Items taken to the pool hall getting weird.

sbrownn

Registered
Was that Quackenbush? Or Galloway? Guessing the hall was Luckeys, they still have those crappy lights.
I think it was Galloway (always played with a hat on). Yes, I did the sunday tournaments at Lucky's sometimes. Also played with Rosenbarry (sp?) and his friends plus sometimes that Commander guy (always wanted to play for a $1) at the Cooler. The hall I was talking about had 9 footers and was owned by a black guy / player...

jollyrodger

#1 Troublemaker
Silver Member
Just as you are seemingly appalled by this, there are those that are appalled by those that play in leagues on bar boxes and consider that to be pool. Everyone’s different

I didn’t say appalled. I find it interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More than I should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cool - I was just asking because lots of people here carry balls, Delta Racks or majic racks because the equipment is so poor and nobody wants their Money going up in smoke on a loose rack.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I once saw a woman use a sex toy (in the package) to mark a pocket. For some reason one of the local bars had a claw machine that had them as a prize. It got lots of laughs, but technically she didn't bring it to the hall. 😅

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
eugene , springfield were two towns next to each other . the action in the 70,s was at the springfield tavern. and the golden canary(dirty bird bar)
fitz and bob burke were the best players and an asian kid i forgot his name.
they didn't really gamble much. but the card players were action for anything.

i remember i played a guy from portland, fat ralph. who came down to play me and i toyed with him for 13 hours before he went broke spotting me the 8 ball for 50 a game. and duke form eugene sat there and watched for the whole time.
after i beat the guy virtually winning almost every game,

i figured i lost my action with duke after that. as he was next on my list of who to beat before i got to the best players that gambled. but he immediately said "ill give you the same game".

funny part he played worse than the other guy. and another 12 or 13 hours later he fell to the same fate.
then i went to bed.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
I think it was Galloway (always played with a hat on). Yes, I did the sunday tournaments at Lucky's sometimes. Also played with Rosenbarry (sp?) and his friends plus sometimes that Commander guy (always wanted to play for a $1) at the Cooler. The hall I was talking about had 9 footers and was owned by a black guy / player...
Ed's pool hall in Springfield. Galloway played there a lot. Rosenberry was top dog around here for many years. I learned how to play pool at Ed's.

Tadaimarlon

There is one guy who plays league night the same night I do. I call him Batman because he always shows up with ALL the gadgets. I’m talking magic rack, his own pool balls, a delta 13 rack two cue cases with 3 cues and a jump cue. Also he carries 3 cell phones and wears earbuds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I knew someone like that many years ago. He always came with all the accessories you can imagine, almost everything from Predator, he wore very tight pants and ruffled shirts, even though he wasn't the thinnest, he wore glasses like Earl Strickland and always acted like an absolute baller.

Apart from his pool hall persona I knew nothing about him, he could barely pocket 3 balls in a row and I thought he was compensating with his style.

One day I went grocery shopping with my father at a grocery store we don't normally go to and there he was stocking the shelves. He saw us and dropped everything and ran into the back like a madman and never came out.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand bringing a pool cue. But folks are now bring racks, and their own set of billiard balls. What’s next ? Hold on my table is getting delivered. I only use a magic table. Any justification or is it all psychological?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have seen a guy bring in a bucket with a cone of hand powder in it. A rack and balls is fairly normal if places don't take care of their equipment. I have been in quite a few so-called "pool halls" where the ball sets were mixed up of 2 or even 3 different sets, were chipped, dirty, etc..

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
I'm curious as well. I would be glad to use a set that was taken care of over the abused pool hall set.
Well if I go to the Red Shoes. It’s dark in there, the tables are well lit, and the centennials are always polished. I’d much rather play with a beat up set there. The glossy balls and lighting messes with my astigmatism slightly. I can’t always tell if the top 3 are touching when the 1 is in front.

And also I won’t play with a balls the wrong color either if given a choice. Plus the measles ball plays a bit heavier.

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i am not letting anyone use their own balls, rack, etc against me.
if you playing in a pool league and it’s an away match you don’t have a choice. That’s the home team advantage lol why would it matter?

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
if your opponent brings his own things like balls,rack etc. it means he is better playing with them and has more confidence in it.
plus he is more accustomed to his own balls. why let him have that edge? why not let him be uncomfortable playing with the house balls and rack.

i am talking playing for money or something that means something not a sociable no money league.

briclops

I went to a pool hall 6 months ago and the set of balls that were provided to me had at least 3 different ball sets mixed up in it, and some of the balls had parts of the numbers missing the filling out of them. Some of the balls were also discolored. I’m bringing my own balls if I go there again, but not my best set in case there is something in the pockets damaging their balls.

loggerhead12

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I understand bringing a pool cue. But folks are now bring racks, and their own set of billiard balls. What’s next ? Hold on my table is getting delivered. I only use a magic table. Any justification or is it all psychological?

If you don't like your expensive cue hitting the floor you need your own Q Claw on league nights.