Judd Trump to play U.S. Open.................

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
...That said, when Alex played a pro snooker event he had no seeding and played Stephen Maguire in round 1. Alex would have done better if he got to play the number 128 ranked player or a club player.
The snooker tournaments are completely seeded, so as a Q-School entry he's lucky he wasn't playing Selby. Not that Maquire is a pushover.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
The snooker tournaments are completely seeded, so as a Q-School entry he's lucky he wasn't playing Selby. Not that Maquire is a pushover.
Absolutely. They have a much stricter set of criteria for qualifying and seeding. Just musing on the differences in treatment with Judd getting a made up seeding criteria for this event. I don’t fault matchroom. The longer he is in the event the more exposure he brings.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely. They have a much stricter set of criteria for qualifying and seeding. Just musing on the differences in treatment with Judd getting a made up seeding criteria for this event. I don’t fault matchroom. The longer he is in the event the more exposure he brings.

it's hard to gauge his speed. he's a recent world champion, until last month ranked no. 1 in the world, arguably the straightest shooter on the planet atm. would be kind of weird not to seed him imo.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Drago says Trump can't win 9 Ball...

“If Judd wants to play pool, give him my number. I haven’t picked a pool cue up for two years but I could take a few quid off him!” - Drago

gerryf

Mark Selby was runner-up in the 2015 Chinese 8-ball World championship, losing to Darren Appleton (21-19). Selby beat Chris Melling on the way to the finals.

Here's what Mark Selby can do!

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Selby was runner-up in the 2015 Chinese 8-ball World championship, losing to Darren Appleton (21-19). Selby beat Chris Melling on the way to the finals.

Here's what Mark Selby can do!

selby is a different story as he used to be a pool player. mick hill, darren, melling still consider selby the best english 8-ball player ever.

gerryf

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
it's hard to gauge his speed. he's a recent world champion, until last month ranked no. 1 in the world, arguably the straightest shooter on the planet atm. would be kind of weird not to seed him imo.
Different games though. By that reasoning Albin Ouschan should be able to play in the UK Championships and get a 25th seeding. I know it’s because Snooker is a bigger game and Trump is the biggest star there. But you wouldn’t see Djokovic get top seeding in a professional Squash tournament. Or maybe you would because I’d watch that lol.

As much as I’m keen to see Judd do well, at the end of the day (I think we all know) it’s a marketing move.

Matchroom are great at building interest, and this has certainly worked. People like me, Snooker fans suddenly now have a interest in seeing how he does. And I guess Pool fans are just as interested in seeing how a top Snooker player performs in a top Pool tournament. Creating more buzz around the tournament.

Judd can’t loose, he gets a free holiday, and probably a large appearance fee, payed by Matchroom. He plays a few games, and has some fun. If he looses it was only to be expected, if he wins the wow!!

Either way Pool will be the winner, because his presence creates interest and that means more people will watch.

But as has been said already, Judd isn’t going to switch games.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As much as I’m keen to see Judd do well, at the end of the day (I think we all know) it’s a marketing move.

Matchroom are great at building interest, and this has certainly worked. People like me, Snooker fans suddenly now have a interest in seeing how he does. And I guess Pool fans are just as interested in seeing how a top Snooker player performs in a top Pool tournament. Creating more buzz around the tournament.

Judd can’t loose, he gets a free holiday, and probably a large appearance fee, payed by Matchroom. He plays a few games, and has some fun. If he looses it was only to be expected, if he wins the wow!!

Either way Pool will be the winner, because his presence creates interest and that means more people will watch.

But as has been said already, Judd isn’t going to switch games.

you might wanna check out tony drago's journey into pool. plenty of matches on youtube:

pockets were looser back then, but drago had some great performances after switching to pool. just as in snooker he was appreciated among fans

you might wanna check out tony drago's journey into pool. plenty of matches on youtube:

pockets were looser back then, but drago had some great performances after switching to pool. just as in snooker he was appreciated among fans
He was a well loved Snooker player, I remember him well. One of the fastest player I’ve ever watched.

I didn’t realise he had such success in pool, (quick glance at Wikipedia) if anything he had more title wins although not so much money.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It should be noted, though, that the "pool" he won was not exactly pool. It was with small balls on something that looked like a small snooker table.
It was English 8-ball or at least one version of the rules. Nothing like what I see in 9 or 10 ball.

It’s the problem with pool in Britain, you can go to any pub and it will have different rules.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It should be noted, though, that the "pool" he won was not exactly pool. It was with small balls on something that looked like a small snooker table.

back then the world championships in english 8-ball was played on an 8ft snooker style table. now it's 7ft i think.

they are indeed tighter than american tables, so the gameplay differs quite a bit, as does the rules (no ball in hand etc). it's a niche game for sure. but most of the big names in that niche game considers selby the goat.

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was English 8-ball or at least one version of the rules. Nothing like what I see in 9 or 10 ball.

It’s the problem with pool in Britain, you can go to any pub and it will have different rules.
English 8 ball has standardised rules. People in pubs just haven't read them.

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
back then the world championships in english 8-ball was played on an 8ft snooker style table. now it's 7ft i think.

they are indeed tighter than american tables, so the gameplay differs quite a bit, as does the rules (no ball in hand etc). it's a niche game for sure. but most of the big names in that niche game considers selby the goat.
I think they've always used 7 ft for pro tournaments. Usually a Supreme Winner table or similar. They might look like a snooker table with the green cloth, but they don't play all that similar- cushion and pocket shapes have different templates (and not just smaller).

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think they've always used 7 ft for pro tournaments. Usually a Supreme Winner table or similar. They might look like a snooker table with the green cloth, but they don't play all that similar- cushion and pocket shapes have different templates (and not just smaller).

yep, but i'm only talking about the WC. the televised stage of the world championship was on 8 foot tables:

not sure if the event is still played, but if it is it's probably 7 footers all the way now