Ivory

The Kurly One

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where do you cuemakers find your ivory? Piano keys? If so is it usable? I found a piano with all but one ivory key, what is a good price for something like that?

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
The ivory on piano keys is very thin, and not suitable for much in cues.
I get my ivory from David Warther. He's IT when it comes to Ivory. You might find cheaper prices elsewhere, but the consistent quality and unmatched knowledge you get from David is enough for me to not even bother looking elsewhere.

RFisher

FISHER CUES
Silver Member
Sheldon said:
The ivory on piano keys is very thin, and not suitable for much in cues.
I get my ivory from David Warther. He's IT when it comes to Ivory. You might find cheaper prices elsewhere, but the consistent quality and unmatched knowledge you get from David is enough for me to not even bother looking elsewhere.

TAP TAP..

The problem with piano keys is that they would be good for ringwork, but the thickness is very inconsistant, and you need the right equipment to make them all the same.

Bryan<<<<<<<<has piano keys coming out his:kma:

BLACKHEARTCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ivory from elephant tusks is running about $200-$250 per pound. I recently bought a 15 pound tusk at an estate auction, for $600. It was a steel...JER

The Kurly One

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see, I was under the impression that these were solid ivory due to the age of the piano, ( 1880's). Oh well...