John L. Edwards: Life's A Gamble

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John L. Edwards: Life's A Gamble from Bowling Green, KY

Life was a struggle for most people in the early 30’s and John Edwards Sr. was no exception. He labored daily in the axe handle factory off Main street to feed and clothe his family. Then one day, as the family tale goes, he slammed down an axe handle and declared “I will never work for another man again!” Thus began a lifestyle that would continue for generations in the Edward’s family.

By the end of the decade, Edwards had built what one builder claimed was the nicest house in the state and owned most of the land along Louisville Road - all financed through gambling. Grandson Jerry Edwards claims that his grandfather was the largest bookie in Kentucky and the wealth he accumulated from his headquarters at the little roadhouse on Beech Bend Road was so enormous that the home he built for his family was constructed around a safe. His son, John L. Edwards, was groomed to follow in his footsteps and after his death took over the family tradition, building a life around booze, women and gambling.

Read More https://www.bgamplifier.com/lifesty...cle_09c3c429-f8ea-598d-9cd5-53268656705c.html

Another article https://www.bgdailynews.com/pool-sharks/article_52f3ffc7-eb0d-5423-9d1b-0227e8f77d1b.html

Anyone got their story on Edwards?

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I knew Johnny Edwards and he looked like a schoolteacher with thick lensed glasses and a nicely pressed suit. Meanwhle he was the best player in Kentucky for a long, long time. He ran around with another well known hustler named Bill Mullen. Bill acted like a promoter or gamemaker for Johnny, who was actually a pretty reserved and quiet man. First time I saw him play at JC, I was surprised that this nerdy looking guy could play so good. I think he was a regular at JC just about every year.

I just read the story above about him. Very cool story and I learned more about a man I barely knew. I was just a punk kid back then and knew to keep my mouth shut. I never said a word to the man.

Last edited: