent from the future.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It could of been a special order GC for military/university rec centers...without a ball box and counter it would of been the cheapest version available.

canadafred

It could of been a special order GC for military/university rec centers...without a ball box and counter it would of been the cheapest version available.
Interesting that you say that. I'm reasonably sure that the university I went to had all GC's and they definitely didn't have ball boxes. I would have remembered that - they're so awesome looking. The problem is that I graduated in '86 (very long time ago) and didn't play pool at the time. Is this just a guess on your part? or are you aware of GC's made without the ball boxes & counters?

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting that you say that. I'm reasonably sure that the university I went to had all GC's and they definitely didn't have ball boxes. I would have remembered that - they're so awesome looking. The problem is that I graduated in '86 (very long time ago) and didn't play pool at the time. Is this just a guess on your part? or are you aware of GC's made without the ball boxes & counters?
I’m just guessing. I’m not aware of GCs being produced like that. It’s not a bad option though for those that just want the basics, with no frills.