Jeff Olney plus Joint Protectors

Scherf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alright, I have a question. I've had my Olney player for about year and I had Jim Baxter make me a real nice set of custom matching joint protectors. But as anyone who owns an Olney knows, the butt and shaft fit extremely tight together. Therefore, in fear of "loosening" the threads in the shaft, I never use my jps in the shafts. I know many on this forum don't exactly believe in jps to begin with, but my question is, is there really any validity in my fear that my jps will "screw up" my shafts by basically doubleing the number of times a pin is screwed into them?

Thanks for all your nice and polite responces....lol

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmm, how tight are those joint protectors? Jeff uses a 3/8x10 pin that has a smaller minor diameter than some other 3/8x10 pins I believe...so if your jp has a larger minor diameter and they don't thread in smooth than I wouldn't use them.

I have an Olney as well and Jeff makes his own delrin joint protectors that fit absolutely perfectly. My shaft one is only a few thread deep so it doesn't engage the full length which would limit any added wear to only the first portion of the threads, but they also thread in so nicely that I can't imagine it's causing any appreciable wear that would do harm even in the long term.

If your joint protectors aren't a great fit I would contact Jeff and get some of his. If they are a good fit and thread in nicely then I wouldn't worry about it, I've had my Olney since '09 and it's still a nice snug fit threading it together.

I actually just sent my cue off to Jeff to get a second shaft made for it and I'm missing it already, love that cue!

Scherf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, the jps fit in everybit as tight as the butt, so, I haven't used them. I'll have to see if I can get ahold of Jeff for some of his protectors. Thanks.