Ivory Care

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member
In the last year or so, I have acquired several cues with ivory butt caps, joints, and ferrules. I was once told that ivory ferrules need special care (baby oil, I think he said).

Is this true? Do you need to do something to care for ivory ferrules? What about the end of the joint, where it isn't finished?

Thanks, gentlemen.

Howard

SK Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't go extreme with the temperatures especially rapid temperature change. If you want to know about ivory, David Warther is the man to ask.

BLACKHEARTCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the last year or so, I have acquired several cues with ivory butt caps, joints, and ferrules. I was once told that ivory ferrules need special care (baby oil, I think he said).

Is this true? Do you need to do something to care for ivory ferrules? What about the end of the joint, where it isn't finished?

Thanks, gentlemen.

Howard

I've had Ivory ferrules on all of my cues, for the past 25 years. I've never done anything to them...JER

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For ferrules there is not much to do. For joints a little baby oil on the face might help keep it from cracking, but a good set of joint protectors is probably all you need. Don't keep Ivory cues on a rack that gets direct sunlight. That can cause Ivory to crack faster than just about anything. Also don't hit the balls very hard at all if the cue gets cold. It is best to try and keep the Ivory cues at room temperatures.

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member
Thanks for the responses.

I've always taken care of ivory ferrules the same as others and have had no trouble. But with all of you guys here, it seemed like a good time to make sure I was okay.

Thanks again.
Howard