Votes: 54 62.8%
  • B. Aim correctly to the shot

Votes: 32 37.2%

• Total voters

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnny Archer asked on Facebook:

I got a question for everyone. Is it more important to: A) Hit the cueball correctly or B) Aim correctly to the shot? Answer A or B, please.

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm gonna go with >

letterA_gallery__533x400.jpg

What good is aiming correctly if you don't hit what you're aiming at?

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
Johnny Archer asked on Facebook:

I got a question for everyone. Is it more important to: A) Hit the cueball correctly or B) Aim correctly to the shot? Answer A or B, please.

you should FB Johnny & suggest that he Poll it here, amongst players & peers.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When it comes down to it I think you need both in order to execute the shot. If you are aimed correctly but cue inappropriately to cause throw or deflection then not only do you miss your position from bad cueing but you might also miss the ball. Then of course if you cue precisely with bad alignment or aim then that is no good either.

Prrhaps what he means is which should you put more thought into.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member

sorry Pink no peers here.....

PJ would be,... assuming he ever actually hits a ball but until then I think they have all been run off.....

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
When it comes down to it I think you need both in order to execute the shot. If you are aimed correctly but cue inappropriately to cause throw or deflection then not only do you miss your position from bad cueing but you might also miss the ball. Then of course if you cue precisely with bad alignment or aim then that is no good either.

I agree. That said. The most precisely accurate high powered rifle in the world is useless except as a club if one does not know how to direct the bullet through aiming it.

If on the other hand you give one a similar rifle & tell them that it shoots 1 inch left at 100 yds an individual that knows how to aim may be able & probably would be able to hit a bullseye with it.

I know it's not a perfect analogy & what if the barrel is such that one can not predict the direction of the mis.

But...that is food for thought on an entirely other subject.

Best 2 Ya,
Rick

PS This was not meant to be directed to you specifically but to the general readership.

PSS I think one or the other, good aim or good stroke, will foster growth in the other aspect.

PSSS I also think that both can grow & get better at the same time as long as one knows what is required to pocket balls.

PSSSS I also think that the things one learns correctly mostly on their own have more long lasting impressions.

Last edited:

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yeah, right. He's already has 355 replies over there (looks like all players), this got 355 views. Lol

There's a much bigger reason that the pros don't post here than the "rough treatment" they get. FB is a huge stage compared to AZB. If a guy wants a fan club, this is the worst place to start one.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, right. He's already has 355 replies over there (looks like all players), this got 355 views. Lol

There's a much bigger reason that the pros don't post here than the "rough treatment" they get. FB is a huge stage compared to AZB. If a guy wants a fan club, this is the worst place to start one.

What are the pros saying? Cueing or aiming?

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think he only gave two choices for a reason. The issue is which is more important, not which is the only essential.

I think that everybody learns how to aim good enough to make shots real early on. I don't even think about aiming for most shots, it's just very clear exactly where I need to put the CB.

Now getting it there is a whole other story, and getting the CB where I want it to go after that is really what it's all about, and that's all about how I hit the CB, both in my stroke and in knowing where to hit it. The CB is the game to me. If you got that rock on a string the rest of the game is easy, but those who can do that are few and far between. So for me, how you hit the CB is the most important (but not the only) part of the game.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you haven't aimed correctly, then the stroke required to make the shot cannot be a good one, conversely, stroke it well and you'll miss.

If one aims perfectly, it actually takes a very poor stroke, such as hitting considerably to either side of the intended hit, to miss the shot.

In terms of positional play, which is what separates the players at the top level, a good stroke is an absolute must.. but still, the aim must remain good.

So it depends a bit on the context of the question.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ha, ha! Good point.

I said "players" were responding, not pros. I don't think even JA himself has weighed in on his own question, but I sure am curous to hear what he has to say about it. ;)

Oh man for some reason I read players as pros. I wasnt trying to make a point just genuinely curious.

Thanks for the link.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh man for some reason I read players as pros. I wasnt trying to make a point just genuinely curious.

Thanks for the link.

That's OK, I didn't think you were being a nit or anything. ;)

Now some would draw the distinction between players and PLAYERS. I should have said mostly "bangers" are responding, but I don't know them, so there may be a lot of high-quality shooters responding. I responded, but I'm definitely a banger.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
B then A

That's my excuse and I'm(cue)"sticking to it."

Anyone can HIT the "broad side of a barn"
but
it still takes AIM to ''get'r go'n'' it in the right direction.

Last edited:

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow! It was 3 to 1 in favor of the CB just a few hours ago. Now it's only 3 to 2.

Looks like the aiming folks finally crawled out of bed. :p

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you could hit the cue ball correctly, assuming 'correctly' means hitting the cue ball the correct way to make the shot, then you don't need to aim.