Joshua Filler … Psyops?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Glad you found it, Jay.

That spot where Whalen's earlier events were held, the Elks building in LA, looks like quite a place, with a storied past: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park_Plaza_Hotel_(Los_Angeles)

I just got off the phone with Allen Hopkins. We had an interesting conversation about a lot of things, including Lou's 150 and out. Allen was pretty sure it happened the year before Ray Martin won the tournament for the second time in 1974, making it 1973. It was not the final match though, my mistake there. Allen told me he went to the losers side and played Gene Nagy who also ran 150 and out on him.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got off the phone with Allen Hopkins. We had an interesting conversation about a lot of things, including Lou's 150 and out. Allen was pretty sure it happened the year before Ray Martin won the tournament for the second time in 1974, making it 1973. It was not the final match though, my mistake there. Allen told me he went to the losers side and played Gene Nagy who also ran 150 and out on him.
I msg'd Sal on FB and that is what is he said as well, '73 World tournament.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Couple questions Mr. Helfert (I see/hear you so much on Youtube, feels like Mr. to me) Somebody told me Butera did a 10 or 15 minute run somewhere in Redondo Beach. True? and...

Are there any pics of Gene Nagy? Only heard a smattering of stuff of his abilities.

Like a lot of folks these days, I have more free time than usual. In fact, I’m quarantined at my parents’ home in NYC with my mother, father, and one older brother.

I watched some of the Quarantine 10-Ball Match between Filler and James Aranas. What a spanking! When Filler hits a certain gear, it’s like he can’t race around the table fast enough to get to the next shot.

One aspect of his game struck me as odd. While Aranas almost always removed the rack (Magic Rack?) before taking his first shot. Filler often left it on the table for the entire runout.

Why?

Was he so focused on his game that he didn’t even notice it? Or so confident that he couldn’t be bothered?

In these heady days of conspiracy theories … well, here’s my contribution:

Leaving the rack on the table was an in-your-face gesture to Aranas. A mental middle-finger to an opponent. “I’m so superior that even physical distractions can’t … um, distract me.”

A reverse form of sharking, if you will. Or if you won’t.

Stay well, everyone.

Sunny

I remember SVB doing the same thing. He would always leave the magic rack on the table, and run completely out with it sitting there.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Couple questions Mr. Helfert (I see/hear you so much on Youtube, feels like Mr. to me) Somebody told me Butera did a 10 or 15 minute run somewhere in Redondo Beach. True? and...

Are there any pics of Gene Nagy? Only heard a smattering of stuff of his abilities.

I have no knowledge of that specific run but Lou always play extremely fast so it wouldn't surprise me. He could run a rack of 9-Ball in less than a minute and a full rack in less than two minutes. The way he put racks together was scary and for many years no one would play him a long 14.1 challenge match; not Mizerak, not Sigel, not anyone!

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are you thinking of some other match? That 2015 Ginky Memorial final match was won 11-4 by Shaw in about 66 minutes, and it was a ball-return table: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOEODjKDTw8

One of Shaw's real speedy matches was his 9-1 win over Immonen in the semifinal match at Turning Stone XXIII (Jan. 2015) in about 23 minutes. But that table also had ball returns. (And Mika conceded after scratching on the break in Game 10.)

Thanks for the heads up.
That 20 minute match wasn't the finals, which was a race to 11.
The 20 minute match was a race to 9 and sent Deska to the loser's side.
Brian was shooting lights out until he faced Mr. Shaw.