Is this a good deal?

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
crawdaddio said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7150144123

I don't know what Skip's prices are like, but it looks like a helluva deal!
What do you guys think?

~DC
I watched that one and didn't bid, because I didn't know what a good price for a Skip was. The other thing about this one is shown in the closeup pics of the points. Everyone on the forums talks about how tight Skip's veneers are. But, I would swear that those pics show recut points. The grain appears to continue on the "veneers" like they were single pieces of wood at one time.

Don't get me wrong. I am not criticizing recut points. I'm just curious if Skip does that sometimes. Anyone know? Thanks.
Scott

Rackin_Zack

Suffering from OCBD
Silver Member
ScottR said:
I watched that one and didn't bid, because I didn't know what a good price for a Skip was. The other thing about this one is shown in the closeup pics of the points. Everyone on the forums talks about how tight Skip's veneers are. But, I would swear that those pics show recut points. The grain appears to continue on the "veneers" like they were single pieces of wood at one time.

Don't get me wrong. I am not criticizing recut points. I'm just curious if Skip does that sometimes. Anyone know? Thanks.
Scott

Scott,

Skip's points look like they're recuts, but they're actually hardwood veneers. Skip has a proprietary way of doing veneers so there's no glue line at the top and since they're hardwoods you can see the grain. Skip's points have ruined me for life for most all other cuemakers...lol. Here's a couple of examples of cues I own:

forearm.JPG

BurlForearm03_Small.jpg

BurlForearm02_Small.jpg

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rackin_Zack said:
Scott,

Skip's points look like they're recuts, but they're actually hardwood veneers. Skip has a proprietary way of doing veneers so there's no glue line at the top and since they're hardwoods you can see the grain. Skip's points have ruined me for life for most all other cuemakers...lol. Here's a couple of examples of cues I own:
Bee-yoo-tee-full cues!!! Not trying to argue or say it's not true, but by definition veneers are thin slices of wood. Granted I'm just an amateur woodworker, and Skip obviously has this down to a science, but I don't see any way to get the grain to line up (not to mention the curly maple pattern on your cue!!!) like that with veneers. I am amazed that he can do that! :confused:

Rackin_Zack

Suffering from OCBD
Silver Member
ScottR said:
Bee-yoo-tee-full cues!!! Not trying to argue or say it's not true, but by definition veneers are thin slices of wood. Granted I'm just an amateur woodworker, and Skip obviously has this down to a science, but I don't see any way to get the grain to line up (not to mention the curly maple pattern on your cue!!!) like that with veneers. I am amazed that he can do that! :confused:

I guess they technically aren't veneers since they aren't dyed sycamore, but they aren't recuts either. That's why most people, when refering to Skip's cues, use the term "hardwood veneer". What ever he's doing, I like it a lot...lol.

crawdaddio

Used and registered
Silver Member
Sweet lookin' cues RZ. I really like his work. So that one on ebay is pretty close to retail, huh? Do you know what his wait is like?

Thanks
~DC

Rackin_Zack

Suffering from OCBD
Silver Member
crawdaddio said:
Sweet lookin' cues RZ. I really like his work. So that one on ebay is pretty close to retail, huh? Do you know what his wait is like?

Thanks
~DC

DC, I waited about six months for my first cue and was quoted about the same for the cue he's working on for me now. Skip is certainly one of the best values in cues right now, imo.

crawdaddio

Used and registered
Silver Member
Rackin_Zack said:
DC, I waited about six months for my first cue and was quoted about the same for the cue he's working on for me now. Skip is certainly one of the best values in cues right now, imo.

Could you describe how the cues play a little bit? Soft hit? Hard? Somewhere in the middle? Compare to any other cuemakers? I'm lookin' at getting one, and any info is appreciated, especially from someone like yourself who has a couple and seems to like 'em.

Thanks again
~DC

Rackin_Zack

Suffering from OCBD
Silver Member
crawdaddio said:
Could you describe how the cues play a little bit? Soft hit? Hard? Somewhere in the middle? Compare to any other cuemakers? I'm lookin' at getting one, and any info is appreciated, especially from someone like yourself who has a couple and seems to like 'em.

Thanks again
~DC

I'm horrible at describing how cues play, but I'll give it a shot. I think both cues play great. The ebony with linen joint hits reasonably hard and the purple heart hits similarly but a little softer. I love the feedback that I get from the cues. The "tone" of the hit is very pleasant. The cues are balanced very well and slightly to the front. Other than that I wouldn't know how else to describe the hit of a cue. If you have any specific questions I may be able to elaborate.

I've played with DPs, some Gilberts, a few Bludworths, and Hueblers to name a few and I like my Weston's the best, with the Gilbert being a close second! I would have to say that Skip Weston and Andy Gilbert are my two favorite cuemakers, that I can afford...lol.

crawdaddio

Used and registered
Silver Member
Rackin_Zack said:
I'm horrible at describing how cues play, but I'll give it a shot. I think both cues play great. The ebony with linen joint hits reasonably hard and the purple heart hits similarly but a little softer. I love the feedback that I get from the cues. The "tone" of the hit is very pleasant. The cues are balanced very well and slightly to the front. Other than that I wouldn't know how else to describe the hit of a cue. If you have any specific questions I may be able to elaborate.

I've played with DPs, some Gilberts, a few Bludworths, and Hueblers to name a few and I like my Weston's the best, with the Gilbert being a close second! I would have to say that Skip Weston and Andy Gilbert are my two favorite cuemakers, that I can afford...lol.

Thanks for the effort, I'll let you know how I like mine.

~DC