Jersey Red vs. Wimpy.......................

VarmintKong

Cannonball comin’!
Dang, what a crummy time to break for coverage of motocross racing! Wanted to see how the safety exchange would play out.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These old matches are really cool. Breit sort of cues like Filler (stance and alignment), or I suppose it would be the other way around.

The old legends sure could have long careers. I think that's possibly because the potting demands weren't as high then as they are now.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These old matches are really cool. Breit sort of cues like Filler (stance and alignment), or I suppose it would be the other way around.

The old legends sure could have long careers. I think that's possibly because the potting demands weren't as high then as they are now.
They played a long time 'cause they were usually broke. Sad but true. They would have played great on any size pockets.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old WWoS match:
What an amazing nostalgia find, GC!

Giving many thanks on this eve of Thanksgiving.

Arnaldo
Red hearts and smilies.JPG

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
red's last name was really breitkoff. he like many players used something different either to shorten their names as many were immigrants or came from immigrant families whose name got shortened.
he was probaly the best one pocket player ever on the 5 by 10.

but pool players didnt want to use their real name in tournaments to confuse the irs.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm inclined to think that someone, somewhere has a large collection of these WWoS videos.

Does anyone have any hunches (or knowledge) about such an individual, or insights about how to track down the collector or whomever may have inherited the videos? Sometimes these gems are just unknowingly gathering dust in a relative's attic, garage, or basement never to be seen again.

A wide range of precious, historic WWoS billiards footage could also be in ABC network archives/vaults with copies available for purchase. Those copies might be extortively priced, I'm guessing. Have to research this option further.

Arnaldo
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nick Varner and me holding Luther "Wimpy" Lassiter"s H.O.F. plaque. Quite possibly the greatest all around American player. I enjoyed all the time I was fortunate to have spent around Wimpy as a teenager. I learned so much from Wimpy & Nick and I'm so grateful that Nick is still with us.The Family gave me his plaque and it's the 1st time it has been seen publically since 1983. Everybody at this years H.O.F. banquet loved seeing Wimpy's plaque and taking pictures with it.I 1st met Wimpy in the summer of 1980 at the age of 11 years and he showed me some straight pool.
Screenshot_20221125-153856_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great thread! Thanks for posting! WWOS brings back great memories for me. I would have never guessed this to be 1969 though. I was curious about a few things regarding this match and I googled it, and it took me back to an earlier AZBilliards post, all roads seem to run back to this forum, as always Bob Jewitt and Jay Helfert add so much to this forum. Thanks guys!
Here is the other thread from a couple of years ago. Luther wins it by the way!