Joss ivory joint help

tduncan

Bet something...
Silver Member
Its a Joss with some upgrades. They do one off stuff all the time that doesn't get seen. This is just an example of it. Its a shame more doesn't get seen. Nice cue.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its a Joss with some upgrades. They do one off stuff all the time that doesn't get seen. This is just an example of it. Its a shame more doesn't get seen. Nice cue.

Probably an accurate take on it.

The Joss shop is very capable. I agree, much goes unseen.

Have you ever seen a sleeved ivory joint from them?

A cue like this...I would think it would be signed or have their "Handmade" branding on it. The fact that it has neither, as well as no number, makes it mysterious to me.

Certainly it could have been ordered that way.

morenokra

Registered
Do you know any cue maker that used to do joint like this? I have seen a lot of cues with ivory joint but most of them are fully and not like this one

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Do you know any cue maker that used to do joint like this? I have seen a lot of cues with ivory joint but most of them are fully and not like this one

Understand, you have no desire to sell this cue, as you've repeated. We won't expect to see it up for sale. Ever. I think that's good, as you should keep it and enjoy it.

To answer the question, dozens of cuemakers make a piloted ivory, or composite joint, where the shaft insert and tenon enter the joint. When you said "fully," you were probably referring to a flat face joint, usually done with a larger joint pin, sometimes completely flat, sometimes with a countersink. The insert inside the joint, I've seen from the Tascarellas, and I've seen the top joint plate from Black Boar. The insert from the Tascarellas is stainless steel; yours is a bit harder to tell what the material is, as Doc said above.

The joint looks like ivory, though when it is the fine grain like this, I usually expect to see a change of the grain to the more blank space in the tusk, though there are some sections where the finer grain covers a good deal of space. Looks like you might have that. The ferrules are a bit harder to tell. Could be photography, but the color looks slightly darker, and it looks like it could be melamine, rather than ivory. But there's no way to be sure without seeing it in person, and checking out how the shaft tenon was done.

For something this unusual, I would think that Dan Janes would recognize it, but apparently, he didn't...

Hope this answers some of the questions.

All the best,
WW

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
this cue is so unique
if dan janes didnt recognize it
to me there is 1 questions to answer
1) is dan getting so old you cant trust his memory ?
if the answer is no
dan janes didnt make the cue
jmho
icbw

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this cue is so unique
if dan janes didnt recognize it
to me there is 1 questions to answer
1) is dan getting so old you cant trust his memory ?
if the answer is no
dan janes didnt make the cue
jmho
icbw

Dan does say he does not remember cues as well these days. I have heard this several times. But on a fairly recent (modern anyway), fairly unique cue?

But my thought is that the cue very well may have been made by Stephen Janes.

morenokra

Registered
Understand, you have no desire to sell this cue, as you've repeated. We won't expect to see it up for sale. Ever. I think that's good, as you should keep it and enjoy it.

To answer the question, dozens of cuemakers make a piloted ivory, or composite joint, where the shaft insert and tenon enter the joint. When you said "fully," you were probably referring to a flat face joint, usually done with a larger joint pin, sometimes completely flat, sometimes with a countersink. The insert inside the joint, I've seen from the Tascarellas, and I've seen the top joint plate from Black Boar. The insert from the Tascarellas is stainless steel; yours is a bit harder to tell what the material is, as Doc said above.

The joint looks like ivory, though when it is the fine grain like this, I usually expect to see a change of the grain to the more blank space in the tusk, though there are some sections where the finer grain covers a good deal of space. Looks like you might have that. The ferrules are a bit harder to tell. Could be photography, but the color looks slightly darker, and it looks like it could be melamine, rather than ivory. But there's no way to be sure without seeing it in person, and checking out how the shaft tenon was done.

For something this unusual, I would think that Dan Janes would recognize it, but apparently, he didn't...

Hope this answers some of the questions.

All the best,
WW

You can be sure this cue will not for sale ever my friend, i have sold BBcustom (worst thing i did in my life) Tascarella and few other best known but this is 100% not for sale cue :smile: