J&J Cue Black Arrow Carbon Fiber Shaft

billiardsking

Registered
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker.

Just got a J&J Black Arrow carbon shaft. Haven't chalked it yet, but am wondering if anyone knows how it compares to the other carbons out there?

Contemplating on whether I want to keep it or just go with a Cynergy.

Thanks, and please be gentle on my first post. :)

Marky Mark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have not heard of the J&J carbon shaft but I will go with the Cynergy since it is proven with lots of great feedback from all types of players.

billiardsking

Registered
It $120 cheaper, though. :-/

If anyone that played a Revo/Cynergy/Jacoby and is in North Jersey, I'm happy to let you try it out for your perspective. If you happen to have a carbon I can try as well that would be great.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The J&J shaft could be a game changer IF its any good. I think that the current $500-range shafts are priced too high. This could force their hands if the Arrow sells big. Time will tell.

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The J&J shaft could be a game changer IF its any good. I think that the current $500-range shafts are priced too high. This could force their hands if the Arrow sells big. Time will tell. For150bux a lot of players will try one.

Actually it’s 4 to 5 hundred and it won’t change anything. J and j does not have the name and influence predator and Mezz do so they have to be cheaper.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually it’s 4 to 5 hundred and it won’t change anything. J and j does not have the name and influence predator and Mezz do so they have to be cheaper.
My bad on the price. I don't know where the heck i got that price from. I still think that somewhere in the $250-300 range should be tops for cf shafts. Once there's enough builders and the pipeline is flowing prices will drop.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

From my inside outside sources, the people making the Arrow have been

around the business for thirty plus years. Might even be the same as Mezz.

Going to be interesting to see where the prices will go in another year.

My prediction is around $250 for a used, like new carbon fiber shaft since they

last forever. :lol:

Last edited:

Marky Mark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It $120 cheaper, though. :-/

If anyone that played a Revo/Cynergy/Jacoby and is in North Jersey, I'm happy to let you try it out for your perspective. If you happen to have a carbon I can try as well that would be great.

J&J has it listed for $419...if you got much less than that then it might be a bargain depending on what the shaft offers in terms of performance and more so what you are looking for in a carbon shaft. If price is the main determinant in your decision-making and not performance; assuming that it will not outperform a Revo, cynergy or Ignite, then this shaft is most likely what you will be happy with.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I fully agree. Predator marketing showed people are willing to pay up to $600 for a shaft, and that's why everyone is jumping on the bandwagon.

I think this would do well. It appears to me J&J have a track record of offering quality cues at affordable prices.

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I fully agree. Predator marketing showed people are willing to pay up to $600 for a shaft, and that's why everyone is jumping on the bandwagon.

I think this would do well. It appears to me J&J have a track record of offering quality cues at affordable prices.

Some People say it’s to expensive but in the business world if people are willing to pay the price then it’s not to much. The market sets the price.

billiardsking

Registered

My bad on the price. I don't know where the heck i got that price from. I still think that somewhere in the $250-300 range should be tops for cf shafts. Once there's enough builders and the pipeline is flowing prices will drop.

J&J has it listed for $419...if you got much less than that then it might be a bargain depending on what the shaft offers in terms of performance and more so what you are looking for in a carbon shaft. If price is the main determinant in your decision-making and not performance; assuming that it will not outperform a Revo, cynergy or Ignite, then this shaft is most likely what you will be happy with.

The $419 is retail, you can get it for $349, maybe less.

I'm gonna try it out tonight. Unfortunately I don't have anything to compare it to since I haven't used other carbons yet.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Market leaders set the price. All others follow. These guys don't mind selling $0.40 worth of syrup for $6.00 while others are charging $2.00. This comes from a guy with a $20.00 a day habit (might even be higher). I could take up smoking and save money.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 1,169

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The prices won't come down. Look at laminated wood low deflection shafts. Since Predator introduced them in about 1994, their own price has gone up slightly every year since.

Competitors have followed suit. They are slightly lower, but have risen themselves at about the same pace.

I actually think its good for our game that at shafts are this expensive and flying off the shelf. That means more money is coming into the game.

IMO:)

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member

From my inside outside sources, the people making the Arrow have been

around the business for thirty plus years. Might even be the same as Mezz.

Going to be interesting to see where the prices will go in another year.

My prediction is around $250 for a used, like new carbon fiber shaft since they

last forever. :lol:

How reliable is your inside outside source? They look quite similar to the Ignite.

Ty Arnold

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think iusedtoberich is right. Is shows something good that this many people are spending so much more on pool gear these days. More money going in might help over time with the big companies supporting tournaments and other areas of pool.

billiardsking

Registered
Got to shoot with it for a bit, but not too long (bar, 3 games).

FWIW, this was a stock Navigator tip, 5/16x18 piloted. I did not read too many reviews of other carbons.

I did not have my case with me, so no glove and I had to use master chalk. Curious as to what it feels like with a Kamui SS tip. Might give that a try after a while.

For background, I am ranked a 7/10 in the UPA pool league, and have been playing for about 25 years. I previously shot with a Black Dot shaft, 12.75mm (don't recall the tip - it's been a while). In the past few months, went to a Viking eXactshot w/ Kamui Clear SS tip.

On to the shaft...

Doesn't have that 'tinny' feel/sound that I've read about other carbons (Revo, IIRC).

Got good cue control with it. I had to adjust a bit as I was initially over-compensating for deflection.

Smooth enough that I didn't need a glove (I usually use a glove - clammy hands), but didn't feel as smooth as a new wood shaft, although my guess is that would be true of all carbons.

I think I felt less feedback from my shots. Definitely felt stiffer, for lack of a better term.

Again, anyone in Northern NJ that wants to try it out and give a comparative review is more than welcome to.