Jump/break/playing cue, break/play cue, separate shafts?

weakfingers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone here shoot with either of these combos, rather than having a separate break, jump, and playing cue? With a quick release for the shaft, I'd think it would be an advantage to break and play with the same cue, just switching out the shafts. Perhaps, the break shaft would have a phenolic ferrule and break tip, and the playing cue would have all the right playing specs.

Just saw this online, Poison cues has a play/jump/break combo with two shafts: http://www.ozonebilliards.com/poison-cue-vx21bl.html
 
Why would you.....

Does anyone here shoot with either of these combos, rather than having a separate break, jump, and playing cue? With a quick release for the shaft, I'd think it would be an advantage to break and play with the same cue, just switching out the shafts. Perhaps, the break shaft would have a phenolic ferrule and break tip, and the playing cue would have all the right playing specs.

Just saw this online, Poison cues has a play/jump/break combo with two shafts: http://www.ozonebilliards.com/poison-cue-vx21bl.html

Most people have a different weight break than player. That would be a giant pain in the ass.
Can you imagine playing 9ball and you break, switch shafts to your player, then make the 1 - 9 combination, then switch to your break shaft, break, then back to you player.
 
I did this very briefly after I bought my Predator shaft. I'd bought it matched to the butt of my break stick, so I'd break... switch shafts... play... switch shafts... break... switch shafts... play... switch shafts... break... switch shafts... play... switch shafts... break... switch shafts...

You get the idea, or should I continue?
 
I very briefly had a J/B with two shafts, one for the break and one for the jump. They were great at what they did, but it was enough of a pain fore to get rid of it fairly quickly. If space was an issue and you could only carry one cue, a j/b/p might be the answer, but that's the only time in my mind
 
My breaker weighs significantly more than my player and most definitely hits different.
 
I would break with a cue off the wall before I screwed and unscrewed 40 times a night.
 
I regularly play, break, and jump with one cue. It definitely has it's advantage when you hit dead stroke, and it just feels good to do one cue.

best,

Justin
 
I know lots of guys that break and play with a jump break but with the same shaft. Lots of players use the gilbert jump breaks with a medium to hard tip to play with, break and jump.
 
I used to break with my playing cue for a long time. The only problem is when you get down to the last few layers of your tip and you ruin your ferrule or snap it off like I've done before. I almost did the same thing with my replacement shaft and knew I should probably try out a break cue. Even with a hard tip you'll probably run into the same problem. Breaking with a long tip just feels strange to me.

Long story short, I love my Mezz Power Break Pro with the H shaft.
 
Last edited:
Just some food for thought, if you plan on competing, many organizations consider breaking down a cue as a concession of match. Oftentimes, a player can avoid this issue by simply stating to his opponent that he plans on switching shafts because of an equipment-related issue like your tip fell off or you're using your second-favorite shaft. I'm not sure how a TD would feel about someone switching shafts each game.

If I were you and I planned on competing this way, I would ask the person(s) in charge if I would be allowed to do this.
 
Don't some leagues consider it a forfeit if you unscrew your cue if the match isn't over?

I own a few cues that have both player and breaker shafts, but it's more about having a backup in case something goes wrong, as opposed to having a one-butt jack-of-all-trades cue.

IIRC, Mike Gulyassy offered the Arsenal which let you mix and match player and break/jump shafts with full size/jump butts.
 
I would politely refuse to play with someone who insisted on switching shafts before and after every break shot.
 
I would politely refuse to play with someone who insisted on switching shafts before and after every break shot.

Thanks for all the responses guys, it's an interesting conversation. I plan on having my current player stay my playing cue, but if I really like the extra shaft on my new cue, I'd rather use that and switch out the shafts.

To the person I quoted above... even if the switching of shafts would take only two seconds or so? It'd be a quick release pin.
 
With practice I'm sure you could switch shafts faster than the other guy can rack, if the loser must rack for the breaker.

But, why would you want to? It doesn't cost that much to get separate cues and the money you spend will save you time and energy and is less likely to annoy the opponent.

Several players, including pros, break with their player, they don't feel they need a special tip to make great breaks, or that their cue will be damaged if it's well-made.
 
Back
Top