Joss Inlay Fabrication

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
I would like to know how this inlay was fabricated and applied.

Joss Butt Large.jpg

Thanks

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Thanks for looking at this and posting.

I have no real base of knowledge or vocabulary. I have worked with wood all of my life, but my area of exposure ends at framing. I have been trying to figure out "how was the inlay made" and "how was this applied to cue" since I bought this cue over fifteen years ago. My comments should be given little weight. The more I look and analyze, the less I know.

When I trace a perimeter of a triangle, the treatment at each intersection alternates between two: solid (run) or cut (butt). This is what causes me to think "interlaced".

Last edited:

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
Each triangle is made up of 3 inlay parts. Also each triangle was cut from one slab of wood so the grain structure runs continuous throughout each triangle. The six inlays fit together in such a way that they give the illusion of the wood weaving over and under its self. Hope this helps.

Alan
Phelps Custom Cues

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Each triangle is made up of 3 inlay parts. Also each triangle was cut from one slab of wood so the grain structure runs continuous throughout each triangle. The six inlays fit together in such a way that they give the illusion of the wood weaving over and under its self. Hope this helps.

Alan
Phelps Custom Cues
This makes sense. Thanks, How is it incorporated into the butt?

DeeDeeCues

This makes sense. Thanks, How is it incorporated into the butt?

The maple bits are cut from a piece of maple. The black butt gets pockets milled into it. The maple bits are the same size and shape as the pockets in the black butt. Some dude then puts glue into the pockets in the black butt and taps the maple pieces into the pockets. The glue dries and the maple pieces are turned or sanded flush with the black butt.

So, the inlays are not 'applied', they are inserted into the butt. If you still have questions, look it up on youtube. There must be a thousand videos.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
I am familiar with this process you desctibe, but I could not imagine the precision required to do it by hand, plus I thought it was impossible to mill (CNC) sharp points.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I am familiar with this process you desctibe, but I could not imagine the precision required to do it by hand, plus I thought it was impossible to mill (CNC) sharp points.

Bob (and others) have some amazing videos you should check out:

(as you already know), it takes an incredible amount skill to pull off a nice cue. If you're on facebook, Black Boar has amazing photos of some of his detailed inlays.

1664112311679.png

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Thanks. I have been amazed by CNC since I first learned of it, but the rounded points on schons, and then others, just brought me oh so down. A hybrid method combining CNC and hand cuts seems to be the most logical explanation at present.

billsey

Registered
Using a sharply tapered bit, you can get sharp points by gradually raising the bit as it approaches the end of the cut. You do the same when you reverse all that to create the inlay so one side has a V grove tapered into the butt and the other has a V rising above the background. When the two are fitted together and cut to depth, the two pieces leave a sharp point.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You will noticed only the parts the were cut with the inside of the bit are sharp. All outsides are round. Typical method.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As for how the maple inlay was cut, yes. The black was either filled with glue, or another method was used for the long sharp corners.

As for how the maple inlay was cut, yes. The black was either filled with glue, or another method was used for the long sharp corners.
The black was just left standing upright in between the maple inlays. A cutter can pass something like that and leave it sharp. It looks to me like that whole design could be done with a .020" bit and there be little to none hand touch up to do. Yes black glue does wonders when dealing with ebony.