I read and hear all these posts about forearm wood amd joint pins and wraps, etc......
but I gotta tell you, it's all about the shaft baby.
My Ebony Coker is at Tom's getting the forearm refinished and I haven't had it for a couple of weeks. And yes I miss it because I truely love the looks of it.
But in the meantime I have had to play my twice weekly pool in the APA so I have been using a "warped" sneaky butt with my new shaft that Varney made for me.
I only had the new shaft one week to use with the Coker and then sent the butt off. It is taking longer than expected to get it back. So instead of using a house cue I thought I would just use the new shaft on my Sneaky butt to play with, The warped sneaky butt I use for breaking has a break tip on the shaft that came with it.....Mr. Varney put his break tip on that shaft.
So I have been screwing on the break shaft for breaking and then screwing on the new Varney shaft to play with.
Believe me this butt is cheap and for sure warped but I have had no problems so far. My gane has not suffered one little bit. The look of playing with that ugly warped butt is not pretty but as far as playing, no down grade in the play of my game.
Now I know it's not the shaft alone, it's the tip and ferrule also......but this brings me to my point.
The next time, and from now on, when I see posts from people wanting a good starter cue or wanting to know how to get a good cue for less money. my advice will be find a cheap cue with the joint you want (wood to wood, SS, etc) and then buy a good shaft for it, a Tiger-X, an OB-1, or better yet have Varney or another cue maker make you one for it.....than go out and kick some butt..........

but I gotta tell you, it's all about the shaft baby.
My Ebony Coker is at Tom's getting the forearm refinished and I haven't had it for a couple of weeks. And yes I miss it because I truely love the looks of it.
But in the meantime I have had to play my twice weekly pool in the APA so I have been using a "warped" sneaky butt with my new shaft that Varney made for me.
I only had the new shaft one week to use with the Coker and then sent the butt off. It is taking longer than expected to get it back. So instead of using a house cue I thought I would just use the new shaft on my Sneaky butt to play with, The warped sneaky butt I use for breaking has a break tip on the shaft that came with it.....Mr. Varney put his break tip on that shaft.
So I have been screwing on the break shaft for breaking and then screwing on the new Varney shaft to play with.
Believe me this butt is cheap and for sure warped but I have had no problems so far. My gane has not suffered one little bit. The look of playing with that ugly warped butt is not pretty but as far as playing, no down grade in the play of my game.
Now I know it's not the shaft alone, it's the tip and ferrule also......but this brings me to my point.
The next time, and from now on, when I see posts from people wanting a good starter cue or wanting to know how to get a good cue for less money. my advice will be find a cheap cue with the joint you want (wood to wood, SS, etc) and then buy a good shaft for it, a Tiger-X, an OB-1, or better yet have Varney or another cue maker make you one for it.....than go out and kick some butt..........
Last edited: