John Schmidt has beaten Mosconi

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John has single-handedly brought straight pool into circles of conversation and the minds of men that play this game around the world like none other. From forums to neighborhood social circle game days and even the weekly senior center tournaments according to my friend Tony

We’re seeing guys hunting for the videos and records we speak of here in this thread to get a glimpse of something none of us will be able to witness in person. It get folks looking and verifying facts and searching for proof. And THIS is where the magic happens - the quest for treasures of knowledge that morph into action - from writing articles and books to racking your favorite ball set, setting up the myriad break shots that John had during any of his amazing runs - trying to record our own high runs at the great 14.1

John has humbled us all, I think - and in the meantime, shown us what is possible. He has inspired most of us and motivated many of us to pursue our best. Today and into tomorrow. And the next day.

As most of us are, I’m really looking forward to having a piece of this history on dvd / hard drive to keep learning the game and pursuing my best on the baize - not just in solo play attempts, but match play amongst friends - referring many times to the six-two-six and what John Schmidt gave us.....new and renewed passion.

Great, great achievement, JS. Thank you for the inspiration.

~ K.

Tap, tap, tap....

Great post, friend. :clapping:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John has single-handedly brought straight pool into circles of conversation and the minds of men that play this game around the world like none other. From forums to neighborhood social circle game days and even the weekly senior center tournaments according to my friend Tony

We’re seeing guys hunting for the videos and records we speak of here in this thread to get a glimpse of something none of us will be able to witness in person. It get folks looking and verifying facts and searching for proof. And THIS is where the magic happens - the quest for treasures of knowledge that morph into action - from writing articles and books to racking your favorite ball set, setting up the myriad break shots that John had during any of his amazing runs - trying to record our own high runs at the great 14.1

John has humbled us all, I think - and in the meantime, shown us what is possible. He has inspired most of us and motivated many of us to pursue our best. Today and into tomorrow. And the next day.

As most of us are, I’m really looking forward to having a piece of this history on dvd / hard drive to keep learning the game and pursuing my best on the baize - not just in solo play attempts, but match play amongst friends - referring many times to the six-two-six and what John Schmidt gave us.....new and renewed passion.

Great, great achievement, JS. Thank you for the inspiration.

~ K.

I second the:

TAP TAP TAP!!!

Simple, straight to the point and Nondebatabley correct!

Great post sir!

JL in ATL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very Well Said

After reading this whole thread, I like this post the most. If anyone here follows John on Facebook and saw the set of HUMONGOUS run numbers during each scheduled attempt, no one would think he was a dog to AAAAAAANYONE in the history of 14.1. I'm not saying Mosconi couldn't beat him or that others such as Thorsten and a few others can't beat him. I'm merely saying no one in history is an odds favorite over him in his current punch. No one.

No one.

I love reading all the Mosconi nuthuggers who I won't name....

".... Yeah, but... Mosconi quit on X ball runs..."

So WHAT. That's meaningless unless you're a fanboy. All it means ever is he ran X that time. Nothing more. In fact, every time he ran 200 on a real 9ft table with 4.5" pockets and wanted to quit, I'd bet him 5000 he wouldn't run to 400. If Spidey could go back in time, A) Mosconi would never take the bet and B) if he did, he'd be broke in a few exhibitions because stats and math matter... A lot. That's why that argument is mindless. Ifs ands and buts mean zero and tall tales mean zero.

What you don't hear a lot about is how Mosconi used to biatch and moan every time he missed early, often blaming the cloth, balls, lights whatever. He had a prima donna attitude. Hal used to tell me how the players at Cochrans never used to let him sit on the bench...not because they hated his ability, but because they hated his princess attitude. So all this talk about how he'd run a gazillion if he didn't quit is baloney. If he could have, he would have... He couldn't, which is why he didnt.

Moving on to table size. On a 5"+ pocketed table, the easiest table is a 7'er, 8'er is 2nd etc. Sure there's more clusters, but literally EVERYTHING goes and literally EVERYTHING is a break shot. Triple combos that you NEVER shoot on a 9er, you can fire in on a bar box, etc. So yes there's a lot of clustering on tiny tables but huge pockets more than negate that and it's mesmerizing how some allegedly smart people think 8ft tables are hard with 5" pcokets. What a joke lol really. I'll take a break shot on an 8ft against someone else of equal ability on a 9fter if the pockets were the same size every single solitary fricken time ever in life ever ever. To think otherwise is just nonsense. My highest run I ever had was on a 7fter and when I missed I almost ran it again on my 2nd attempt but I dismissed it. Why? Because small tables don't count. Engagements below the hard deck shouldn't count and the only reason it counted at all with Mosconi is because he was Brunswick's BOY.

Instead of pumping up heroes with could've been and would've been logic and trying feverishly to convince a pool community that 8ft tables are soooo tough with 14.1 (BS), how about we all kneel before Zod in regards to John's 626 on a NINE FOOT TABLE.... ON VIDEO....beating the prima donna's high run by 100 on a tougher table.

Best post yet.

Regards,

John

4pointer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After reading this whole thread, I like this post the most. If anyone here follows John on Facebook and saw the set of HUMONGOUS run numbers during each scheduled attempt, no one would think he was a dog to AAAAAAANYONE in the history of 14.1. I'm not saying Mosconi couldn't beat him or that others such as Thorsten and a few others can't beat him. I'm merely saying no one in history is an odds favorite over him in his current punch. No one.

No one.

I love reading all the Mosconi nuthuggers who I won't name....

".... Yeah, but... Mosconi quit on X ball runs..."

So WHAT. That's meaningless unless you're a fanboy. All it means ever is he ran X that time. Nothing more. In fact, every time he ran 200 on a real 9ft table with 4.5" pockets and wanted to quit, I'd bet him 5000 he wouldn't run to 400. If Spidey could go back in time, A) Mosconi would never take the bet and B) if he did, he'd be broke in a few exhibitions because stats and math matter... A lot. That's why that argument is mindless. Ifs ands and buts mean zero and tall tales mean zero.

What you don't hear a lot about is how Mosconi used to biatch and moan every time he missed early, often blaming the cloth, balls, lights whatever. He had a prima donna attitude. Hal used to tell me how the players at Cochrans never used to let him sit on the bench...not because they hated his ability, but because they hated his princess attitude. So all this talk about how he'd run a gazillion if he didn't quit is baloney. If he could have, he would have... He couldn't, which is why he didnt.

Moving on to table size. On a 5"+ pocketed table, the easiest table is a 7'er, 8'er is 2nd etc. Sure there's more clusters, but literally EVERYTHING goes and literally EVERYTHING is a break shot. Triple combos that you NEVER shoot on a 9er, you can fire in on a bar box, etc. So yes there's a lot of clustering on tiny tables but huge pockets more than negate that and it's mesmerizing how some allegedly smart people think 8ft tables are hard with 5" pcokets. What a joke lol really. I'll take a break shot on an 8ft against someone else of equal ability on a 9fter if the pockets were the same size every single solitary fricken time ever in life ever ever. To think otherwise is just nonsense. My highest run I ever had was on a 7fter and when I missed I almost ran it again on my 2nd attempt but I dismissed it. Why? Because small tables don't count. Engagements below the hard deck shouldn't count and the only reason it counted at all with Mosconi is because he was Brunswick's BOY.

Instead of pumping up heroes with could've been and would've been logic and trying feverishly to convince a pool community that 8ft tables are soooo tough with 14.1 (BS), how about we all kneel before Zod in regards to John's 626 on a NINE FOOT TABLE.... ON VIDEO....beating the prima donna's high run by 100 on a tougher table.
steal your lines and post it wrong thread .
standing ovations to comment about 626 !

Poolshootindon

Registered Pool Offender
Silver Member
Mosconi’s run was vs an actual human being opponent. Schmidt’s was against who exactly? Nothing amazing to me. He still holds the highest run on video though.

And how many shots did Mosconi's opponent shoot during his record run? Maybe John should have had a friend hold a cue while running 626 so he could say he had an opponent. :)

Congrats to John..

JoeJester

Registered
Lots of differences between John Schmdt's achievements and Mosconi's.

The table ... well, how does a modern table compare to the one used in the exhibition match? We could use Dr Dave's Table Difficulty Factor for a comparison. Without going into all the measurements, Dr Dave's paper (https://billiards.colostate.edu/bd_articles/2013/nov13.pdf) has the 9 ft diamond cut pro as 1.07 difficulty and the gold crown as a 0.91 difficulty. So there runs on a Gold Crown should be higher about 110 (GC) to 93. (psst ... that valley bar box is a 0.77)

Mosconi was in an exhibition race to 200, and was at 200-3 when he continued the run to 525. Schmidt's run did not have an opponent, and I don't know how he started the run, but, never the less, it is quite the accomplishment.

I've heard of another player running 700 and Mosconi is reputed to run 1000 in practice. Naturally no affidavits or video exists of these two feats. The ancient Chinese proverb of the faintest ink is more powerful than the strongest memory, applies.

Now, however the record people decide, I hope this spurs an interest in 14.1

I know a venue with 4 inch pockets. That certainly is not conducive to big runs, but I think there could be some serious contests with straight pool runs, starting with ball in hand and a favorable break ball position to start the run. I'd say charge $10 per attempt and stoke the pot with $100 in a race to 100. The prize money becomes all the fees collected and the pot combined for the first to 100. Then incrementally increase the run and the initial pot. You could discriminate by doing a xxx fargo rate and lower plus an open with a larger initial pot and fee.

Don't forget to video the attempts.

John has my congratulations on an excellent run. I'm thinking he attempted it 1000 times since he started this quest. Long hard work paid off.

So, who is breaking the record next week? Good luck to all who try.

p.s. It won't be me.

Last edited:

chas1022

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amazing! Congratulations to John for making history! :thumbup:
I agree this is amazing and good for pool. Look I wrote something that appeared to some as down playing what John has done. Look there is no down playing what he achieved, this record was considered the milestone that would never be broken. Well it was broken by 100 balls and John will probably set a new record. I don’t care or really know if Mosconi quit or missed people have said he did miss butthe record was set at 526 and John beat it. Now people can argue that Mosconi could have run more balls with a better cue, cloth or what ever. The same arguments can be made about shooters that shot before Mosconi. Sports or anything in general the equipment gets better in time but also John shot on a harder table and John broke a record in a game that is not played as often as it was played back then. What John has done is resurrect straight pool as the top game to play. Those of us that play this game know how hard it really is and love it. Look at all the great players that didn’t play much straight pool like Reyes and Hall because it just doesn’t pay that much, maybe that will changeThanks John for what you have done for pool.

Last edited:

chas1022

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's been documented by several here that his run did indeed end on a miss...
I stand corrected on if Willie stopped or missed a shot , that was my mistake. But it doesn’t matter because John broke the record by 100 balls and is now the high run record holder without any doubts because it’s recorded.